You're kidding, right?

This is a discussion on You're kidding, right? within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I hope people don't bother Bumper with PMs regarding the closure of the silly "Mexican Carry" thread more than they already have. Reasons for its ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You're kidding, right?

I hope people don't bother Bumper with PMs regarding the closure of the silly "Mexican Carry" thread more than they already have. Reasons for its closure were made clear as crystal by QKShooter in the original said thread. I'm an advocate of the Constution and free speech myself, but the reasons for the closure of the thread had nothing to do with censorship, as stated by Bumper. This thread right here has become silly enough itself, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if it were closed as well. At any rate, if anyone is still conerned, I believe if you go back to page 1 of this thread there might be a link to the original "Mexican Carry" thread. If you follow that you may read QKShooter's explanation (the last post), which should calm things down a bit. Jeez everyone. Take care.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Post Well, I'll Put It Here Also For Those Who May Have Missed It.

Regarding the closure of the Mexican Carry thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was nothing wrong with the question that was asked.
    The thread was NOT closed simply because the question was asked by a member wanting a definition of Mexican Carry.

The thread was closed because the question was answered and unfortunately it then became a magnet for other members to add postings that were discriminatory and offensive toward people of Mexican heritage/nationality.

Which is a violation of Rule #6.

I closed the thread after I deleted the content of the posts that were rule violations.
    In place of the member rule violations
    I copied and pasted Rule #6.

I left the thread there because the correct answer to the original posted question was posted in post #4.

That was the explanation by Massad Ayoob.

The original post only asked one question.
    Once the question was correctly answered then there was no need for the thread to remain open.

A simple question was asked.

The question was answered with the correct answer.

Regarding the posts where the content was deleted.

One was the very mocking youtube video of the Mexican Drive By Shooting titled Mexican Shooting Range.

The other one was mocking the Mexican people using Mexican slang type speech typed the way a member supposed that people from Mexico would talk.

SO...there you have it.

The reason the thread was closed.

I realize that some people have thicker skins and are not offended by jokes or comments or slurs or quips regarding their nationality, religion, race, or other.
    Some members do take offense.

Our forum members should not come onto DefensiveCarry - Click on a thread thinking that they are gaining useful and helpful "carry & firearm" information - and then be forced to decide if they personally are offended (or not) with regard to any posted "off topic" comments made about their religion - or their gender - or their nationality...or their race, etc.

No matter if the comment was intended to be light-hearted or "in good fun" or "just a joke."

That is just NOT a decision that they should be required to make on a firearm carry and home and self-defense forum.

Here's how I spell appendix.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thank you Mods.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The strict moderators on this forum is why I am here. I have broken the rules and received warnings and am glad for it. I support the moderator in the closure in question. I support rules and intelligent debate within context.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I do have one suggestion for all who read this thread. Take the time to not only read our rules, but to digest them. They are there for a purpose and that is to make this site the best it can be.

From where I come from "adults" read the rules and follow them whether they agree with them or not. If they disagree they follow the proper method to see about changing them. Quite often when doing this one of two things happens: 1) A better understanding of the rule and why it exists helps the person who disagrees to reach a different opinion. 2) A revision of the rule is made that better fits the situation. But if neither of these happen we keep following the rules.

I will admit that there can be one exception to the follow the rule position. That is when following the rule violates my principles. That is a matter of conscience and in that case if I come up against the rule I will if need be violate the rule. I will also be willing to accept the consequences of the violation and won't be bad mouthing the people whose rules I violated because they enforced them. My violation was a protest.

When you read and digest the rules. You will find that they all make sense. If you have a question about a rule or about how it has been interpreted use the PM function and as any moderator. The mod who gets the inquiry will either give you an answer or in the case of an action get your question to the mod who made the decision. Don't start that kind of inquiry in the open forum. When you do it is easy to step over the line from inquiry to insult and to find yourself on the outside looking in.

It is amazing how much light can be generated by spending a few minutes to get the other side of story.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I really don't mind being correct guys when I deserve it but let's be consistent throughout the forum.

A few comments that are currently on the forum after doing a very brief search (not my words):

1. The sweet sounds of sending Haji to "Allah" one round at a time

2. As I waited for the raghead to make my malt I noticed one of the officers I saw at the burrito shop.

3. I'm all about the "redneck gun and skeet club,

My post in that particular thread was intended to be humeros and in no way was defamitory towards Mexicans. I have spend many years in South America (retired Special Forces Soldier) and have made many hispanic friends not to mention friends I have in this country who are from Mexico.

By the way the wording I posted originally came from an old AL Pacino movie if I remember correctly where he said he knew Judo followed by:

JuDo Know if I'm carrying a gun
    JuDo Know if I'm carrying a knife
    JuDo Know if I'm carrying a Baseball Bat

If someone was offended by my post please let me know so I can apologize.

AL

Alelks, if I were you and were questioning whether my words were acceptable or proper as you did at the end of your post, I would have sent a mod a PM as dr_cmg suggested before I posted to make sure everything was okay.

