DC Site More Open Than Facebook

This is a discussion on DC Site More Open Than Facebook within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; As was mentioned in the thread about posting pictures on Facebook, the DC forum is open to anyone on the internet to browse and read. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Site More Open Than Facebook

DC Site More Open Than Facebook

As was mentioned in the thread about posting pictures on Facebook, the DC forum is open to anyone on the internet to browse and read. Although I enjoyed reading the forums prior to joining DC, I was wondering if it would be wise to lock out more of this forum unless you joined. 117 voted no to Facebook while 65 voted yes. Of course, most of us use aliases or screen names but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a person's identity. What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    My thoughts are "why do you want to hide your support for the 2a??"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

JD
    Administrator
    My thoughts are that if you want to live a life "off the grid" where "they" can't find out about you...The internet is not the right place to do it.

Since joining DC, I have noticed the big black vans and helicopters around the house, but I just ignore them...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    My thoughts are that if you want to live a life "off the grid" where "they" can't find out about you...The internet is not the right place to do it.
    Even better put than I could! That's why JD makes the BIG DC bucks!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Besides the two unknow black cars now sitting outside my house all the time.... ??

I agree with the OP.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Lets just say this, I am not a hacker of any kind. A guy threatened my life online awhile ago, and not the usual crazy stupid stuff. I emailed him pictures of his house from google maps, I did not know his name, email address, or anything about him till he shot me a threatening message on another social media site. I did it in a day.
    Google, and a few hours seaching and one can find out a lot.

So locking things out kinda is pointless.

The good new is he closed his account and I havent heard from him since.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Since joining DC, I have noticed the big black vans and helicopters around the house, but I just ignore them...
    You see them too?

DC Founder
    We have some of the forum locked out to encourage people to join rather than lurk, but for the most part we are open. The Internet is a rather open place and we should all be mindful of how much information we give out in a public forum. Closing down the forum would restrict search engines from finding us and indexing us, which is not a good thing for a forum. In fact, the software we use to make it easier for them to find and index us is not cheap.

I would suggest being careful what you tell people and if some idiot takes exception with you and comes after you, keep your gun handy and always in condition one.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    We have some of the forum locked out to encourage people to join rather than lurk, but for the most part we are open. The Internet is a rather open place and we should all be mindful of how much information we give out in a public forum. Closing down the forum would restrict search engines from finding us and indexing us, which is not a good thing for a forum. In fact, the software we use to make it easier for them to find and index us is not cheap.

I would suggest being careful what you tell people and if some idiot takes exception with you and comes after you, keep your gun handy and always in condition one.....
    Sage advice. This applies to all areas of our lives.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you are trying to stay private, posting to an internet forum would be out of the question. Since everyone on here posts, that means strict privacy is not our goal.

Me? I am not overly concerned with someone knowing who I am and what I like. I am a gregarious guy who doesn't mind people knowing what makes me tick. So I post without any concerns that the BG is going to trace me home.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Even better put than I could! That's why JD makes the BIG DC bucks!
    Word yo! I should be able to retire in about thee centuries.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Its not a matter of being out in the open on the internet its more about theme... DC is all about 2A rights, open and conceal carry topics, 2A marketplace, sharing experiences, and stories.

Facebook is about social networking and keeping people connected. Its where people go to post comments, status and upcoming events. Its a powerful FREE advertising tool for businesses also.

Since there will be both pro and anti 2A people lurking on Facebook there are people that would advise to be careful what you post on there. If you post pictures of you pointing a gun at the camera in a Matrix movie outfit and talking about grouping 100 rounds of .40 at 25 yards, that could rub someone the wrong way. Great thing about living in America is you don't HAVE to care...Its a free country. You have the ability to post it and not be arrested for posting it.

If you like posting gun related content on Facebook then do it; Keep in mind depending on what and how much you post it may bite you in the butt later in some way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You too huh, I've been seeing them every where I go...

This is a very open forum and that is one of the things I like about it. Each and every one of us is repsonsible for what we post about ourselves. Some of us are a little more concerned with opsec than others. That is why some of us choose not to post in certain threads, or show serial numbers, or other traceable personally identifying information. Each of us gets to decide what they want to reveal.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links