First open carry in Flint MI

This is a discussion on First open carry in Flint MI within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Kimber ultra cdpII and had yet to find a holster. Anyhow after hitting the local indoor range ("Advanced Ranges") I decided ...

Thread: First open carry in Flint MI

I recently bought a Kimber ultra cdpII and had yet to find a holster.
    Anyhow after hitting the local indoor range ("Advanced Ranges")
    I decided to hit up a military surplus/law enforcement supply store. Where there was a box full of used holsters and other duty belt gear.
    I found a nice owb holster for a colt commander for $9. the kimber fits perfect and looks nice as all hell in it for the price. So later on a strapped her on and decided to go up to big johns with my buddy. We both decided to OC up there and when we walked in, the lady at the counter looked hesitant until we came up to order. I guess no more so concerned than I might have been at first. There were a couple mail carriers eating lunch who paid no attention other than a glance. All went well, I followed it up the next day with a walk around the neighborhood with my dog and kimberly on my side finishing up with a trip to yayas. Still all was good.
    I feel that OC and CC have their own place and time and for me in this area I feel that OC has an advantage over CC in alot of circumstances, perhaps acting as a deterent more so than just a defensive tool after a situation arises.
    Now say dinner at a nice place with the family, CC would be the way to go for me.
    Im all for OC, not because its cool or even because I want it, but its my right to. And Im going to use it.
    thanks for reading and if anyone has any michigan or even genesee county OC experience, I'd like to hear!
    Also looking to get an OC group togather sometime as the weather gets nicer.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Good for you. From what I heard of Flint, you might want a lot more than just a pistol. At one time if I remember correctly it was high the violent crime scale. You might wanna try carrying something like an M-4 with 300 rounds of 5.56 and a M-203 grenade launcher.

ya, and we laid off 48 cops and a bunch of firefighters yesterday. 11 fires yesterday. More than a months usuall. Think it had anything in common? ..naw...
    Not all of Flint is bad, there are places that you just dont go into though. I think its funny that alot of locals talk about their ".25" and how great it is. I work in Saginaw and its the same there...
    Something with the lower status or something?

Unbelievable that they lay off 25% of the PD and FD. Lets see how that works out for the BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Unbelievable that they lay off 25% of the PD and FD. Lets see how that works out for the BGs.
    Not too unbelievable. It's a matter of liberal priorities ..... can't have the money flow interrupted into welfare and entitlements, after all. /sarc, of course/

I was born and raised in Flint before moving to Nevada. Best move I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Rick View Post
    Not too unbelievable. It's a matter of liberal priorities ..... can't have the money flow interrupted into welfare and entitlements, after all. /sarc, of course/

I was born and raised in Flint before moving to Nevada. Best move I ever made.
    I had been contemplating moving out there. Coming from Flint, how are jobs?
    I was out there two years ago testing for LVMPD. Unfortunately I didnt make it. It was the first department I ever applied for and I did poorly on the oral board exams. Anyhow if I could find something that paid me as well as GM does I'd move out in a heartbeat. My girl and daughter are more than willing to go. I just dont know how I'd go about getting a job lined up and all. Maybe its time I start looking again...

Quote Originally Posted by nbock951 View Post
    I had been contemplating moving out there. Coming from Flint, how are jobs?
    I was out there two years ago testing for LVMPD. Unfortunately I didnt make it. It was the first department I ever applied for and I did poorly on the oral board exams. Anyhow if I could find something that paid me as well as GM does I'd move out in a heartbeat. My girl and daughter are more than willing to go. I just dont know how I'd go about getting a job lined up and all. Maybe its time I start looking again...
    Job market sucks; we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, although not as bad as Flint, of course. Try on-line job searching? For sure don't come here without something lined up in advance.

LVMetro isn't hiring that I've heard of, but you might try checking with the other incorporated cities of North Las Vegas and Henderson. I wouldn't be surprised to see some LEO hiring the way crime seems to be on the rise. We have a serious problem with gangs being pushed into more than just drugs now that the Mexican mafia seems to be moving in. Just IMHO.

On the plus side, the cost of living is pretty good. Way less than Kalifornia, probably not as low as Flint (or Mt Morris where I last lived there). For sure you'd like it here in NV a LOT better than MI; there's a huge difference between climate and weather.

Good luck.

Links