Upgraded Site Banner

This is a discussion on Upgraded Site Banner within the Old Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I've been doing some searches and see that the backround colors have been tweaked and I agree that it is very pleasing to the eyes. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded Site Banner

Upgraded Site Banner

I've been doing some searches and see that the backround colors have been tweaked and I agree that it is very pleasing to the eyes. I however think the site banner at the top is a bit dated looking (no disrespect for anyone who designed it here), and should be updated with something that pops a little more with sharper colors and edges. I understand that many will say "if it aint broken dont fix it", and i agree to some extent, but frankly its a bit boring to look at.

Im just kind of throwing it out there so dont flame me please !!
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

I like it just the way it is, but then, I don't like it when my wife moves the living room furniture around either.

I say let it be...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Maybe have a DC Logo design contest

Who looks at the banner? I just go and read the posts.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

There's a banner? where?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Probably should be left to the site's OWNER --> Bumper

This is his house. Would you go to someone's house (who you don't know that well), that they need a new carpet and a new coat of paint?

We're guests. Recommend PM to Bumper or Admins.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    +1 Retsupt, let it be.
    Looks good.

DC Founder
    I am somewhat ambivalent to the banner at this point but we do try to change it from time to time. The current banner was an update of an older banner that I made a year or so ago. In the 5+ years we have been around, we have changed the banner about 7 or 8 times. If anyone has any recommendations I am open to them BUT it would really have to "grab" me to change it. And, while not opposed to submissions for a "contest", it would have to be something that would really motivate me to change it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Probably should be left to the site's OWNER --> Bumper

This is his house. Would you go to someone's house (who you don't know that well), that they need a new carpet and a new coat of paint?

We're guests. Recommend PM to Bumper or Admins.
    I agree somewhat, but the whole idea of having a public site is to invite others to join and trade ideas. If it weren't for all of us this would be a site with no traffic. This isnt his house, its ALL of our house and those of us who donate to help keep the site going should have a say so as to how things look and work too. Same argument goes for citizens who pay taxes and voice opinions.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    ...This isnt his house, its ALL of our house and those of us who donate to help keep the site going should have a say so as to how things look and work too. Same argument goes for citizens who pay taxes and voice opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Dont act like you dont know what im saying.

1*

NRA Member

JD
    Administrator
    Dont act like you dont know what im saying.
    Perhaps you should elaborate. Stating that "This isn't the owner's house, it's ours because we donated $X" isn't usually a good idea.

And for those wondering, a donation to the forum doesn't entitle you to jack squat. We value the opinions of ALL members regardless of time on forum, post count, or donation status which is why we have this feedback section. To imply otherwise is simply ludicrous.

Lightbulb Leave it Alone

I'd suggest leaving it alone. The maintenance, upgrade, update and mod duties require time anyway.

It's fast to load compared to many, doesn't eat a lot of electrons, and is calm. Anyway, it's already burnt into my screen, so please please don't change it........(not really)

And I agree with JD. Even if I didn't it wouldn't matter......... Just pulling your chain, JD.........

DC Founder
    I agree somewhat, but the whole idea of having a public site is to invite others to join and trade ideas. If it weren't for all of us this would be a site with no traffic. This isnt his house, its ALL of our house and those of us who donate to help keep the site going should have a say so as to how things look and work too. Same argument goes for citizens who pay taxes and voice opinions.
    I would think of it more as an apartment complex. The landlord provides the house but has the overall say on how it looks. The managers and tenants have some say, but the landlord makes the decision because ultimately he is the one that has to pay for it even if the money does come from rents. If a change brings in loads of new tenants the idea gains traction. If the landlord is sick of looking at the old apartments, it gains traction. If the economy is bad, tenants are paying a lot less in rents even though maintenance is going up, the landlord throws all of that on the back burner until happier economic times return. The tenant rarely gets the final say in the color scheme....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

... the whole idea of having a public site is to invite others to join and trade ideas. If it weren't for all of us this would be a site with no traffic.
    The trading of ideas occurs on the discussion boards. A good argument can be made that if any "rights" exist at all (which is a stretch, IMO), they exist there alone. Any extension of such "rights" to input might be given elsewhere, but that's the decision of the "homeowner."

This isnt his house, its ALL of our house ...
    That I occupy a seat at someone else's home makes it my house, with rights of the sort suggested? Not even the option of voluntarily offering a contribution at the door gives me anything of the sort.

... and those of us who donate to help keep the site going should have a say so as to how things look and work too. Same argument goes for citizens who pay taxes and voice opinions.
    Ah. But as OWNER, you do get a say in things. Taxpaying citizens are owners. Big difference, as opposed to claiming you're an owner of the operation or the establishment simply because you have the option of chipping in a voluntary donation to help cover the Friday and Saturday parties. Big difference.

In short, the mere fact you have a burger at Denny's doesn't make their choice of carpeting or stoves your choice, anymore than it makes it mine.

It is, indeed, someone's house we've come to, in order to have our little discussions. Metaphorically speaking, of course, the couches, chairs, rooms and hors d'oeuvre are provided for our use, with no commitment for anyone to pay anything.

While the need to provide chairs and sofas at all is driven by having customers, the customers still get to decide whether they'll even come by, without need to RSVP, without need to contribute a negligible fee to assist in the event, without even the requirement to bring a brain in order to have intelligent discourse. There is no obligation placed on the visitors to do so, in spite of an obligation existing to respect that fact. We are all, quite literally, temporary visitors without obligation, visiting the house of another who is offering such events for our entertainment and delight.

Consider your own home, and your own status as homeowner. Does the mere fact you offer up Friday "discussion" nights or Saturday picnics give anyone rights to suggest you change the wallpaper, acquire more sofas, or put in a new deck to accommodate a better view?

It's very much like coming to someone's house for such things. In fact, quite simply, the house ain't ours. If I want to change the draperies or the brand of stove, then I can get my own house.

Good form, at least, usually precludes taking such a position.

Whatever else we might believe would be more Utopian, the owner has chipped in his $0.05 (which exceeds our $0.02, on every day of the week and twice on Sundays).

'Nuff said, on that, really.

Now, where's my cold beer, damn it! I asked that someone bring me that half an hour ago. On a Baccarat crystal serving tray, no less.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links