What do people think about OC?

This is a discussion on What do people think about OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you are OC (Minus the people that do care, call the police etc...) what do you think the average person who doesn't say anything ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do people think about OC?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

What do people think about OC?

When you are OC (Minus the people that do care, call the police etc...) what do you think the average person who doesn't say anything to you thinks to themselves when they see you OCing?

2. Remove Ads

You have no control over what others think about you open carrying, as long as you don't intentionally create a sensation while doing so. Why worry about it? The debate between OC and CC will likely continue forever ..... I choose to CC.... works for me... what you choose is up to you. I could care less what vehicle you drive, OR how you choose to carry your firearm. Educate yourself so you don't get surprised, or rudely awakened, and then...... carry....however you want to. Be comfortable, and be safe.....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    You have no control over what others think about you open carrying, as long as you don't intentionally create a sensation while doing so. Why worry about it? The debate between OC and CC will likely continue forever ..... I choose to CC.... works for me... what you choose is up to you. I could care less what vehicle you drive, OR how you choose to carry your firearm. Educate yourself so you don't get surprised, or rudely awakened, and then...... carry....however you want to. Be comfortable, and be safe.....
    Thats not really what I was asking...

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I think that the vast majority assume you are a plain clothes LEO.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    When you are OC (Minus the people that do care, call the police etc...) what do you think the average person who doesn't say anything to you thinks to themselves when they see you OCing?
    I would think that the vast majority who say nothing, have no problem with it.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I would have to go with the LEO train of thought. I know before I started carrying thats what I thought. The ones who dont think you are an LEO probably think you are a gun nut and dont say anything cause they beleive you will probably snap and shoot up the WHOLE state. Or perhaps they may be a part of the educated crowd and applaud you in their mind, but dont approach you because they dont want the sheep to notice.

VIP Member
    Most folk who "see" me OCing probably don't "observe" anything to think about.

Totally different setting, but sort of to the point. For years, I maintained trail, mostly the AT. Once, a group of hikers passed me as I stood about about five to six feet off the trail, in clear view, wearing a blaze orange hardhat, and holding a idling chainsaw, as I had stopped cutting to let my safety men let them pass. About 1/4 mile down the trail, they were asked about where I was cutting by another group of workers. The hikers said they hadn't seen a sawyer or the two safety men who were right beside the trail or heard a saw -- even when the group of workers who were brushing could hear the saw at that point.

More to the point, I had eaten in a restaurant Va-tucking about once or twice a month from when it opened until five of so months later before the staff noticed I was carrying.

SA is just not part of many folk's skill set.
    Last edited by DaveH; March 28th, 2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: run on
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I'm not an active OC guy here, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much, but I have thought about this quite a bit.

IMHO, I'd say that quite a few people never notice you're OCing, and then those that do see you, probably think you're a LEO.

Now for the rest of the people........They probably keep their eye on you a bit to see what might happen next, if anything. I think they really don't want to get involved so long as no apparent harm, threat or scene being made. I think they'd just like to finish their shopping, or eating their hamburger and be on their way without incident. The sort of "if it doesn't affect me, I'm not getting involved" attitude.

OC'ers have the right to dress and look as they wish, I would think that a easy-going "scrubbed and polished" sharp appearance while OC'ing put people at ease. Like it or not, perception plays a big part in our lives, I think this is why a lot of OC'ers are assumed to be LEO's.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Your style of dress can very much dictate 'first impressions'; most people GET a first impression whether they choose to admit it or not.

Combine sloppy dress with an exposed gun, or combine casual clean-cut dress with an exposed gun...two different impressions.

Many sheep (especially on cell phones) have no idea about the world around them. ...they see very little.

That said, I couldn't care less about what others think.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with many of the above posts. I OC on ocassion. I find I am doing so more now that the weather is getting nicer. On the few occasions that people have actually noticed that I was open carring, they either said nothing or said good afternoon officer. When I open carry I try to make sure that I am dressed in a professional manner. I am ex military so I still maintain the clean cut soldier look. I think that this is why most think I am LEO. Personally I just go about my business and dont much care what others think of my OC. I also try to not draw any undue attention to my self either.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Thats not really what I was asking...
    Sorry, My crystal ball has never worked properly... ...
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If I could read minds I could tell you what others are thinking when they see that I have a handgun strapped to my side.

Even if I could read minds I can assure you that most of them will not be thinking about why I am carrying a firearm.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I could be wrong, but I suspect that folks in different parts of the country react/think somewhat differently to "exposed" firearms than in others. I think that people are more observant than we give credit for, they just don't want to "get involved". If your area is known for hunting, etc. you are less likely to be "noticed". Carrying downtown San Diego, or LA, hummm, maybe a bit different. Location within a city may be a factor too.

Respectfully

Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

The average buisness owner thinks 'Man, I have got to put up a sign'

The average cop thinks 'Well there's a nut job that couldn't get a CCW'

The average Mom thinks 'There's a cop, at least I hope he's a cop' as she and her kids slink away from you

The average CC'er thinks 'There's one of those guys who get the signs put up'

Don't believe those? The average person is not sensible. The average person does not think like you. And the average person does not agree with you.
    Last edited by rstickle; March 28th, 2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Removed political statement

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    The average buisness owner thinks 'Man, I have got to put up a sign'

The average cop thinks 'Well there's a nut job that couldn't get a CCW'

The average Mom thinks 'There's a cop, at least I hope he's a cop' as she and her kids slink away from you

The average CC'er thinks 'There's one of those guys who get the signs put up'

Don't believe those? The average person is not sensible. The average person does not think like you. And the average person does not agree with you.
    I believe that it is our responsibility to educate people about guns. How can we educate them if they dont see guns in public. I think that you must portray a positive professional image when you open carry. If this is done, most will either not notice or just assume you are a LEO plain clothes. I OC when I can and where it is appropriate!
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links