Rehashing old threads, etc.

This is a discussion on Rehashing old threads, etc. within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I know I am a newbie here, but I have been around online forums for a long time. I have always wondered why there is ...

Thread: Rehashing old threads, etc.

Question Rehashing old threads, etc.

I know I am a newbie here, but I have been around online forums for a long time. I have always wondered why there is such a stigma attached to either folks bringing up an old thread or asking the same question for the umpteenth time.

#1 - A guy starts a thread that has been asked before, and quickly gets either a response something along the lines of "Hey dummy, this has been asked a billion times already, use the search function. " or the thread gets locked/closed/etc.

#2 - Some guys posts something new in an old thread and gets questioned why he is bringing one back from the dead.

I guess I am just kind of curious as to what difference does it make? Don't click on the thread if you don't want to read it, etc, etc. I guess each website has their own ideals and all, but what does it really accomplish?

Not trying to be a dummy, I'm really just curious. I mean, after all aren't we all here to talk and post topics to begin with?

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I really don't know but I suspect that, in part, it has to do with server storage capacity. Also, for people who are interested in a particular subject it is difficult to monitor and participate in simultaneous conversations on the same subject. Last it creates additional work for the moderators who I believe are volunteers.

Regards,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredpointer View Post
    I have always wondered why there is such a stigma attached to either folks bringing up an old thread or asking the same question for the umpteenth time.
    People have asked this a bunch of times before, why are you bringing it up again?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Some things have a very simple answer, have been the topic of many threads, and can be answered with a quick search. The search will probably get you quicker, and more results than your thread.

Some things have been posted a lot before, but have a more in depth answer, or one that is more personalized toward your exact situation. Some people are going to tell you to do a search. Others will more helpfully post links, and some will answer.

Necroposting can't really happen on this forum since threads are locked after so long. They are still available to look at though.

If everyone had to bring a fresh idea to the table with every post they made, you wouldn't see much activity. It's a forum, and you're going to see repeats. I could probably post a link to a thread answering just about every question asked on this forum...but it's kinda pointless. I'll let the moderators do the moderating.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

JD
    Administrator
    There's a couple different reasons....

1: Take this for example. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...carry-gun.html

This was posted twice in 10 minutes, there is a currently running thread on it elsewhere and I don't know how many times it's been posted prior, but I found at least three. I'm not knocking the guy who posted it, but just illustrating a reason for some closures. This is what we call "reposts" I have a folder in My Subscriptions with over 50 topics that get reposted on average twice a month.

2: Pending on how often a topic comes up, we may have just closed the latest go around due to one issue or another. Take CCW badges, those always end up getting closed. If we just rehashed "The Isreali Draw" and had to close it due to people getting snotty, we don't want to see a fresh topic coming up on it to restart the "festivities".

3: There are some topics that just don't need to be discussed unless something drastic has changed, prime example being "Can I carry in a post office?" The answer still is and has always been NO. Until the PO is no longer federal property you can't carry there. We don't need a three page dissertation on why you "should" "can" "want to" etc. carry at the post office. Too bad, you can't do it, move on.

4: Some of us do HAVE to read these posts. I don't know how many times I've read over "In what condition do you carry your 1911", "Do you carry one in the chamber" etc. Again, we don't need 100+ posts of "Cocked and locked" or "One in the pipe" As C9H13NO3 noted, the info is there, take some initiative and find the info. If it's been a few months in between the same topic and there's not a current thread, we generally let it run.

As for reviving threads, that doesn't happen much as they auto close after 6 months of inactivity.

I'd say more, but it's almost quitting time.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There's a couple different reasons....

1: Take this for example. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...carry-gun.html

This was posted twice in 10 minutes, there is a currently running thread on it elsewhere and I don't know how many times it's been posted prior, but I found at least three. I'm not knocking the guy who posted it, but just illustrating a reason for some closures. This is what we call "reposts" I have a folder in My Subscriptions with over 50 topics that get reposted on average twice a month.

2: Pending on how often a topic comes up, we may have just closed the latest go around due to one issue or another. Take CCW badges, those always end up getting closed. If we just rehashed "The Isreali Draw" and had to close it due to people getting snotty, we don't want to see a fresh topic coming up on it to restart the "festivities".

3: There are some topics that just don't need to be discussed unless something drastic has changed, prime example being "Can I carry in a post office?" The answer still is and has always been NO. Until the PO is no longer federal property you can't carry there. We don't need a three page dissertation on why you "should" "can" "want to" etc. carry at the post office. Too bad, you can't do it, move on.

4: Some of us do HAVE to read these posts. I don't know how many times I've read over "In what condition do you carry your 1911", "Do you carry one in the chamber" etc. Again, we don't need 100+ posts of "Cocked and locked" or "One in the pipe" As C9H13NO3 noted, the info is there, take some initiative and find the info. If it's been a few months in between the same topic and there's not a current thread, we generally let it run.

As for reviving threads, that doesn't happen much as they auto close after 6 months of inactivity.

I'd say more, but it's almost quitting time.
    All good reasons. Like I said, I was really just curious. Hope no one gets the impression I was being a dumb***. :)

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpointer View Post
    All good reasons. Like I said, I was really just curious. Hope no one gets the impression I was being a dumb***. :)
    No we didn't get that impression, it was a legitimate question. JD pretty much covered the answer to your question as well as I can but I will add a couple of points brought up above.

We have plenty of server space at this point so we never close a thread or refer people to the search feature to preserve space. We didn't get where we are now by restricting members' ability to use that space.

We also don't refer a member to the search feature to make them feel dumb. Many of our members don't use the search feature and, as anyone managing a resource such as this forum, it is an advantage to a member to use it in doing research. Every thread is here for you to access whether it was posted today or five years ago. Some of the best responses from a question are there to be searched out.

As JD said, though, topics that come up almost continuously are either merged with an existing thread or closed with a post asking the member to use the search. This is necessary sometimes in order to close stop fires that have just recently been put out.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links