Do I need an FOID when taveling through IL?

This is a discussion on Do I need an FOID when taveling through IL? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All right guys, I need some clarification... I often travel through Illinois on my 1200 mile trip to my home town in Ohio. I now ...

Thread: Do I need an FOID when taveling through IL?

Question Do I need an FOID when taveling through IL?

All right guys, I need some clarification... I often travel through Illinois on my 1200 mile trip to my home town in Ohio. I now have a CCP and Obomaland is the only state that doesnít honor my permit.

Now I plan ahead and fill up the gas tank before I go into IL and I don't stop the whole way through but if I get pulled over am I safe with my weapon unloaded, locked in a box, in the trunk, and with the ammo in the glove box?

Do I need an FOID?

handgunlaw.us
    Q. How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle? There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:

A.
    Unloaded
    Enclosed in a case and,
    By persons who have a valid FOID card.

2. Remove Ads

No FOID required, the below is from the IL state police website.
    I lived in Illinois for over 30 years, now in the freestate
    of Tennessee.

"Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    Unloaded, and
    Enclosed in a case, and
    Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
    Last edited by dbsmith54; March 26th, 2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by dbsmith54 View Post
    No FOID required, the below is from the IL state police website.
    I lived in Illinois for over 30 years, now in the freestate
    of Tennessee.

"Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    Unloaded, and
    Enclosed in a case, and
    Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."
    Correct only current IL residents are subject to the full lunacy of the state, the visitors only get partial tyranny.

NO!
    You only need to make sure you lock up your firearms correctly, drive the speed limit, and get to the state line to 'exit' as quickly as legally possible. Can you say goodbye IL?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by hothoog View Post
    All right guys, I need some clarification... I often travel through Illinois on my 1200 mile trip to my home town in Ohio. I now have a CCP and Obomaland is the only state that doesn’t honor my permit.

Now I plan ahead and fill up the gas tank before I go into IL and I don't stop the whole way through but if I get pulled over am I safe with my weapon unloaded, locked in a box, in the trunk, and with the ammo in the glove box?

Do I need an FOID?

handgunlaw.us
    Q. How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle? There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:

A.
    Unloaded
    Enclosed in a case and,
    By persons who have a valid FOID card.
    If you want an extra measure of protection, then you might want to consider transporting the firearm and ammunition meeting the requirements of Federal law as well, 18 USC 926a, Firearms Owners Protection Act:
    US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

If you desire to be protected by FOPA as well, you would have to lock the ammo in the trunk also. With the ammo in the glovebox, you are not meeting the requirements of FOPA and would not be protected by it.

I understand that you pretty much have to travel through the People's Republik Of Illinois when you travel home to see relatives, and I think you are doing all that you can. Plan it out so you stop and fill up just before leaving the Free USA and entering the communist state of IL. Don't stop anywhere in IL. Stop and fill up again in Indiana and re-arm.

I am from Indiana and still have family there. When we drive up to see them from Shelby County Tennessee, the shortest and easiest route is through IL. We do not go that way. We add an hour to an hour and a half to the trip by going up I-40 to Nashville and then up I-65 to Indiana just to bypass all of IL.

I will not spend money at a business that doesn't allow me to carry for the protection of my family, so I surely will not use the roadways of a state that does the same thing.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Or you could avoid IL. altogether. OK to AR to TN, up to KY then into OH. Adds some miles to your trip, but you can carry the whole way.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I understand that you pretty much have to travel through the People's Republik Of Illinois when you travel home to see relatives, and I think you are doing all that you can. Plan it out so you stop and fill up just before leaving the Free USA and entering the communist state of IL. Don't stop anywhere in IL. Stop and fill up again in Indiana and re-arm.

I am from Indiana and still have family there. When we drive up to see them from Shelby County Tennessee, the shortest and easiest route is through IL. We do not go that way. We add an hour to an hour and a half to the trip by going up I-40 to Nashville and then up I-65 to Indiana just to bypass all of IL.

I will not spend money at a business that doesn't allow me to carry for the protection of my family, so I surely will not use the roadways of a state that does the same thing.
    Mike, what part of IN? I'm originally from South Bend, but have been gone from there since 1970. My dad and son's live in the South Bend/Elkhart area.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    NO!
    You only need to make sure you lock up your firearms correctly, drive the speed limit, and get to the state line to 'exit' as quickly as legally possible. Can you say goodbye IL?
    Wife and I successfully negotiated IL twice in the last month.

SUCCESSFUL= our feet did not touch IL soil. Route was I-70.

I need to notify the chamber of commerces along the way that we passed thru. I like to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Or you could avoid IL. altogether. OK to AR to TN, up to KY then into OH. Adds some miles to your trip, but you can carry the whole way.
    I'll be driving from OK to PA this summer and think I'll avoid the PRI (Peoples Republik of Illinois) by driving through TN and KY. It's nice country and has the added benefit of missing most of the big cities along the way.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

As a resident of the free state of Indiana, I do the same thing. I will bypass Illinois altogether if possible, or will traverse the state without spending a dime if I must.

I had to make several trips to Missouri a fed times last year. I would disarm before reaching the Illinois state line, pack my handgun it a locked case and then proceed all the way through without stopping for anything... Even a drop of gas. There is no way in the world that I will allow any tax revenues from my purchases to help fund the Draconian state of Illinois.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Let me join in on the chorus of people who avoid spending money in Illinois whenever possible.

When I drive from Cleveland to Pacific, MO to go deer hunting on my best friend's family farm, I gas up and disarm on the Indiana-Illinois border. It's a short trip across Illinois in to Missouri and we don't spend a DIME there.

I have family in Chicago and have to go there once a year. I'd avoid that if I could. When my mother's no longer around, my trips to Illinois cease once and for all.

Links