Police ticket man who wore gun in store (WA)

This is a discussion on Police ticket man who wore gun in store (WA) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mrjam2jab Nice....let's see how many people we can offend with the fewest words possible. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^UP THEIRS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Police ticket man who wore gun in store (WA)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Nice....let's see how many people we can offend with the fewest words possible.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^UP THEIRS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

2. Remove Ads

Sgt. Greg Raquer with the Vancouver Police Department [said] ...

“I guess you could liken it to people yelling ‘Fire!’ in a movie theater,” Raquer said. “People get alarmed.”

He added, “Most responsible people don’t display their firearm in public.”
    And PLENTY of responsible people do.

I suppose that if I, with my recognized Utah out-of-state CHL, were to cross the bridge to OC in Vancouver, I could probably be arrested for importation of terrorism and inciting fearful, nervous nellies to spontaneous combustion by merely being near them. Geez.

The lunatic logic that some folks have in lieu of rational thought boggles the mind.

What a schmuck. The mere fact a nervous nellie was let out to whine about what other, upstanding people did is bad enough to get a person arrested, ticketed or otherwise slapped with the brand of "criminal," eh?

The Vancouver police equate the legal carry of firearms the legal equivalent of screaming "Fire!" in a crowded movie house. Hm. Someone should read him the law, as he obviously doesn't know its application here.

I think it's time to speak with a Washington sheriff or two, to better understand what's failing to go through this guy's head. It might make the difference between spending a few nights in jail versus being reasonably handled ... in spite of acting legally at all times.

That law says: “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.”
    Hm. The law specifies that either INTENT or WARRANTING alarm is required. That a nervous nellie is unjustifiably and irrationally fearful doesn't apply, as that's hardly warranted.

Lesson of the day: Perhaps our legislatures actually require a statute dictating that police/sheriff agencies may NOT arrest people for mere carrying of defensive weapons, concealed, openly or otherwise, since mere display, irrespective of whether others may be bummed or upset by such a thing, is not sufficient for such a person to be stopped, ticketed, arrested or in any way claimed to be doing anything other than upstanding, legal action. Perhaps law enforcement needs yet another little reminder of the limitations of the authority to claim as criminals those citizens who are doing NOTHING other than upholding peaceful and orderly life in our communities.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Seems to me like the 911 operator could have been a little more helpful in this situation.

Caller- "there is a man with a gun at Albertson's".

Operator-"is he displaying it, or threating someone"?

Caller-"no".

Operator-"is it holstered"?

Caller-"yes"

Operator-"then be is within his legal rights, have a nice day".

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Seems to me like the 911 operator could have been a little more helpful in this situation.

Caller- "there is a man with a gun at Albertson's".

Operator-"is he displaying it, or threating someone"?

Caller-"no".

Operator-"is it holstered"?

Caller-"yes"

Operator-"then be is within his legal rights, have a nice day".

I agree one one hundred percent. To help this problem I think everyone on this forum should email their local LEO office regarding how Their operators can make it raise on their LEOs and citizens I already have
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So did they issue the ticket and then allow him to continue his 'illegal' activity or did he have to cover or disarm?

Yeah really, and the point of all this is?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I think it's time to speak with a Washington sheriff or two, to better understand what's failing to go through this guy's head. It might make the difference between spending a few nights in jail versus being reasonably handled ... in spite of acting legally at all times.
    OpenCarry.org has some training bulletins issued by different Washington Police Departments at
    Training Bulletins
    Relevant court rulings at Court Rulings
    You can get a synopsis of training bulletins, laws and court rulings at Cheat Sheets
    A complete listing of their files is located at Downloads
    Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Lesson of the day: Perhaps our legislatures actually require a statute
    Currently the farther we can keep gun issues out of legislation the better. Washington's current legislative body is by far the vilest most corrupt governing body I have ever seen in the United States. If Washington's government does not like any legislation the people want vote for and pass they literally hold midnight weekend meetings to override the peoples vote. Two examples are. This year we voted to have a published public listing of how our representatives vote. We also passed legislation that required a super majority or the vote of the people for any more tax increases. On a Saturday at 1AM they had secret unannounced hearings and vetoed both bills. Those representatives that were opposed to vetoing the bills were not informed of the hearings until after they were over. I am terrified if these current set of creeps set their liberal anti sights on our gun laws. Which Washington state currently has some of the best pro gun laws in the nation.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Vancouver.........Canada???

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the northwest.

No Vancover, Washington. Just north of Portland, Oragon
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

The article linked the "relevant" law:
    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
    I don't find it relevant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Currently the farther we can keep gun issues out of legislation the better. Washington's current legislative body is by far the vilest most corrupt governing body I have ever seen in the United States. If Washington's government does not like any legislation the people want vote for and pass they literally hold midnight weekend meetings to override the peoples vote. Two examples are. This year we voted to have a published public listing of how our representatives vote. We also passed legislation that required a super majority or the vote of the people for any more tax increases. On a Saturday at 1AM they had secret unannounced hearings and vetoed both bills. Those representatives that were opposed to vetoing the bills were not informed of the hearings until after they were over. I am terrified if these current set of creeps set their liberal anti sights on our gun laws. Which Washington state currently has some of the best pro gun laws in the nation.
    Sadly to say, the majority of the voters must not be all that unhappy with their legislators or they wouldn't keep re-electing them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming09 View Post
    The article linked the "relevant" law:
    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
    I don't find it relevant at all.
    It's not and Washington courts have repeatedly ruled it is not relevant. That the unwarranted fears of a legally carried gun does not apply
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Sadly to say, the majority of the voters must not be all that unhappy with their legislators or they wouldn't keep re-electing them.
    You are right. This last move holding midnight weekend hearings to over ride two bills that the people passed by a over whelming majority has turned the tide. A great many people regardless of party are enraged at that blatant disregard for rule by the people
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Fear of dogs

I once new a lady that would freeze and practically hyperventilate at the presence of a dog. I always felt it was the lady's problem and not the dog's. Likewise w/ oc handguns. If people are alarmed by them, whose fault is it? Although, I personally don't open carry for this reason - I don't have the guts. It shouldn't be this way. These laws need to be challenged.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links