Possible New Forum?

This is a discussion on Possible New Forum? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; While searching and lurking the forums today I was thinking that maybe a dedicated forum to Firearm Basics could be added? The forum could cover: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible New Forum?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

Possible New Forum?

While searching and lurking the forums today I was thinking that maybe a dedicated forum to Firearm Basics could be added? The forum could cover:

• Basic Firearm Handling
    - Items specific to gun handling, aiming, grip positioning .. etc.

• Maintenance & Cleaning
    - We all need to keep our firearms clean and in good working condition.

• Firearm Safety
    - Firearm safety is something we should be reminded of everytime we touch a firearm.

It seems like there really is no good place to post these topics, I seem to find them scattered all over the place. It may help searching topics easier to find. Just a thought.

So, what do you think?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

2. Remove Ads

Good idea and it may help some answers some repetitive questions.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

+......johnsr

+1

Maybe a Firearm Safety & Maintenance forum to keep the forum count down... ?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    +1

Maybe a Firearm Safety & Maintenance forum to keep the forum count down... ?
    Not a bad idea.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

That is a great Idea with pics to demonstrate some things that words aren't enough
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great Idea!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I could definitely see the "Firearm safety" deal. These are basic rules and none of them should be up to interpretation. The 'Basic firearm handling' part is going to depend a lot on the wide assortment considered 'Firearms' and then open to interpretations and variations...possibly creating some confusion. Most of the "basic" handling instructions for any firearm should be covered under the 'Firearms Safety' venue. Last but not least...the cleaning and maintenance. While the intention would be good.....opinions would run the gamut and once again..have the good possibility of becoming confusing with various take down methods and personal choices which may deviate from manufacturer specifications or manuals. Just my opinions of course.

DC Founder
    All of the above should be contained withing General Firearm Discussion forum. Let me do some research and see if it would actually warrant a separate forum....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The thought was to have a specific place for members to go to research specific items. After a little more thought, maybe we cut it to 2 forums. Basic Gun Handling and Safety (they're somewhat related) and the other forum could be Maintenance & Cleaning.

I have read several user profiles and we have many members who are certified instructors either via the local level, military, LE or certified by the NRA. These instructors and educators would have a special place to go to help others with questions. Rather than stumble upon their questions here and there, a specific forum could expedite their answers. As a certified instructor myself, I know that I could contribute easier. Firearm safety is probably the single most important issue we all deal with on a daily basis.

As far as the maintenance and cleaning portion. Basic cleaning and maintenance of a firearm is exactly that. Due to the many different firearms that are owned by our members, the forum would most likely need to be "generic" in nature. I'm sure we have a few members who are actually gunsmiths or armorers that are trained in the takedown, repair and actual function of a specific firearm. These individuals would be valuable contributors if they had a specific place to go to help others with their questions. I have not identified if we have these types of members or not. I suspect we may have a few.

I do realize that adding a forum requires moderators and additional administration. I dont know how this would stress the current staff or if new moderators would need to be aquired.

The DC forum is a great knowledge base. We have members of all ages here. Some members are novice and some are very seasoned veteran gun owners. I do understand that this is the internet and if you can search, most likely you can find any answer you want. If we can keep the members within the community and help them here, they wont find much need to find other resources to have their questions answered. We are a family here.

Bumper -

If you would like some help with your research, feel free to ask. Thanks for listening.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

+1 Definitely like the idea

Yes, yes and yes. Oh, and yes.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

DC Founder
    After discussing this amongst staff, we have decided that this might be a good thing to do given all of the new gun owners purchasing and carrying their guns.

The two new forums, "Basic Gun Handling & Safety" and "Maintenance & Cleaning" will be added as subforums of the General Firearm Discussion forum, in the same way that we added the "Reloading" forum.

I will go through all of the old threads related to these new forums, as time permits, to populate them, but am depending on all of you to contribute and make it a useful reference. After a few months and if they haven't "taken off" we will have to consider rolling them all back into the General Firearms Discussion forum.

Thanks go to Rcher for the idea.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have seen videos on the building of AR lowers, but none that really show the right angle of what things look like installed. I would find this useful, along with other firearms, so maybe Maintenance, Cleaning, & Assembly.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Thanks Bumper and DC staff.

I truely hope that the members here will take full advantage of the additional information that these 2 forums can provide. I suspect that the "Maintenance & Cleaning" forum will grow fairly fast and be quite active.

I am also hopeful that the members here can benefit from the "Basic Gun Handling & Safety" forum. As I mentioned above, we all need to be conscious of the safe handling of a firearm as we handle them on a daily basis. Even if one person learns something from this new forum, I think we here at DC have done our best.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links