Not a big fan of open carry

This is a discussion on Not a big fan of open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of heat for posting this (especially as a newbie), but I'm not much of a fan of ...

View Poll Results: For open carry or not?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am pro OC for hunting, hiking and rural areas only

1 16.67%
  • I am pro OC for anywhere

3 50.00%
  • I am against OC all together

2 33.33%

Thread: Not a big fan of open carry

Not a big fan of open carry

I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of heat for posting this (especially as a newbie), but I'm not much of a fan of open carry. I'm just looking to get some other opinions on it - whether it's for or against.

I don't have a problem with it for hunting, hiking or the likes, but I don't understand it for being out in public or any place that's not rural. My reasoning for this is that someone that OC may become more of a target by some scumbag. To further prove my point let's say that a criminal is scoping out victims to rob, kill, whatever. He chooses someone that is concealing his or her firearm. The perp may choose to taunt the person before physically attacking or if he does attack he's not expecting the victim to have a gun until he's already full of lead. On the other hand if he chooses to attack someone that is open carrying, he may be more stealthy or at the very least be aware that that person has a firearm therefore looking to either be lethal right off the bat or disarm the person. I'm sure the argument to this will be that people will see the gun and won't want to cause any trouble with that person, but there's a lot of stupid people out there. Another scenario might be some unintelligent fella finding the need to "test" you.

Anyway, these are just a couple of my thoughts and was wondering if there was anybody else out there that may think along these same lines. Feel free to play devil's advocate on this, I'm always up for new opinions as long as there's reasoning behind it.

2. Remove Ads

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    Nuff said?

I see OC as a deterrent. Scumbags can be compared to of water or electricity. they will choose the path of least resistant. They would rather mug some defenseless old lady in a wal-marx parking lot over some able body male that is open carrying.

One example:Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw
    XDm 40 16+1+16+16
    or
    PT 140 pro 10+1+10+10
    and sometimes
    S&W J frame 5+5

Treo, did you hit the start button on the lock timer or should I? Check around the site. There are some discussions. This one will likely get locked so no use getting into it much.

Do us a favor and do some research on your thought. If you find anything substantiating it let us know.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

DC Founder
    Unfortunately, those that primarily open carry are sensitive about people discussing the negative side of open carry in this particular forum. My advice would be to restart the discussion in the concealed carry forum.

This thread is now closed.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links