under 21

This is a discussion on under 21 within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my son is 20 yrs. old, can he open carry here in Ohio? he would also like to know,if can carry his large lockblade knife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: under 21

  1. #1
    New Member Array zackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lorain,Ohio
    Posts
    2

    under 21

    my son is 20 yrs. old, can he open carry here in Ohio? he would also like to know,if can carry his large lockblade knife clipped on his belt or clipped to his pants pocket. ths is my first post, please be kind. this is a great site. I have my chl and carry whenever I can. thanks
    Last edited by zackman; March 21st, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: puct.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,085
    Welcome to the forum.

    It appears legal age in Ohio to OC is 18. Not sure about knife laws most places have a 3 to 3.5" max length on knives.

    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Ohio

    Another good reference for various state gun laws is:

    Handgunlaw.us
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  4. #3
    Member Array Bkrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GTA Germany
    Posts
    322
    Welcome to the forum!

  5. #4
    New Member Array zackman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lorain,Ohio
    Posts
    2
    thank you for the fast reply.

  6. #5
    Ex Member Array NavyLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    471
    The problem is where is he going to obtain the gun to open carry in Ohio?

    Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY

    Look specifically at Ohio Revised Code 2923.21

    Notice there is NO exception for a gift, sale, or other transfer of a handgun from father to son. You might be on your way to a felony and not know it.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    http://www.opencarry.org/oh.html

    http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html
    great link^^^ we had a Open Carry demo at Gander Mountain this pasted Saturday.... You have to be a resident of the state you live in to OC (<---Open Carry) Ohio is 18 years or older, and the Handgun must be owned by the person OC it.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  8. #7
    Ex Member Array NavyLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    You have to be a resident of the state you live in to OC (<---Open Carry) , and the Handgun must be owned by the person OC it.
    Both statements above are absolutely false.

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The problem is where is he going to obtain the gun to open carry in Ohio?

    Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY

    Look specifically at Ohio Revised Code 2923.21

    Notice there is NO exception for a gift, sale, or other transfer of a handgun from father to son. You might be on your way to a felony and not know it.
    Thats a shame, even in Michigan, you can "buy" a handgun from a private owner.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Both statements above are absolutely false.
    Not in Michigan. Only people with CPLs can carry handguns that isn't in their name.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

  11. #10
    Member Array enk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    200
    You have to be 18 to OC in Ohio but there is a catch... you have to be 21 to be in possession of a handgun. I believe there is a loophole, something about a certification.

    I got a handgun for christmas and I turned 21 in January, I couldn't have it in my possession for a month. It lived at my parent's house :-(
    Last edited by enk5; March 23rd, 2010 at 03:18 PM.

  12. #11
    Ex Member Array NavyLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    You have to be 18 to OC in Ohio but there is a catch... you have to be 21 to be in possession of a handgun. I believe there is a loophole, something about a certification. The member Dsee11789 might know something about this if you want to message him.

    I got a handgun for christmas and I turned 21 in January, I couldn't have it in my possession for a month. It lived at my parent's house :-(
    There is NO statute in Ohio (the link to which is posted above) which prohibits the POSSESSION of a handgun by a person 18 to 20 years old. There are statutes which make it illegal for anyone to furnish a handgun to a person <21 years old in Ohio - ORC 2923.21, and there are statutes which make it illegal for anyone <21 to attempt to PURCHASE a handgun in Ohio - ORC 2923.211.

    There are at least three cases where it would be legal for an 18 to 20 year old person to possess and open carry a handgun in Ohio:

    1. A civilian person 18 to 20 years old moves into the state of Ohio and brings a handgun with them from their old state of residence.

    2. An 18 to 20 year old person gets stationed in Ohio due to military orders and brings a handgun with them.

    3. An 18 to 20 year old person maintains residences in two different states. During the time they reside in a different state, they may legally be able to purchase handguns in that state; and, during the time they reside in Ohio, they would be legal to possess that handgun in Ohio.

    There is no loophole or certification required for the possession. There simply is no statute prohibiting it.

  13. #12
    Member Array enk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    There is NO statute in Ohio (the link to which is posted above) which prohibits the POSSESSION of a handgun by a person 18 to 20 years old. There are statutes which make it illegal for anyone to furnish a handgun to a person <21 years old in Ohio - ORC 2923.21, and there are statutes which make it illegal for anyone <21 to attempt to PURCHASE a handgun in Ohio - ORC 2923.211.

    There are at least three cases where it would be legal for an 18 to 20 year old person to possess and open carry a handgun in Ohio:

    1. A civilian person 18 to 20 years old moves into the state of Ohio and brings a handgun with them from their old state of residence.

    2. An 18 to 20 year old person gets stationed in Ohio due to military orders and brings a handgun with them.

    3. An 18 to 20 year old person maintains residences in two different states. During the time they reside in a different state, they may legally be able to purchase handguns in that state; and, during the time they reside in Ohio, they would be legal to possess that handgun in Ohio.

    There is no loophole or certification required for the possession. There simply is no statute prohibiting it.


    Thank you for the clarification. I was told differently by a LEO. As far as the certification I was talking about was for some sort of a security position. I knew someone who was looking for a job and was told by a potential employer that if he was hired and went through a class, he could carry under the age of 21 for his job. I believe it was a security type of job. You seem to be well versed though so do you know if this employer was feeding him a line?

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array NavyLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. I was told differently by a LEO. As far as the certification I was talking about was for some sort of a security position. I knew someone who was looking for a job and was told by a potential employer that if he was hired and went through a class, he could carry under the age of 21 for his job. I believe it was a security type of job. You seem to be well versed though so do you know if this employer was feeding him a line?
    Found it. The certification the employer was talking about allows an exception to 2923.21 and 2923.211 regarding the FURNISHING of a handgun to an 18 to 20 year old and the ACQUISITION of the handgun by the 18 to 20 year old. It might also exempt the person from the requirements for a concealed carry license and from school zone restrictions, but I don't know that without looking it up. The certification requirements are in ORC 109.78:

    Lawriter - ORC - 109.78 Certification of special police, security guards, or persons otherwise privately employed in a police capacity.

    109.78 Certification of special police, security guards, or persons otherwise privately employed in a police capacity.

    (A) The executive director of the Ohio peace officer training commission, on behalf of the commission and in accordance with rules promulgated by the attorney general, shall certify persons who have satisfactorily completed approved training programs designed to qualify persons for positions as special police, security guards, or persons otherwise privately employed in a police capacity and issue appropriate certificates to such persons....

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Not in Michigan. Only people with CPLs can carry handguns that isn't in their name.
    thank you^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  16. #15
    Ex Member Array NavyLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    thank you^^^
    Oh, I am sorry, I missed the part where the OP asked about Michigan.

    And exactly where is the statutory requirement for this statement?:
    You have to be a resident of the state you live in to OC (<---Open Carry)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

aquiring a handgun under 21 in ohio
,
can an 18 year old open carry in ohio
,
carrying handgun under 21 ohio
,
concealed carry ohio under 21
,
father gifting handgun to son under 21 ohio
,
handgun transfer to son under 21?
,
in ohio can i open carry a handgun under 21
,
ohio open carry demo
,

ohio revised code 2923.21

,
open carry washington under 21
,
orc 109.78
,

orc 2923.21

Click on a term to search for related topics.