Talk to me about last night's site crash

This is a discussion on Talk to me about last night's site crash within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; What happened? I'm glad to see the reply I was in the midst of made it to the boards, but other than that....what happened? I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about last night's site crash

What happened? I'm glad to see the reply I was in the midst of made it to the boards, but other than that....what happened? I was also left without a shortcut off my desktop. I remember seeing an attempt to find combatcarry.com by my internet search. Just looking for the lowdown. BTW...my new desktop shortcut just created is in basic html. How bad was it? Anyone can see the gap from 9:16pm to 1:44pm my time on the site. Thanks. Not picking about it, just concerned.

I noticed that myself. I was starting to get worried that the new leadership in Washington had shut the site down. I feel much better now.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Same here, plus two other gun forums as well, but they were only for an hour or so.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

DC Founder
    The forum did not crash. There are thousands of points between where an individual sits in front of their computer and the server resides. While outages can be a glitch in the software, the server, the host or anywhere else, I received only a couple of messages during that time which indicates that the problem originated somewhere other than our server. I have, however, emailed the host to see if they know of anything that could have been going on at the time.

I am confused about what you are saying about your shortcuts and searches. If we shut the server down completely, it would not cause any problems with shortcuts on your desktop or in your browser or search results on a search site.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Looked like a DNS outage to me as the name wouldn't resolve. Not a DC.com problem.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I noticed that myself. I was starting to get worried that the new leadership in Washington had shut the site down. I feel much better now.
    I am trying real hard to put this comment out of my mind. Fear monger!
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Looked like a DNS outage to me as the name wouldn't resolve. Not a DC.com problem.
    So, using the IP address should have gotten around that. What is the correct IP address to try, in such cases, then?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm pretty sure that there was some kind of attack going on. My browser would find the site, but would time out before it would get any response. My DNS would resolve the IP without trouble and whether I used IP address or URL I just got stuck waiting for a reply.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there was some kind of attack going on. My browser would find the site, but would time out before it would get any response. My DNS would resolve the IP without trouble and whether I used IP address or URL I just got stuck waiting for a reply.
    Arrrrrgh! Stop it!
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I'm in SE KS and went through the same outage. I was getting a little concerned as the only two sites I couldn't get to were DC and KSCCW. Thought maybe the new administration was after us already.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hey it is the internet. As long as their are thousands of machines handling dns requests, websites, and ip addresses there will always be failures somewhere in the system.

Just use that time when things go down to check over or clean your guns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My browser found the site then timed out. Think it might have something to do with those bright lights in the sky, hovering over my house.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator

I tried to get on several times and could not.
    So I shut down and went to sleep early for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I tried to get on several times and could not.
    So I shut down and went to sleep early for a change.
    I would have done that, but I was at work. Made for a really long night.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    That was my experience actually. I did type in the address to find out when the site was up again, and then my shortcut no longer worked or existed. I deleted my old shortcut and created a new one. My new shortcut loads nothing but text. I'll have to try again.

This is what I get now:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links