OC in NC

This is a discussion on OC in NC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been open-carrying most of the time since first attending the Triangle Open Carry dinner at Panera's two months ago. I've carried in stores ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC in NC

OC in NC

I have been open-carrying most of the time since first attending the Triangle Open Carry dinner at Panera's two months ago. I've carried in stores and restaurants in Apex and Cary, NC, including the Apex Walmart. I haven't had any problems until today. I was in Shallotte, NC today (Saturday, March 13, 2010), while open-carrying a .45 ACP 1911 style gun. After I had been in a Belk's store for about 15 minutes (and with a shirt that I was going to buy over my arm), two police officers approached me. One came close and asked for my identification, while the other stayed back a few feet. (My wife, for some reason, backed off about 20 feet.) I informed him that I had a concealed carry permit and said that I was informing him of that because it is required, but I only had the open-carry gun. He asked to also see my concealed carry permit, which I handed over. They radioed to check my ID. One had checked the door, and said since there was no sign on the door, that my carrying was OK. He said that someone had called, so they had to come and check me out. He then asked if I could please put the gun in my car, so that they could save face. (I guess that he meant: someone called about a gun, the police came to check, and then the gun left the store = saving face.) I said OK, and I would always respect their request if someone asked me to take the gun outside because they were uneasy, but no one had asked. The police seemed OK, and didn't really see a problem, but had to check anyway. The police left, I told my wife that I was going outside, and then I left. I went to several other stores, without any problem. Then we went back to Southport. One of the stores that we visited in Southport was Lowe's home supply. No problem in the store, until I was checking out. The cashier lady said "I hope you have a badge for that." I didn't think fast-enough of anything useful to say, so I just smiled. Then she said "that gun just makes me so nervous." But we finished checking out with no further problem. I should've had one of Matt's cards with me to give her.

Dave
    Apex, NC

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncarolinaguy View Post
    I should've had one of Matt's cards with me to give her.
    ?????????????????????

Something I'm not familiar with.

BTW Dave, welcome to the forum from Victoria, B.C. We'll be in your neck of the woods this May for the NRA convention.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Most people are so wrapped up in their own little world, they don't notice someone carrying a gun. Glad things worked out for you, sounds like the LEO's did their job as they should have and didn't hassle you over it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Virginia. I'm from NC and visit family there often. Glad the encounter went pretty smooth. People in NC are not used to OC. Folks in VA don't seem to get excited about it as it's a little more common. I CC most of the time, but I do OC on occasion...like today.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wouldn't it have been "Saving Face" for a legally carried firearm to continue shopping instead of giving the caller the false belief that they were correct about a man with a gun having to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Wouldn't it have been "Saving Face" for a legally carried firearm to continue shopping instead of giving the caller the false belief that they were correct about a man with a gun having to leave?
    This.

Everything else seemed to go well.

A polite no would have been the best answer. Unless the someone asking is a manager or property owner, then your rights are as important as anyone else's. Basically, you got the LEO equivalent of the message board argument, "yeah, it's legal and all but there is a time and place blah, blah." It's legal, they knew it, you knew it, that should have been the end of it.

Just watch yourself in Cary. I'm sure you know that already from the dinner.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have to agree with this. I'm not going to disarm when I'm not doing anything wrong. That's a load of Bovine Feces.

The cashier lady said "I hope you have a badge for that." I didn't think fast-enough of anything useful to say, so I just smiled. Then she said "that gun just makes me so nervous."
    What a joke. The answer to this is - "No, I don't have a badge for this. If you are so nervous maybe you need to see about getting some mental counseling. "

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Thank you Officer for the opportunity, but no, you can save face by informing the caller that this is legal. Now unless I am being detained, have a good day."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I have to agree with this. I'm not going to disarm when I'm not doing anything wrong. That's a load of Bovine Feces.

What a joke. The answer to this is - "No, I don't have a badge for this. If you are so nervous maybe you need to see about getting some mental counseling. "
    If someone said "oh, that gun makes me so nervous" I would be tempted to say, "Why? It's not going to magically jump out of the holster and start puking up lead everywhere? I am trained in legal and proper use and safety and it is completely under my control. Nothing to be nervous about."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yeah, I guess it makes people nervous when an armed citizen is at a cash register PAYING for his purchase...
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

NC has a law police officers can use to enforce open carry laws when there is a complaint about a specific person open carrying. "Armed the the terror of the public".

It would probably never go anywhere in court but you can certainly be arrested for it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    NC has a law police officers can use to enforce open carry laws when there is a complaint about a specific person open carrying. "Armed the the terror of the public".

It would probably never go anywhere in court but you can certainly be arrested for it.
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! Just to emphasize my point. Can they try, yes. Maybe they go so far as an arrest, usually a supervisor shoots that idea down. Will it stick just for OC, no and it's a violation of your rights if they try. Plus, how can a law be used to enforce something that is not illegal just because someone does not like it. We have 3 separate Supreme court rulings that say "the right to keep and bear arms" applies directly to OC. State v Kerner, State v Speller, and State v Huntley.

State v Huntley, specifically took on GATTTOTP.

"But although a gun is an "unusual weapon," it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no (p.423)offence. For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people."

STATE v. ROBERT S. HUNTLEY.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post

Open carry in a holster does not meet the criteria for a going armed to the terror of the public charge.

^^^ Exactly!!

Open carry in a holster does not meet the criteria for a going armed to the terror of the public charge.
    That is why I said it probably wouldn't go anywhere but a police officer wanting to give you a hard time because you pissed in his Cornflakes (like some of the comments some have suggested saying) COULD arrest for it.

And by the way, it will take you three weeks or so to get your gun back because most departments will send it off to ATF to get fired, cataloged and balistically recorded in the national firearms database.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links