'New Posts' link without logging in? - Page 2

'New Posts' link without logging in?

This is a discussion on 'New Posts' link without logging in? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I understand what you are getting at, but, the way the forum currently works is by reading a cookie that is set when you log ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'New Posts' link without logging in?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I understand what you are getting at, but, the way the forum currently works is by reading a cookie that is set when you log in. The next time you log in, after a previous session, the "New Posts" function will read any new posts made since your LAST VISIT, not a period of 24 hours. This function cannot work unless your account ID is recognized by logging in.

You may be correct though, that there might be a way to view all new posts over a 24 hour period lapse without having to be logged in as this would not require a dedicated account cookie data. However, this would lead to a lot of new posts in your query.

I dunno, just tossing my thoughts out there.

Oh, I did notice under "Quick Links" there is a menu option for a "View Todays Posts" function. Not sure if its there when logged out but it might be a workaround for you.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I understand what you are getting at, but, the way the forum currently works is by reading a cookie that is set when you log in. The next time you log in, after a previous session, the "New Posts" function will read any new posts made since your LAST VISIT, not a period of 24 hours. This function cannot work unless your account ID is recognized by logging in.

You may be correct though, that there might be a way to view all new posts over a 24 hour period lapse without having to be logged in as this would not require a dedicated account cookie data. However, this would lead to a lot of new posts in your query.

I dunno, just tossing my thoughts out there.
    I understand the reasoning behind the necessity of logging into your own account, but what I guess I'm trying to get at is a way to easily access recent posts without having to use the stupid iPhone keyboard. Maybe a tab for "Threads updated in the last 24 hours"? Is that even possible?
    HK45c V1

DC Founder
    The forum software may allow it if we changed from cookie to database based tracking. As George said, though, we are restricted by what the software allows. If changing to the database tracking method, sorry, but database tracking is not something I am prepared to do because of the obvious overhead.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    The forum software may allow it if we changed from cookie to database based tracking. As George said, though, we are restricted by what the software allows. If changing to the database tracking method, sorry, but database tracking is not something I am prepared to do because of the obvious overhead.
    I won't feign an understanding of what you just said, but if it costs the site more to do this, then consider my request withdrawn. Thanks for the reply, Bumper.
    HK45c V1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    As far as controlling cookies on an iPhone, I am not aware of any. If someone can shed further light on this, it would be much appreciated.
    As I said I don't know anything about iPhones, but as a reference librarian my life is research so here are a few items that may help.

iPhone: Managing Cookies in Safari

Digg - iPhone Safari Cookie bug fixed

IPhone: iRemember Fixes iPhone's Cookie-Forgetting Problem

Fix your iPhone cookies iPhone News

Hopefully one of the above will provide the solution to your problem.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    As I said I don't know anything about iPhones, but as a reference librarian my life is research so here are a few items that may help.

iPhone: Managing Cookies in Safari

Digg - iPhone Safari Cookie bug fixed

IPhone: iRemember Fixes iPhone's Cookie-Forgetting Problem

Fix your iPhone cookies iPhone News

Hopefully one of the above will provide the solution to your problem.
    Thanks, but the first doesn't work and the last 3 are only for jailbroken phones.
    HK45c V1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links