Tough crowd last night

This is a discussion on Tough crowd last night within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Last night I posted a thread Car jacking type scenario where I presented a situation I found myself in. I wasn't being particularly aware as ...

Thread: Tough crowd last night

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Tough crowd last night

Last night I posted a thread Car jacking type scenario where I presented a situation I found myself in. I wasn't being particularly aware as it was late at night and I was tired. Plus, it sort of snuck up on me as I was just stopping at a light and inadvertently found myself next to a bus stop with unsavory types.

A few people sort of pounced on me for all the mistakes I made without offering any advice on what to do better next time.

I would just like to remind people of the charter of this forum.

1. This is supposed to be a friendly place where we can get together to discuss firearms and defensive scenarios.

2. Everyone makes mistakes. I made a bunch of mistakes (hey, at least I didn't just leave full auto M4 at the stop. And let's not even bring up OCing the shower door installer.). The key is to recognize the mistakes and correct them before something bad happens in real life.

3. I can take the spanking with no problem, but after the spanking, how about some ideas on how to avoid the situation next time.

4. We have a lot of new members and if we pounce on them for all the beginner's mistakes we all have made, we are going to get a bad reputation.

A lot of you know me as I have been quite active for a while. I have come a long way since I first started posting and I attribute it all to this forum. Needless to say, I still have a long way to go. Hopefully I can do that without finding myself either shot, in jail or dead because of something I could have prevented based on me asking advice.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I appreciate your willingness to post when you know you could have made better decisions at the time of the event. I would rather learn by reading than learn by doing the wrong thing. Years ago, my Dad told me, "Try to learn from the mistakes of others. You'll never live long enough to make them all yourself." I do make my share of mistakes, and then some, but I have certainly learned from reading about the experiences of others.

I think folks were direct with you because they know you. With friends, we can be direct, right?

Exactlymypiont,
    Although I was not involved in that thread, I understand where you are coming from. No criticism here. We all make mistakes. Stay safe.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Sucks that you got jumped on like that.

Just remember, the best mistake to make (if one has to be made) is the one you can post on DC.com the next day.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I don't make mistakkes.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Darn EMP, can't believe I missed the chance to jump on you!! j/k

We all make mistakes, it can't be avoided. I remember being told years ago, the day you stop making mistakes is the day your dead. I wish I could say I've been able to give as much to the forum as I've learned from it.
    Last edited by archer51; November 24th, 2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You did a dumb thing parking next to the curb at a bus stop and you did a dumb thing by not keeping some distance between you and the car in front. When you do dumb things and TSHTF then you just have to pay the price
    After this one comment, the "tough crowd" grading came. Not all folks said things so bluntly, in that thread.

When a post ends with "any suggestions?" then it's likely to get them. Not everyone's going to be all peaches and cream in responses.

Reality is: a primary thing that can be done while stopping in a queue is to allow room to move, in case SHTF. Could have been said more smoothly, but several folks mentioned this along with other suggestions.

All the other posts were decidedly less sharp, suggesting the group wasn't jumping on the tactics taken, just the one person was.

Good reminder, though, about holding our water when it comes to presenting opinions and critiques. Doesn't mean the critique won't come, though. If warranted, then it will and it should. But it can be delivered in many forms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

jfl
    Don't worry about it.
    I missed the post but I'll tell you, in my experience, the harsher critics come from the people with the less experience.
    Those who have been there know how it goes and will only suggest how one should do things differently the next time.
    Really, it is not worth loosing any sleep.
    I know a lot of people on this forum like your posts, even if they do not agree.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Hey, EMP I didn't see the thread, keep your head up and don't get down and discouraged. You're a valuable part of this forum, I get a kick out of some of your posts, the silly ones make me laugh.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I replied to your post last nite and hope I didnt offend you. I tried to relate my situation to yours and give my recourse. I'm sure nobody intended to make it personal. Its one thing to give constructive criticism, but to just criticise, is not helping.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

DC Founder
    You did a dumb thing parking next to the curb at a bus stop and you did a dumb thing by not keeping some distance between you and the car in front. When you do dumb things and TSHTF then you just have to pay the price
    Had the post, in any way, have said you were dumb, it would have been edited/removed and possibly an infraction issued for being a personal attack. As it was, however, it said "you did a dumb thing". The poster attacked the action instead of making it personal. We all do dumb things, the trick is to live through them when we do.

It sounds to me like you were thinking and considering the situation even though you inadvertently set yourself up for a risky situation, so I would say you did alright. Anyone that gets self righteous and pretends to have never done something similar is not being honest, IMO.

I would, though, while we are on the subject, appeal to those that may be endlessly grumpy or just having a bad day to temper their posts when responding to threads asking for opinions. If you normally answer in an abrupt manner, you're likely to get the same in return. We are here to be a learning resource for our members, not to give members a bully pulpit from which to berate others.

Remember, you have no "duty to post" here. If you cannot remain civil, just move along without posting....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I appreciate all the replies.

I will be the first to admit that I made mistakes. I will take my spanking. But I was not offended, insulted or anything like that. I am pretty thick skinned and many times very self-deprecating. In fact, I have had people come up to me and say "Are you going to let him insult you like that?" I usually retort, "Was that an insult?" No worries.

I just wanted some people to be aware that they came down a bit on the grumpy side on that one. And if you think I am going to cut down on my posting, forget. I have 10 more in the wings.
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; November 24th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    I openly admit I'll jump down somebody's throat when they post about "dumb things", this is a serious business with serious consequences.
    Although I didn’t post in the thread questioned, my advice is offered on a take it or leave it basis and I'm not here to blow sunshine up any dark crevices.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i like almost all your posts EMP...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Ancient Klingon proverb.
    You learned from the experience and hats off for sharing so we can learn too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Links