OC at Target in Saginaw

OC at Target in Saginaw

This is a discussion on OC at Target in Saginaw within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was shopping at Target this weekend with my 3 year old daughter and my 9 year old step daughter. We walked around the toy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC at Target in Saginaw

OC at Target in Saginaw

I was shopping at Target this weekend with my 3 year old daughter and my 9 year old step daughter. We walked around the toy isle and made a few selections. I was getting really hot at that point and decided to take my sweat shirt off that was my concealment garment and OC. When i open carry i make a point to smile and say hello to anyone who looks at me or my gun. I want people to realize everyone with a gun is not a psycho on a rampage and that there are a few good people left in the world (or at least in Saginaw MI). We headed to the checkout line and were waiting for our turn when the 3 year old started singing the Cops theme song and dancing. I look behind me and see 6 police officers directly behind me that were obviously there for me, most trying to hide a smile due to the young one. I am the GM for a hotel in the area that invites all the local police to come in and eat our breakfast in the mornings and get coffee when ever they want. Due to this i knew all the police by first name and they knew me also. They made a few jokes and told me that the call was about me causing a "scene" at the store. One of the officers told me that they were making much more of a scene than i was at that time and they would wait outside for me. We made our purchases, assured the cashier that they (police) were just doing there jobs and nothing to worry about. We ended up talking in the parking lot about guns and gear for a half hour. I always offer free shooting lessons to any of them that want, as a J/K... I even went to my hotel and booked a officer that was there a room for a employee rate for a room right after.

After i got home i ended up calling the store and talking to the manager about the incident and informed him of the laws (very politely of course). He was very nice and actually said that he had no personal problem or formal policy against OC but was obligated to call the police when a customer voiced there concerns. I can totally see that point and understand fully from a liability point of view. I am a big gun rights advocate, but also a professional who is responsible for a large business. Always remember to be polite and understanding of not only the police but the businesses position when a conformation arises. It goes a long way for the appearance of our cause in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by jp4240 View Post
    We headed to the checkout line and were waiting for our turn when the 3 year old started singing the Cops theme song and dancing.
    I can just see my 13 yo soon-to-be step daughter doing that!

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    To the OP: Sounds like it well handled and I appreciate that you followed up with the manager of the store. The only way people will become accustomed to OC is if they start seeing it on a regular basis.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member
    To the OP:

I think you handled it well. I have OCed every time I have ever been to a Target, but never had a negative reaction. Sorry for the inconvenience of the MWAG call though.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Worked out fine and in a cordial manner. Glad to hear you knew the officers as that likely shortened the formalities. The only thing that I questioned was...why did they send 6 officers? 6 seems excessive....it's not like WW reported an active shooter...just a mwag.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Worked out fine and in a cordial manner. Glad to hear you knew the officers as that likely shortened the formalities. The only thing that I questioned was...why did they send 6 officers? 6 seems excessive....it's not like WW reported an active shooter...just a mwag.
    Likely they were bored and wanted something to do. 2 or 3 would be understandable, the rest are just looking for something to do.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    The police back each-other up in this area very well. They have had some major issues in this area before and are not taking any chances from the looks of it. Also i am sure a boredom factor was in play also. It was 6 officers from 3 different departments; Carrollton, Sheriff, Saginaw Township. All really good cops that responded to a call ready to handle a worst case situation.

Thanks for the kind words all!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I can just see my 13 yo soon-to-be step daughter doing that!
    You have to see her in action with the full dance and song to truly appreciate it! Hilarious and great timing! I try to teach the kids that cops are good and to interact with them whenever it is acceptable. She had taken that to a new level lately though....

The police back each-other up in this area very well. They have had some major issues in this area before and are not taking any chances from the looks of it. Also i am sure a boredom factor was in play also. It was 6 officers from 3 different departments; Carrollton, Sheriff, Saginaw Township. All really good cops that responded to a call ready to handle a worst case situation.
    Sounds like they used the opportunity to exercise their mutual assistance plan.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    It's a shame someone bothered to call the cops for a guy with his kids, but at least everything went pretty well. It must be nice to know a lot of the police on a first name basis.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    Punishment: You must lock yourself in a dark room and listen to every single CD ever recorded by Michael Bolton. Twice.
    Eighth Amendment - Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

You have to see her in action with the full dance and song to truly appreciate it! Hilarious and great timing! I try to teach the kids that cops are good and to interact with them whenever it is acceptable. She had taken that to a new level lately though....
    Soooooo, where is that video

"Bad boys bad boys, what you gonna do"...
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Ever wonder what the sheeple are thinking " Oh my god 911 he has a gun and a baby singing the cops theme song quick send someone"

Very funny!

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Wow, that's really harsh.

Maybe a less cruel punishment would be to have to listen to all the CD's of Michael Bolton only once along with 2 albums by Brittany Spears and read one teen magazine cover to cover? We'll relent and let you have a nightlight on while reading but no bathroom breaks.
    So, now you have revealed yourself to be just another bleeding-heart, soft-on-crime liberal!
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links