It's tough for the moderators to be "consistent" as you put it when there are so many people to look after. That's what the rules are for. When people sign up to be members of Defensive Carry, they take an obligation to follow these rules. It's unfortunate that people break them, but it happens. The moderators do their best to enforce them, but can't look after everyone at the same time. I'd say they are consistent enough or as consistent as they can be.

Additonally, if you found those 3 comments you copied into your post at all inflammatory, why not again PM a moderator instead of posting them in this thread also? That question is purely rhetorical and doesn't require a response. This just defeats me. Calling the mods inconsistent on catching rule breakers: It's like saying, "Well this guy got away with murder, but this guy got caught. Man, these cops are inconsistent."

Partner, you have a lot of nerve. I'm not even a moderator and it's easy even for me to see that your first sentence in your post crossed the line from inquiry to insult.

What a mess this particular thread has turned into. The moderators have it rough sometimes.

Take care.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post
    I really don't mind being correct guys when I deserve it but let's be consistent throughout the forum.
    First, I don't think anyone mentioned that your post was the problem and since I am not the one that cleaned the thread up in the first place, I'm not sure yours was. I guess, though, that I will take your word for it and consider you were part of the problem.

Sometimes things you find humorous aren't humorous to someone of that particular ethnic origin. We happen to have a large number of Hispanics on the forum and I would rather not have them run off so someone can enjoy a joke at their expense.

As far as consistency goes, I think we are very consistent in our moderation and I believe that most of our members would agree. We cannot, though, catch everything. With an average of 1100 posts per day, we simply cannot be everywhere at once. If you find something that in your opinion should be edited, feel free to use the "Report" button appearing on every post. It is the most effective way to bring it to our attention.

A few comments that are currently on the forum after doing a very brief search (not my words):

1. The sweet sounds of sending Haji to "Allah" one round at a time

2. As I waited for the raghead to make my malt I noticed one of the officers I saw at the burrito shop.

3. I'm all about the "redneck gun and skeet club,
    Again, if you find something offensive to you, notify us using the "report" feature and we will consider doing something about it. I'm not sure anyone would consider "redneck" on the same level with ethnic jokes. I consider myself a "redneck" and am not ashamed when someone refers to me as such. Maybe in your neck of the woods it's different.

Some people like the way this forum is run, some people don't. We can't make everyone happy. We would prefer those that don't, find a forum better suited to what they are looking for rather than publicly spreading discord. All members agree to the exact same rules, including staff and those that choose not to follow them are usually not members here for long....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

But here in lies he problem.

The way it looks right now my post has been replaced withe rule #6. I am seriously offended by that and I'm not trying to be a butt about it because now it make me look like a racist in my opinion which is degrading/unacceptable to me. That is why I posted in this thread.

In my opinion the proper way to handle this would have been to delete the posts all together rather than hang a "Look, this guy got slapped with rule #6 sign) that he now has hanging around his neck for all to see.

Again no disrespect meant guys and gals so please take this in he way it is intended but I have to get this off my chest.

AL

PS I Carry IWB. If my post offended or insulted you I do apologize as that was not it's intention.

Administrator
    alelks

Let's approach this from a slightly different angle.

The question asked by the person posting the thread was:

"What is "Mexican Style" carry?"

"I'm just curious, What is meant by Mexican style carry?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So....how did your post help to answer the member with regard to the question asked in his thread post?

It didn't.

So I just now went back and deleted your post in that thread as being "off topic" to the thread.

Are you cool with that now?

Also I apologize because I just re-read our forum rules.

Forum Rule #6
    6. We do not discriminate in regards to religion, race, creed, gender, sexual preference, or national origin, nor will we tolerate, on this forum, those that do. Racial, ethnic, or religious slurs appearing in posts will be removed unless the slur that was posted was transcribed from an Al Pachino movie.

I must have missed that last part.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    alelks

Let's approach this from a slightly different angle.

The question asked by the person posting the thread was:

"What is "Mexican Style" carry?"

"I'm just curious, What is meant by Mexican style carry?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So....how did your post help to answer the member with regard to the question asked in his thread post?

It didn't.

So I just now went back and deleted your post in that thread as being "off topic" to the thread.

Are you cool with that now?

Also I apologize because I just re-read our forum rules.

Forum Rule #6
    6. We do not discriminate in regards to religion, race, creed, gender, sexual preference, or national origin, nor will we tolerate, on this forum, those that do. Racial, ethnic, or religious slurs appearing in posts will be removed unless the ethnic slur that was posted was transcribed from an Al Pachino movie.

I must have missed that last part.
    Thanks OKshooter. I really appreciate it being changed to "Off Topic".

Sorry for the drama guys and gals but I'm pretty passionate when it comes to the whole "Racist thing" as I personally can't stand someone who is a racist and by the way I too am a Redneck (but with thick skin).

Administrator

Thumbs up

Next time shoot me a Private Message if you ever have any problem with any moderator action that I have taken.
    I will bend over backward for you to resolve the issue in some mutually satisfactory fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Next time shoot me a Private Message if you ever have any problem with any moderator action that I have taken.
    I will bend over backward for you to resolve the issue in some mutually satisfactory fashion.
    Sure thing,

AL

DC Founder
    Since this "issue" has now been resolved as far as it's going to be, this thread is now closed, pending complete removal in a couple of days....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links