'New Posts' link without logging in?

This is a discussion on 'New Posts' link without logging in? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just a suggestion/request. Can you add a tab in the toolbar for 'New Posts' without having to sign in? If I'm sitting around away from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'New Posts' link without logging in?

'New Posts' link without logging in?

Just a suggestion/request. Can you add a tab in the toolbar for 'New Posts' without having to sign in? If I'm sitting around away from my computer, it's a chore to sign in and then get to the new posts tab on my iPhone. What say ye?
    HK45c V1

2. Remove Ads

I never log out. Just hit the quick links link and scroll to today's posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I never log out. Just hit the quick links link and scroll to today's posts?
    I don't either, UNLESS I'm away from my computer. Unlike my desktop, my stupid iPhone will automatically log off with inactivity. I'm often away from my desk during the day. Would be nice to access new posts and kill time without the hassle (and with this stupid phone, it's a hassle) of repeatedly logging in.
    HK45c V1

You can't have your phone save a shortcut perhaps? I know nothing of the iPhone.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    You cant have a "New Posts" function without logging in because the "New Posts" are unique to your account. If you dont sign in the forum database doesnt know who to query the "new posts" too.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Bumper changed the forum over a year ago so that you have to login to view posts. I believe he did this because one of the ways you set your advertising rates and such is to track how many people have active accounts and login. So I don't see him changing it back.

I use the little check box right under the login that allows the forum to remember me. Saves me having to login each time. I use a Windows Mobile so not sure how the IPhone technology works. Maybe JD will see this and respond as I know he surfs the forum from an IPhone.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

The forum 'remembers' me...

Stay armed...check the box...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Bumper changed the forum over a year ago so that you have to login to view posts. I believe he did this because one of the ways you set your advertising rates and such is to track how many people have active accounts and login. So I don't see him changing it back.
    This only applies to some of the content on the forum and was done, in addition to the reason Scott said, to encourage participation in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    You cant have a "New Posts" function without logging in because the "New Posts" are unique to your account. If you dont sign in the forum database doesnt know who to query the "new posts" too.
    There's your answer right there. Without logging in the forum has no way of knowing what you last viewed.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

+1 for checking the box below the login. That works on my desktop, my laptop and my phone. Sometimes those little cookies are great.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Okay. Guess that idea is DOA, since it's been nixed by Bumper. And to answer the question, "Does the iPhone remember your login?" Answer is an emphatic 'NO'. If it remembered my login, I wouldn't have even made this request. Typing anything on an iPhone is a chore, even brief logins and passwords. Apple really screwed up that portion of the interface.
    HK45c V1

VIP Member

partial solution

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Okay. Guess that idea is DOA, since it's been nixed by Bumper. And to answer the question, "Does the iPhone remember your login?" Answer is an emphatic 'NO'. If it remembered my login, I wouldn't have even made this request. Typing anything on an iPhone is a chore, even brief logins and passwords. Apple really screwed up that portion of the interface.
    We have an iPhone; actually I'm somewhat disappointed and sorry we got it, but now stuck with two year contract on both phone and data package.

Anyway, you can buy a stylus that helps with the typing.

I seldom do web searches on it, and DC didn't seem to render properly either.

I use it mostly for brief e-mails (to check e-mail), photos, and the GPS. The GPS is not really good as it doesn't work well, or at all, once you are off the well trod path with G3 unavailable. Also, acquisition of satellites can be very slow and the dang thing runs through the battery way too quickly.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread's main question/point, but sometimes these new hi-tech gadgets are more glitz and promise than useful.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Two things. 1) Bumper didn't nix the idea. He simple restated what TallyXD had said. The idea is an impossibility. There is no way for the system to show you your new posts until it knows who you are. As far as it is concerned every post is new to you because you are an unknown visitor.

2) It's not whether the iPhone remembers your login, but rather whether it will save a cookie. If it will save a cookie then checking the box for your login to be remembered will work. Check the setup for the iPhone browser and see if there is a choice of whether to accept cookies or not. All the browsers I am familiar with have the option. I am not familiar with iPhone and don't know what browser it uses. As said earlier, if there is a way to make it work JD probably knows it. When he checks by I'm sure he will give us the definitive answer.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Two things. 1) Bumper didn't nix the idea. He simple restated what TallyXD had said. The idea is an impossibility. There is no way for the system to show you your new posts until it knows who you are. As far as it is concerned every post is new to you because you are an unknown visitor.

2) It's not whether the iPhone remembers your login, but rather whether it will save a cookie. If it will save a cookie then checking the box for your login to be remembered will work. Check the setup for the iPhone browser and see if there is a choice of whether to accept cookies or not. All the browsers I am familiar with have the option. I am not familiar with iPhone and don't know what browser it uses. As said earlier, if there is a way to make it work JD probably knows it. When he checks by I'm sure he will give us the definitive answer.
    My apologies if my wording sounded terse. I have the utmost respect for the Adminstrators of any forum of which I am a part. He/she/they can do as they please. It's not a democracy. We're just visitors. Speaking in general terms, if Bumper chooses to reject an idea, that is 100% his call and I have no problem with that. An explanation is neither necessary nor required.

Back to this specific example, I have to point out that there IS a way to show "new posts" without logging in. I'm a member of two other non-firearms related forums that use vBulletin and both have a New Posts tab on the menu bar regardless of whether or not someone is logged in. My guess is that the threads displayed for a 'visitor' are ones from the previous 24 hours.

As far as controlling cookies on an iPhone, I am not aware of any. If someone can shed further light on this, it would be much appreciated.
    HK45c V1

How can the system know which posts are new to you if you don't log in?
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RevDerb View Post
    How can the system know which posts are new to you if you don't log in?
    As I stated above, these 'New Posts' are probably just ones posted over the last 24 hours. Honestly, I don't know, but it is done. I can PM anyone a link to these other forums if they would like to see for themselves.
    I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this. If it can be done, great. If not, no one (myself included) will lose sleep over it. Would just make forum browsing a bit easier when I have to use my crappy phone.
    HK45c V1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links