Problem with post count

Problem with post count

This is a discussion on Problem with post count within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Yesterday, I had 5 posts that were all listed as post 962. Maybe 2 posts were in the same thread, but the others were in ...

Thread: Problem with post count

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Problem with post count

Yesterday, I had 5 posts that were all listed as post 962. Maybe 2 posts were in the same thread, but the others were in different threads. Today, my post is listed as 963. What gives, and how can I get the correct count? Now, I saw another post that had the same problem recently. Now I don't post for numbers, or ranking, but it is nice simply to know what you've done. And if there's going to be a running count, it should at least be accurate.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Your post count is a dynamic display. It will always show your current total posts no matter what thread or post you are looking at.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

If you are posting in the Off Topic forum, your posts there won't count.

Administrator
    Yep, Off Topic posts will not increase your post count.

But, I just gave you 5 Gratis so that I could exercise my Assistant Admin powers and abilities that are far beyond those of mortal man.

I am not faster than a speeding bullet and cannot change the course of mighty rivers or bend steel in my bare hands or...leap tall buildings in a single bound but, I can increase your post count number by 5.

And no, I'm not doing it for anybody else - don't ask.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    I believe the "off topic" posts are, in fact, your problem. You can post all day long in that area and post counts will not go up. Likewise for Member Buy, Sell, Trade. Should you find that you actually lose post count by a point or two, the thread you posted to was probably moved (to off topic) or removed for some reason. I assure you we have not done anything. Off topic posts have not counted for over a year....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanks. And I wasn't aware about the off topic posts not counting. That's nice to know,as I'm easily confused.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

But, I just gave you 5 Gratis so that I could exercise my Assistant Admin powers and abilities that are far beyond those of mortal man.

LOL! Post counts aren't really important....(my goal is to catch up with SIXTO)
    Since you got an extra 5 from QK, that would make 976 for you......I'll be more than happy to donate the other 25 from my count to put you over the 1000 mark. I'm sure QK could use his powers to do that. I don't mind at all.

Administrator

Honestly we are very happy to have members contributing and actively participating + sharing knowledge and interesting stuff.

Some time ago I saw an "on line" evaluation review of DefensiveCarry and back then we were getting nearly 40 thousand people hitting DC per month.

So...incredible numbers of people are visiting this site to read and get "gun and carry educated" but, are not actively participating AKA posting comments or opening talk threads.

That is why some stuff gets deleted as being off-topic or frivolous or mean spirited.
    That is also one of the reasons why we watch for the language violations so closely.

BECAUSE....even though this site seems like a smallish, tight, & friendly community to the active participants...most participating members do not realize that their comments and opinions in reality have a vast reading audience that most are just not aware of.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Honestly we are very happy to have members contributing and actively participating + sharing knowledge and interesting stuff.

Some time ago I saw an "on line" evaluation review of DefensiveCarry and back then we were getting nearly 40 thousand people hitting DC per month.

So...incredible numbers of people are visiting this site to read and get "gun and carry educated" but, are not actively participating AKA posting comments or opening talk threads.

That is why some stuff gets deleted as being off-topic or frivolous or mean spirited.
    That is also one of the reasons why we watch for the language violations so closely.

BECAUSE....even though this site seems like a smallish, tight, & friendly community to the active participants...most participating members do not realize that their comments and opinions in reality have a vast reading audience that most are just not aware of.
    It's a give and take world. Most would rather take than give since it's easier on them. For those who feel they should give something in return for what they take, there's nothing like the feeling of being able to make a difference and contribute. You can't instill the will, it has to come from within, and I think for the most part, folks need to be less selfish in this world.

Administrator
    You're telling me that there are more than 5 or 10 people reading my ramblings?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am not faster than a speeding bullet and cannot change the course of mighty rivers or bend steel in my bare hands or...leap tall buildings in a single bound but, I can increase your post count number by 5.

Ok, How about by 30 then
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

I know round count is important never thought of post count

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I believe the "off topic" posts are, in fact, your problem. You can post all day long in that area and post counts will not go up. Likewise for Member Buy, Sell, Trade. Should you find that you actually lose post count by a point or two, the thread you posted to was probably moved (to off topic) or removed for some reason. I assure you we have not done anything. Off topic posts have not counted for over a year....
    But, that explains why I see so many almost spam like welcome to the forum posts where one member posts welcome notes to all people that joined recently using a generic welcome for multiple people, I guess they are looking to raise their post count. (I am not referring to admins etc. who welcome every new member or members who write personal or semi personal notes) I suppose that generic welcome notes would be good for at least 100 post per week without much thought or sincere effort for those so vain as to care about post count. Unfortunately, it does clutter the New Posts search option with a lot of identical posts on multiple threads.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    But, that explains why I see so many almost spam like welcome to the forum posts where one member posts welcome notes to all people that joined recently using a generic welcome for multiple people, I guess they are looking to raise their post count. (I am not referring to admins etc. who welcome every new member or members who write personal or semi personal notes) I suppose that generic welcome notes would be good for at least 100 post per week without much thought or sincere effort for those so vain as to care about post count. Unfortunately, it does clutter the New Posts search option with a lot of identical posts on multiple threads.
    Although we have always encouraged members to welcome new members, I have to agree with you on some posts that have started using graphics and no "real" welcome. I don't consider it spam or efforts to raise post counts, but I do consider it pretty impersonal and some of the thought is somewhat lost in the delivery....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

This sounds like a black market for post points. Please send me about 50 or so if you can spare them. How much can you get when you cash them in??

Links