New forum with specific state sub-forums?

This is a discussion on New forum with specific state sub-forums? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I'm fairly new here but have noticed something. Many of the posts are someone asking can I carry here? Is this legal? etc... The following ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm fairly new here but have noticed something. Many of the posts are someone asking can I carry here? Is this legal? etc... The following responses are often along the line of "depends on where you live". Would it be possible to get a forum with subforums for each state? I think that the individual state sub-forums could be used to discuss legal issues specific to each state, or up coming events, or which gun shop or shooting range.

I know it's been brought up here before. And I may have brought it up, and I can't remember, and can't find it. But it's a good notion for good reasons. This site grows by leaps and bounds, because it's the best available in the internet today. I would imagine in due time something like this would happen....but then again, I figure the site would need some help to broaden the database. Give what you can IMO, and support the future. ;)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The problem with this is that there are 50 states (57 if you ask Obama )

That is a lot of subforums to deal with and moderate.

Second, all that information you speak of that is requested is but a few clicks away on their respective states government site or multitudes of other gun-rights websites.

Even if the information was posted in such a subforum, not many would bother to search or even check it before they asked their question anyway.

What would make more sense and would be easier is to have a moderator make a "sticky" thread labeled "Gun Laws by State" and list each states gun laws site as a link to be clicked on by the requester.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

JD
    Administrator
    It's come up a few times, but it never hurts to ask.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ach-state.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...851-state.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...c-threads.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    ...What would make more sense and would be easier is to have a moderator make a "sticky" thread labeled "Gun Laws by State" and list each states gun laws site as a link to be clicked on by the requester.
    But even then that's a lot of links to keep current.

Senior Moderator
    Acutally, just a sticky with links of the administrators of concealed carry laws of each state would do the same thing.

Otherwise, as much as things get revised, changed, edited, added, deleted in the laws of each state it would be a virtual nightmare to try to keep up with them. It would be a full time job just to keep current.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Acutally, just a sticky with links of the administrators of concealed carry laws of each state would do the same thing.

Otherwise, as much as things get revised, changed, edited, added, deleted in the laws of each state it would be a virtual nightmare to try to keep up with them. It would be a full time job just to keep current.
    I thought that was called Handgunlaw.us

All kidding aside, currently it is the best resource for state info with links to the actual laws.

Senior Moderator
    You know I actually thought of mentioning Handgunlaw.

Slider does an exellent job of maintaining it and he does his best to insure that it is accurate....I've been known to use it myself.

Actually, that site probably ought to be sticky.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just submitted a complete thread listing each state and a link to that states handgun/firearms licensing and laws pertaining to concealed carry or at least to their licensing application site.

I used as many references as possible to get teh correct page. Some are very vague and hard to navigate.

If it is approved it will hopefully be a sticky in the "Reference" section.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    If it is approved it will hopefully be a sticky in the "Reference" section.
    It has been approved, moved and stuck. Thanks for your efforts.

Honestly, I doubt that we would ever add a "state specific" forum because it would require someone familiar with each state's laws to be brought on as staff in order to be accurate and effective. I also think it would be redundant to what handgunlaw.us already has. They are committed to keeping their site updated as laws change and deserve your visit.

I will, however, see if I can get permission from them to add a link to the concealed carry forum similar to what we did with the Rally Point in the "Members Meeting Place" forum, making the reference convenient for our members....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

you're so cool, Bumper.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
    you're so cool, Bumper.
    Sometimes, usually when I'm not wearing my jacket....

I did email Hangunlaw.us about us adding a more prominent link to their site. If they agree I will get it added as quickly as I can.
    Bumper

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

State Handgun Laws

Keeping up 50 states plus Territories, DC, NYC, Links to Mexico and Canada firearms laws is a big task. I have been doing it for over 12 years now and it can be a nightmare. Packing.org was needed. When it started info was hard to find and cut and pasting it into every state page was the only way to do it. Now info is available from state sources. That makes it much easier and less time consuming.

