Counter productive posts to the Second Amendment cause - Page 2

Counter productive posts to the Second Amendment cause

This is a discussion on Counter productive posts to the Second Amendment cause within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by Kerbouchard Chad, based on the title of your post, many would think that your thoughts were counter-productive to the 2A. If the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Counter productive posts to the Second Amendment cause

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Chad, based on the title of your post, many would think that your thoughts were counter-productive to the 2A. If the anti's see somebody participating in a gun forum thinking that other members are out of line, I would think that is much more counter-productive.

There are many of us who still believe that any restriction, even the smallest, most 'common-sense' restriction is an affront to our rights and blatantly unconstitutional.

I could just as easily say that anybody who posts that any restrictions are acceptable is an affront to our rights because an anti may see it and say, "Look, even on Defensive Carry, these guys think these regulations are reasonable."

Anything illegal is removed immediately. Anything disrespectful gets removed immediately. Everything else is pretty much fair game, and I think most of us like it that way.
    Thanks Kerb, I was looking for a way to say the same but couldn't find a diplomatic way.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post

I'm not so much worried about the antis. They're going to stay the way they are until they need to do otherwise. I'm more worried about fence sitters. I know when my wife and I decided to get armed we read a lot of info. If I'd hit this first, I would bet my wife would have disagreed to the point of veto. Its jsut food for thought.

If someone is considering carrying a weapon for self defense, they should base it on their ability to live with the responsibilities and possible consequences of that lifestyle, not on what they have heard or read on some internet forum.

I believe there is great information to be found on some website/forums but my willingness and decision to preserve my own life by carrying a gun was not based on anything I read here.

I believe it to be a necessity for me and regardless of the gun toting "nuts" that are definitely out there, it had no bearing on my decision to carry.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

DC Founder
    We really do try to stay on top of any hint of illegality, foul language, personal attacks, "off topic" and a few other "over the top" comments. But, as long as things stay civil and "reasonable" we generally let them run.

If there are specific posts any of our members encounter that need to be considered for edit or removal, you can use the report feature on each post. The staff will look at it and if it does violate our rules or seem "too much" we will consider an edit....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I could just as easily say that anybody who posts that any restrictions are acceptable is an affront to our rights because an anti may see it and say, "Look, even on Defensive Carry, these guys think these regulations are reasonable."
    I think you're confusing self censoring with government restriction. I'm not suggesting anyone be denied the right to make an ignorant post. I'm just saying a reminder that others are reading wouldn't be a bad idea. I cringe at seeing some of the posts here, but if others are ok with it I'm the odd man out and I'm ok with that. But please, don't confuse self censoring with restriction. Its not the same thing and one has nothing to do with the other.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Senior Moderator
    I think you're confusing self censoring with government restriction. I'm not suggesting anyone be denied the right to make an ignorant post. I'm just saying a reminder that others are reading wouldn't be a bad idea. I cringe at seeing some of the posts here, but if others are ok with it I'm the odd man out and I'm ok with that. But please, don't confuse self censoring with restriction. Its not the same thing and one has nothing to do with the other.

I think you are just advocating responsible posts. That is commendable.

With more and more people becoming members here, you have to understand that while some of what they post may be a bit over the top, or may even appear downright irresponsible to us, are things that they may not know or even have considered. They are here to learn, and everyone has to start somewhere.

Besides that, we get a kick out of some of the "mall ninjas", but we try not to let them get too crazy...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think you are just advocating responsible posts. That is commendable..........
    I agree. With Obama coming in, and his comments about being against concealed carry, we have an uphill battle ahead of us. You can bet that the Bradyites are gearing up for a run against guns in what is their best shot in awhile. United we stand; divided we fall.

Forgive my ignorance, what is a mall ninja?

Just asking because I don't frequent malls.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Just asking because I don't frequent malls.
    Google "Gecko45"
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

jfl
    Do you really think "antis" are monitoring this site that closely ???
    I have stumbled upon sites where I would be ashamed to have my name, even my "road name" displayed. The last one was a survivalist site; either these guys are nuts or I am missing something.
    Others border on insurgency.
    Most of them offer a lot bigger caliber ammo to the antis than the "worst" posts on DCC.

And I'll join the chorus saying that the Mods do a remarkable work here; THANKS guys !!!

Now making a decision about your personal security on what you read on the Net is not a good idea IMO.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, what is a mall ninja?
    So as not to get this thread off on a tangent go see this thread:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post979151
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    Do you really think "antis" are monitoring this site that closely ???
    DC is an open, publicly-accessible web site. It's popular and getting to be reasonably well-known among the carry community. No reason to think that it's not one of the top dozen or so gun-related web sites that are monitored by some of the zealots, to understand the pulse of things.

Keep in mind that anti-gunners aren't a single, monolithic crowd of unthinkers, with a zealot leadership and mindless directional control ... despite seeming so at times. Most of the millions are simply fearful individuals who, like us, have opinions and predilections about the things they're passionate about. Like as not, just like us, many to most aren't even affiliated with an organized group of any kind that's related to their interest in guns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ImChad View Post
    I'm with you on people "self censoring", being responsible in their posts or just stopping and thinking before they hit submit on a thread or post. I think some comments do, often, reflect badly on gun owners but most of the time, it just makes them look like a fool. But your concerns are well placed and it is a good reminder to all of us to try to take the high road while participating in any forum....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Several of us were talking in a restaurant that were present & past LEO's, past / present some other role in the justice system or law enforcement, and military. Yep, quite a group of us. We started talking about weird or violent cases we had seen, and how the "general public" couldn't handle the truth on how much is 'really' going on out there that they have no idea about. There is so much more than is ever reported in the newspapers, news, etc.

We all agreed, most people would move out of most even medium sized cities if they really knew all the things that go on.

If people knew, they would possibly change their minds about self-defense. But, you can't get that point across..... talking only with political correctness and being 'nice', because it's not a pretty subject.

I have heard people say " I don't want to know about any of that kind of stuff". ... because they want to bury their heads in the sand and act like it doesn't really happen in their world, and doesn't really exist. There is not much you can do for those people.....to me, the anti's are in that group.
    There's reality, and those who want to act like it doesn't really exist, and they don't want to hear that it does.

Senior Moderator
    There's reality, and those who want to act like it doesn't really exist, and they don't want to hear that it does.
    And they are many...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have heard people say " I don't want to know about any of that kind of stuff". ... because they want to bury their heads in the sand and act like it doesn't really happen in their world, and doesn't really exist. There is not much you can do for those people.....to me, the anti's are in that group.
    +1
    This is why the anti-gunners don't need a forum like DC to quote
    In reality you must deal with people ,its is easier to be anti-gun than
    anti BG.
    They hire cops and and as you said"bury their heads in the sand "and
    can blame them(cops) when the reality of dealing with BGs turns
    ugly.IE where were the cops when I needed them most?
    Not to say the police don.t make mistakes, its just easier to
    point the finger that a cop or a gun and say that or thy are the problem than to bare it yourself.Even if its their self defense.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links