"New members" separate from New Posts?

This is a discussion on "New members" separate from New Posts? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I thought I'd float a suggestion that the "New Posts" menu entry on the top nav bar not include threads from the "New members" forum... ...

Thread: "New members" separate from New Posts?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

"New members" separate from New Posts?

I thought I'd float a suggestion that the "New Posts" menu entry on the top nav bar not include threads from the "New members" forum...

Don't get me wrong; I am not trying to be anti-social, and I certainly like seeing new members around here. I use the New Posts feature a lot, and I just find it cumbersome sometimes to have a page full of threads show up and 3/4ths of them are all just standard "Welcome to the forum!" responses.

My preference would be to visit the New Members forum specifically to jump in on those welcome threads, and have New Posts be more useful to me for following the issues/discussions type threads...

Anyway, I won't lose sleep if things stay the same. It was just something I was thinking about... Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good idea to me. I too notice that some people post 20 "Welcomes" at a time, and they all show up under new posts.

But then again, that's what the forum is about... community, and welcoming new members! Excuse me while I go and welcome some new members now.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

agree!
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

DC Founder
    I hope that the "culture" (for lack of a better) word of the forum continues to include members welcoming new members. It really is one of the things that encourages new members to participate rather than just lurk. Not that there's anything wrong with lurking but if everyone lurked there wouldn't be much to learn here.

That being said, I agree with you , but not sure they can be removed from the "New Posts" area. I'll check it out tonight and if I can shut it off, as a test, I'll do so. BUT, if we start not welcoming new members, I will probably put it back in....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I'll check it out tonight and if I can shut it off, as a test, I'll do so. BUT, if we start not welcoming new members, I will probably put it back in....
    I wholeheartedly agree with that.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

DC Founder
    Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there is a way to remove specific forums from the "New Posts" area. I'll check and see if there is a a Mod available to do it, but it's not likely that there will be....
    Bumper

I'm a member on other sites that actually have a user CP that allows each individual user to check-mark a box for each available forum they are interested in......a filter of sorts for the user. That way the particular user (member) can filter out any forums that he or she doesn't want to read or are not interested in and it's usually under the active topics listing, or the quick links pull down under recent posts or threads. Personally, when I log in here, I hit the quick links and then check today's posts. You can sort of filter things out yourself if you know how to go about it and make shortcuts of your own. IMO, the new members forum and the welcoming committee is one of the high points of this forum anyway. I've become a bit more random in my welcoming posts and break things up a bit. Sometimes I do run across a very long string of them early in the morning hours for my part of the country, but it is what it is. Not that I can't relate to your initial query though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm a member on other sites that actually have a user CP that allows each individual user to check-mark a box for each available forum they are interested in......a filter of sorts for the user. That way the particular user (member) can filter out any forums that he or she doesn't want to read or are not interested in and it's usually under the active topics listing, or the quick links pull down under recent posts or threads. Personally, when I log in here, I hit the quick links and then check today's posts. You can sort of filter things out yourself if you know how to go about it and make shortcuts of your own. IMO, the new members forum and the welcoming committee is one of the high points of this forum anyway. I've become a bit more random in my welcoming posts and break things up a bit. Sometimes I do run across a very long string of them early in the morning hours for my part of the country, but it is what it is. Not that I can't relate to your initial query though.
    I agree...I enjoy welcoming the new posters.
    It's the first place I look.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    I usually check there first to welcome new members, then I just scroll through the new user threads when using the "New Posts" search. Once you get into the habit it's pretty easy to do since like someone pointed out, they are usually grouped.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I hope that the "culture" (for lack of a better) word of the forum continues to include members welcoming new members. It really is one of the things that encourages new members to participate rather than just lurk. Not that there's anything wrong with lurking but if everyone lurked there wouldn't be much to learn here.

That being said, I agree with you , but not sure they can be removed from the "New Posts" area. I'll check it out tonight and if I can shut it off, as a test, I'll do so. BUT, if we start not welcoming new members, I will probably put it back in....
    What he said. Some people lurk for years because they think they will not be welcome or that they won't fit in. Not true on this site!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree...I enjoy welcoming the new posters.
    It's the first place I look.
    Can't agree with these two more.

I enjoy welcoming in new members, even if I've only been here less then a year. I know I felt good reading all the messages to me, welcoming me to the forum.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

"In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    Yeah, I saw that one, but I have tried to avoid making manual changes to code. I used to do it all of the time but when you install upgrades wind up losing a bunch of that code. Then everyone piles on and wants to know why it stopped working all of a sudden. Now I stick to supported mods that are able to be linked in the "product" system of vBulletin. Thanks, though.
    Bumper

I can CERTAINLY appreciate that. As an IT department guy we're forever fighting the problem. Hope something turns up for you.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Links