Post Count Update Delay

Post Count Update Delay

This is a discussion on Post Count Update Delay within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Several times over the past few days, I've noticed that my post count hasn't gone up after making a new post. Is there some delay, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Count Update Delay

Post Count Update Delay

Several times over the past few days, I've noticed that my post count hasn't gone up after making a new post. Is there some delay, or is something happening to my recent (or past) posts?

-JT

OT posts don't count.
    HK45c V1

Ohhhhh! I never knew that. I think that'd explain it.

Thanks!

-JT

Bumper just started that about a month ago. Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pic-posts.html
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

DC Founder
    Off Topic and Member Buy, Sell, Trade.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I was just thinking that moderator posts shouldn't count either. Only seems fair as they are not really public posts.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator
    I think we should do away with post counts all together, because, really...

Who cares?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Who cares?
    +1

Unless we're getting paid for them. Are we? I'll take cash, PM me for the address.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Who cares?
    Well, when reading someone's response, it kinda makes a difference to see if he has 42 posts versus 9389 posts. What doesn't matter, to me anyways, is how many threads he has started.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    I agree with doing away with post counts. The registration date tells you all you need to know. Besides you will either recognize an active member or not. Their post count could be arbitrarily high due to them posting welcome messages for every new member and making one word replies to threads. So post counts mean nothing and are useless unless you are going to research a member's post history. If you are going to do that then post counts are still useless because you have to read through their posting history anyway.

Seems like we can do away with post counts. While we are at it the stars can go away as well. Just stuff built into the forum software we don't need. I suppose the issue could be that I do not know how difficult it is to remove these things. Some things are easier than others, as I understand it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I agree with doing away with post counts. The registration date tells you all you need to know. Besides you will either recognize an active member or not. Their post count could be arbitrarily high due to them posting welcome messages for every new member and making one word replies to threads. So post counts mean nothing and are useless unless you are going to research a member's post history. If you are going to do that then post counts are still useless because you have to read through their posting history anyway.

Seems like we can do away with post counts. While we are at it the stars can go away as well. Just stuff built into the forum software we don't need. I suppose the issue could be that I do not know how difficult it is to remove these things. Some things are easier than others, as I understand it.

What he said.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Senior Moderator

Oh no ,heck no.
    The post count tells me how much time I spend on the computer.
    Since I suffer from CRS, its the only way of knowing how much time I spend wasting time. Other wise, I wouldn't know.
    As for bumping the post count, I finally figured out that if you welcome new people that show up, you can just cut and paste the same statement over and over and over and it really bumps up your count quick like.
    That way, a newbie that has an inferiority complex like some of the newer posters here display, can say hello enough to new members that within a week they'll appear to be salty veterans that have been carrying guns for most of their lives and maybe more people will listen to what they have to say.
    So no, I don't want the post count eliminated because it is oh so important to some people. Removing the count might even cause some to lose self esteem and possible seek drug therapy from a shrink.
    I swear, some of these Moderators (like that mean ole Scott) just don't appreciate the simple things in life.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I was just thinking that moderator posts shouldn't count either. Only seems fair as they are not really public posts.
    They are forum business, relevant to their duties and therefore their posts count. And, really, most of them are in the regular forum as our moderators also heavily participate in the threads. Are you saying that a member that posts heavily to "off topic" should have those posts counted and the posts made by moderators relevant to the topic of this forum should not? I can't for the life of me figure out the logic of that or, more importantly, why this would be important.

And, for the record, nothing is changing. It is what it is. There's those that may agree with it and those that may not, but I'm satisfied with it.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Several times over the past few days, I've noticed that my post count hasn't gone up after making a new post. Is there some delay, or is something happening to my recent (or past) posts?

-JT
    What does post count tell someone....

... how many time one has said "welcome", to many 'new members' threads.

...Or maybe, "nice gun/congrats/I've been looking at one of those for a while" threads

...Or the classic "+1". Post count doesn't matter.

Mod's feel free to delete my "post whore" posts on this thread.

Just trying to make a point.

God Bless.
    Last edited by Bumper; January 4th, 2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Merged
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I don't find the post count usefull, what I do find usefull is the "Stars" and the Join Date. Just because someone joined at the birth of DC (back when it was CC), does not mean they are active, or had valuable input. I for one have a hard time remembering screen names. Ones like "Thumber", "Bumber", "Ram Rod", that are leaders are driven into my memory, but there are others that have incredible input but their names just don't stick in my head.

I noticed that there are now "stars" where we can rate threads - this is the one feature that I wish we all used a little more, as it would help me find those excellent threads a little faster.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links