Trip to Food City

Trip to Food City

This is a discussion on Trip to Food City within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was lazy last night, so I didn't want to bother with putting on my concealed holster. Instead I just got the standard holster for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Food City

Trip to Food City

I was lazy last night, so I didn't want to bother with putting on my concealed holster. Instead I just got the standard holster for my XD45 and strapped it on my hip.

The interesting thing is NOBODY even seemed to notice the gun in plain sight. I was in the store for about 15 minutes up and down several aisles getting my items. Absolutely NOBODY seemed to look at the gun. The topper was that after I paid and was walking out a COP was walking in. He didn't notice either even though we walked right past each other!

It was a non event and I'm sure I'll OC more in the future but for the most part I'll continue to CC.

Obviously, this was my first time for open carry. It was too easy just to strap the XD on my hip. Dang!!!! Now I'm going to have to buy a nice holster to use instead of the cheap piece of plastic that came with the gun!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I do the same thing from time to time, just because I am lazy. I find that very few will even notice when I OC, and those who do are never mean spirited about it. (I mean, I'm carrying a gun...who is going to act up?) For the most part people are oblivious and see what they want to see.

Stay safe!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I see this same trend whenever OC is mentioned - that people tend not to see or notice the gun.

This is probably not true. For the most part people likely DO see the gun. However, few people do anything about it

The first reason is probably because relatively few people are so afraid of guns that the mere sight of one sends them into hysterics. The second is because for the most part; their momma didn't raise no fool to go provoking a guy who carries iron.

The brave ones are those who will catch your eye and politely nod in your direction. The fools are the ones who ask "are you a cop?" If I was a cop it'd be obvious. If I am a BG then the idiot question just might be the thing that tips me over the edge. And if I go over that edge the fool is probably the first victim.

Ask them back: "You see a MWAG and there is no one between you and the door. If you are so afraid, WHY are you still here?"

Im sure the majority of people dont notice, but trust me, when i notice that someone is OCing, they dont notice that i notice :)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Im sure the majority of people dont notice, but trust me, when i notice that someone is OCing, they dont notice that i notice :)
    I understand that but as this was the first time I had OC'd I was especially alert to the folks around me.

It might be the old LEO in me, but I notice very very often when someone is OC'ing, I pick up most times when they are CC'ing. If the individual is going about their normal business, they are most often times ok. I'm not the only person with a CCDW license in my State, in fact for the size of Delaware, we have a large portion of the population that have their CCDW license, even though we are a "MAY ISSUE" State.

I would think the LEO did notice, but also had no RAS to stop you for a legal activity. With only a couple exceptions, Tennessee cops are knowledgable about our gun laws. Most could care less if you are OC, but the do notice.

Now the general public, on the other hand, are mostly oblivious to anything that doesn't directly concern them. Sometimes not even then.

Why do you go out looking for a reaction? It's lawful and a part of your daily life. I don't go around trying to determine if people are reacting to the fact that I am wearing pants.

Quote Originally Posted by dakeypoo View Post
    Why do you go out looking for a reaction? It's lawful and a part of your daily life. I don't go around trying to determine if people are reacting to the fact that I am wearing pants.

First time OC is the same for any first timer CC. You are a little...well a lot self conscious, and SA is in overdrive. I doubt the OP was actively looking for a reaction or attention.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Most people wear pants...it's lawful and expected. Not too many wear a gun outside those britches. When noticed, it may generate an 'internal' reaction but few would mention it. Many people around someone OC'ing are in a terminal state of condition white and wouldn't notice anyway. To look for others reaction is pretty natural when you don't OC too often.

OC or CC'ing, I notice the folks around me and recognize when they see my sidearm when openly carried. For most it's a non-event wether they actually see my sidearm or not. I'm not so much looking for a reaction as I'm just paying attention to those around me.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I was lazy last night, so I didn't want to bother with putting on my concealed holster. Instead I just got the standard holster for my XD45 and strapped it on my hip.

The interesting thing is NOBODY even seemed to notice the gun in plain sight. I was in the store for about 15 minutes up and down several aisles getting my items. Absolutely NOBODY seemed to look at the gun. The topper was that after I paid and was walking out a COP was walking in. He didn't notice either even though we walked right past each other!

It was a non event and I'm sure I'll OC more in the future but for the most part I'll continue to CC.

Obviously, this was my first time for open carry. It was too easy just to strap the XD on my hip. Dang!!!! Now I'm going to have to buy a nice holster to use instead of the cheap piece of plastic that came with the gun!
    Oh he noticed...
    He just knew the laws...sounds like a non-event, just like it's supposed to be.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction. As I said this was the first time I had OC'd and I was naturally curious as to what if any reaction there might be.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Oh he noticed...
    He just knew the laws...sounds like a non-event, just like it's supposed to be.
    I agree
    NRA life member.

I OC at our Foodcity in Dandridge all the time without a problem of course we all pretty much know each other in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post

I OC about 95% of the time in the spring/summer/fall (when ever it isn't cold out) and have done so for about 5 years now. This has been my experience every time.

The sheep do not notice for the most part. They live their lives in what I call Atomic Condition White. I am still convinced that I could walk into my local grocery store with my AR slung across my back and no one would notice. And that, is a sad commentary on the state of situational awareness of the typical .
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links