A lesson learned

This is a discussion on A lesson learned within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I was on officer.com and found a link to this thread. I thought some of you might find it interesting to read. Just ...

Thread: A lesson learned

A lesson learned

Hey guys I was on officer.com and found a link to this thread. I thought some of you might find it interesting to read.

Just thought I'd share

negative experience for a cop
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like the guy got what he deserved,when the Officer wanted to ask him a question,he automatically assumed the worst,Sometimes it pays to listen before reacting.JMHO
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sometimes it's better to shut up and listen before sticking your foot in your mouth.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I completely agree with ya'll. It doesn't even seem from his side that he was even concerned that the guy was OCing. I'd let the guy have a piece of my mind if I had been that cop!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

If things went down just like that, then the OCer has lots more learning to do.

Geez. I know my rights and I know when not to talk to a cop, but if one is just buying a cup of coffee and says "Can I ask you a question?" I'm going to say "Sure officer, what can I do for you?"

Knowing your rights is one thing. If it went down as described by the officer that's crossing the line.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I don't even think I would have responded like that initially. A simple "Can I help you?" would have established the nature of the contact.

OTOH I can see the OC'r being a little jumpy if he's in an area where the police mess W/ OC'rs

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    A hilarious example of the dubious reward of making any assumption. The OCer got exactly what he deserved!

The ending of that story was very funny. There is still some justice in the world...

Sounds like a bad deal all the way around. However, the OC guy really set himself up for failure.

Mr. Open Carry has a very, very large chip on his shoulder and felt the LEO just knocked it off by wanting to ask him a "question". Assuming even before the "question" that he was being harassed for having a firearm openly displayed.

Mr. LEO could have written the ticket and then told the jerk why and made him feel even worse, but declined. I would have told him why if I was a LEO, but, that's just me.

The LEO's demeanor could have been a bit better and educated the OC guy by letting him know he was all for open carry and wanted to have some nice chat about type of pistols etc.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Wow... I'm all for protecting and using your constitutional rights... but you shouldn't jump to such bold conclusions and show a total lack of respect.

Well I know I have been stopped with a fixed blade (once over the limit and you could tell) from my experience with cops most are very nice people, Would rather help you then hastle you. Now some will just hastle you but it also depends on how you are with them. will be saving this thread because I am ready the other thread to see how it went. (over 50 pages. skimmed to the last one and someone seemed annoyed about something will be reading all 50 now)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

The OC guy was definitely being an a-hole. That being said, it seems that cops who are disrespected somehow do always seem to find a way to pull over folks.

There was a thread someplace I was reading where cops were all bragging about how they "got back" at someone who gave them the finger.

Lets face it, we've all seen plenty of stories of folks (especially OC and CCers) getting harassed by the police. So really it isn't surprising that some people are afraid of them. Perhaps the cop could have started with "Hey Man, cool pistol... its nice to see people open carrying." Then continued with "How do you like that model". Instead by his own words he started the conversation in the typical "we will use anything you say against you" manner.

I think in this case a little consideration from both parties would have done both people good.

Wow...had the guy been cordial the officer would have just let him know his inspection was expired (no ticket) and probably asked him if his M&P had the Sigma type trigger. Could have been a very positive experience for both. Instead, it left everyone with a bad flavor to savor.

I personally subscribe to the be cool rule...it's always worked out very well for me. I've also gotten to a point in life where I just don't get excited over stuff...if I do, it's something worth it. Mellowing with age has it's benefits.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

This seems to be an example of 'burning your bridges'...uneccessarily, of course!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links