When Steve talked me into doing handgun law my first statement was there would not be a forum. 98% of the people use common sense when posting but those 2% who don't can ruin it. Case in point. How many times have you seen info posted on a gun site that was totally incorrect? Many times is what everyone will answer. It is a headache just watching forums and keeping the garbage out that can lead to someone getting arrested and thrown in jail. Plus you have that 2% that post foul language and do nothing but troll for someone to argue with.

We are in the process of changing Handgunlaw.us over and making state page for each state. the info for the state will be on one page with links to most of the information people need. It takes time to do that. Steve and I both do it as a part time job. But I have been doing it so long it is much easier for me. I know where most of the info is.

I am laying out all the state pages the same but over time they will change slightly. Maryland for instance does not let you link directly to most of their pages with their gun info. I am not a computer expert by a long way and so I have to go with what I got. Some states supply tons of info while others don't. But it is getting much better. Some state laws are a bear to look through while others are laid out great.

As for starting a data base here and just linking to each state is fine but I will tell you that in a short period of time it will be out of date. Things change and unless someone is dedicated to it it falls into disrepair.

When I was taking care of Packing.org and now Handgunlaw.us the thing people like about the sites better than anything else is that they were up to date. That is the most important thing. It was 8 weeks ago I went through over 1000 links on handgunlaw.us to make sure they all worked. 60 to 70 of them didn't. As I redo the site again I am finding links that don't work. If the site is not up to date then it is not worth having. So someone has to do it and I am the idiot who they found to do it.

Steve and I are both NRA Firearms Instructors. We know just how bad the info is needed. That is the biggest reason we do it. But going back the info has to be up to date. I have seen website come and go that try to do the same thing Steve and I are doing at Handgunlaw.us. I prayed that one of them would take off and I could retire. Trying to keep all the states straight takes time and that is what most people don't have.

What every web site needs that is trying to supply data is feedback. It is OK to send an email saying you are doing a good job. It is also very good to send an email and say you are screwing up or most importantly that there is an error and point it out. The one thing I know for sure is we will not make everyone happy. That comes with the territory.

But when you see a link that is not working. See even a little spelling error let us know. People want info that is correct and up to date. If we are going to try and supply them that info we should try our hardest to make sure it is correct and up to date. If we don't we are not doing them a service but a disservice.

We want people to use our site. We want to have a good reputation. The one thing we are not doing is making money on the site. We have no ads though we do link to Amazon.com with the books we recommend but we do that only as a service to our readers so they can find the book easy. We don't get anything for linking to them. We don't want to turn it into a money making site. We want to have a data base that supplies the correct and most up to date info available.

It is easy to ask for things like how about starting a listing to all the states. I am not slamming anyone for suggesting that. In fact that is how I got started in this. But before you do think about the work it takes to keep it up to date. The web is full of out of date information. Handgunlaw.us doesn't want to add to that list of outdated material and neither should anyone else.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Lead Moderator
    Thanks Gary! That explains things much better than any of us here could.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Websites aside, is there any accurate method of getting a states up-to- date gun law information? Does each state keep their statutes and laws up to date on their printed materials?

I was thinking that the material could be obtained through mail, put to PDF file and reviewed every few months and any changes made could then be added to a data base PDF.

I agree with you though. I recently submitted a thread approved by Bumper, and is now posted, that lists all fifty states and links to their webpage (or some facsimile thereof) for gun laws. I will admit that was a nightmare and I only spent a few hours on it. I cant imagine keeping it all current and up to date.

DC Founder
    Thanks, Gary, I just received an email from Steve and will be getting back to him later today. I understand your desire to not have a forum on handgunlaw.us for the same reasons I don't want to try to try to keep up with individual state laws. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the changes in Arizona laws which apply to me. Hopefully, we will soon have a link to your site so members can easily reference it....
    Bumper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links