Closing threads

Closing threads

This is a discussion on Closing threads within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; First I want to say that on this forum I believe the moderators allow us alot of leway. Much more than on some of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing threads

Closing threads

First I want to say that on this forum I believe the moderators allow us alot of leway. Much more than on some of the forums that I frequent. I have no problem with them.

This is a question I have wondered about a long time though. Why is it that when non-moderators think a thread has gone on to long, or been answered to their satifaction in the past, call for the threads closure?

Myself I don't understand that thinking. If I come across a thread I don't want to read I don't read it. I feel no need to ask the moderator to keep others from reading it.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    In reality, people asking a Moderator to close a thread doesn't happen a lot considering the number of threads that this forum sees.

Threads are closed for various reasons. Generally, if the Original Poster of a thread asks that it be closed, we'll usually do it with no questions asked.

If a thread gets reported the Mods that are on-line will usually discuss it and come to a consensus.Sometimes its gets closed, sometimes it does not.

Occasionally, a Mod will read a thread and decide to close it without any discussion. When that happens, its posted to the Admin Section and it open to discussion by any Mod that logs in and sees it.

People that feel like a thread is taking a downturn will make public comments about it. When we read several of these,we'll really start paying attention to that thread.Usually, if several people comment about it, then something in it is unfavorable and we'll close it.

Does that answer your question?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Most of the time it has to do with a thread degenerating into a posturing battle between DCers trying to one-up each other with their egos. What starts out as a valid discussion on the merits of certain tactical philosophies or equipment usage and their methods of deployment begins to deteriorate rapidly as one poster decides to post something he or she envisions as more knowledgeable than the previous poster. As other less knowledgeable posters massage the posters' ego with "+1s" and smiley faces, someone else will inevitably be compelled to interject their vast knowledge into the discussion, and then the professors will hold court until the problem has been beat to death or endlessly discussed to the point of diminishing returns..........

Does that kind of explain it??
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Does that answer your question?
    No, I wasn't really making on the moderators closing a thread. My question was to users make statements such as we have discused this before,please close it. Or in some other way lets it be known that they think a thread should be closed because someone is disagreeing with them.

Quite a while back this happened in a thread and I asked to person who wanted it to close why he didn't just stop reading it? Others joined me in telling him the same.

This is what i'm questioning. I don't understand it is all. Myself I learn alot from the threads that have conflicts. It seems to me they bring out the best arguments for each side.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    This is what i'm questioning. I don't understand it is all. Myself I learn alot from the threads that have conflicts. It seems to me they bring out the best arguments for each side.
    It does that and much can be learned. As long as they stay civil, they stay open.

As for people saying that it needs to be closed because it has been talked about before, they forget that we have lots of new posters here that may not have seen it. It does get a bit boring at times and they are just expressing their opinion about it.
    Every forum on the net gets a share of that.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I'm tired of this thread. Mods can we get this closed?

It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    LOL

Good one, Timmy...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Michael

C'mon, HG... Lock it!!!

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Well, ya got relocated... enjoy your refugee status...

DC Founder
    Normally we don't like to close threads, but when, as HotGuns has said, if they get contentious and compromise the civility of the forum. And, as he also stated, if the OP requests it we will normally consider his question or request for comments satisfied and close it for them. When other members call for it to be closed it is usually an indication that things are going downhill and we will either watch the thread closely or remove/edit out posts that are dragging it downhill. You can also bet that there is flurry of discussion regarding the downturn in the staff forum.

You have to understand that most of our members, including the staff, have been members of or involved with other forums that seem to encourage arguments (as opposed to discussions) and know the discord that usually follows. It often creeps into other threads as members decide that they don't like particular members. It is my opinion, as it has been for the past five years, that when discussions cross the line into arguments or private ******* contests between two (or more) members it is time to close the thread. Some of our longtime members know that this is how we do things here and are able to predict what is about to happen. Calling for it's closure is acknowledgment that things are about there.

Again, we don't like closing threads, but there is a time that some of them need to be locked....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It does that and much can be learned. As long as they stay civil, they stay open.

As for people saying that it needs to be closed because it has been talked about before, they forget that we have lots of new posters here that may not have seen it. It does get a bit boring at times and they are just expressing their opinion about it.
    Every forum on the net gets a share of that.
    I'm frequent one forum that uses 'one stop threads' for the reoccurring topics. Honestly I really don't like it, trying to wade through 100+ pages just to be sure you're not repeating something is really boring and most don't bother to.

I like the way we do it here, a topic comes back up often but with only a few pages it's easy to keep up with the direction the thread is going. Each time the topic comes up it takes a little different twist.

Holdcard.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

There is always a place and time for reposts...sometimes the questions ARE important to newcomers and the search function may either be unsussessful or a new concept to some.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

The reason this post is still open nobody double dog dared the Mods to close it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links