OC Holster Question....

This is a discussion on OC Holster Question.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a leather IWB holster that I absolutely love..... It almost completely conceals my weapon... The grip, and the very end of the slide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Holster Question....

OC Holster Question....

I have a leather IWB holster that I absolutely love..... It almost completely conceals my weapon... The grip, and the very end of the slide are exposed. Its extremely comfortable, has very good retention of my weapon, and is very easy to draw and reholster... But now that the weather in Michigan is getting warmer, there are times of the day where I just want to take my jacket/sweatshirt/concealment off because it gets too warm... I'm still learning the Laws & Regulations of Open Carry so I'm not completely comfortable doing so quite yet...

Now, here is where my question plays out... I do believe that OC is "all or none"... its either ALL OC or ALL CC... (so I may have answered my own question?) but while I searched this topic, I noticed Photos of people who claim to OC with a IWB holster... I don't believe everything I read, see, or hear on the internet... LOL

Can one legally Open Carry with an IWB holster or do I need to go back to my old holster and have to deal with a longer concealment cover?

Thanks!
    "Tempus Fugit. Memento Mori.

2. Remove Ads

You can legally carry with an IWB holster. If you have your CPL in michigan it doesn't really matter wether the gun is concealed or not. There is no standard as to how much gun needs to be showing for it to be open carry. I'm not sure how the laws of open carry work in michigan, I just conceal it to avoid too much trouble.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    No shall issue state that I am aware of that allows open carry prohibits the use of IWB holsters to carry out in the open. Public perception of open carry varies from state to state and even from city to city so carry wisely.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

In Minnesota, it's a Permit to Carry, and that carry can be open or concealed. I have a leather OWB holster for my MP40c that I really like, it covers up with a sweatshirt or jacket easily.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

If your going to OC, why worry about a cover garment? Once you cover it up it's CC.

so far there is a post that says OC with an IWB holster is legal..... then there is post saying its Illegal OC with an IWB... and another post not to worry about it because CC is CC and OC is OC.....

Now I'm just as confused as I was when I first posted!

Here is some info on OC in Michigan.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Michigan

I don't know the laws in your state. The laws in NC are a bit vague in that you have to be deliberately trying to conceal the weapon. I know what I think it means, but what does a LEO think it means? Personally, I'm all or nothing. I have 1 holster for CC only (IWB supertuck), 1 for OC only (Serpa paddle), and 1 that does double duty for OC or CC if need be (Beltslide). I prefer to completely expose the handgun if I am choosing to OC. It avoids the "It looks like he's trying to hide the gun" idea.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    No shall issue state that I am aware of that allows open carry prohibits the use of IWB holsters to carry out in the open. Public perception of open carry varies from state to state and even from city to city so carry wisely.
    ^This says you can use an IWB holster

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    In Minnesota, it's a Permit to Carry, and that carry can be open or concealed. I have a leather OWB holster for my MP40c that I really like, it covers up with a sweatshirt or jacket easily.
    He's saying you can carry OWB and simply slide a jacket over it to conceal it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If your going to OC, why worry about a cover garment? Once you cover it up it's CC.
    He's saying you shouldn't worry about what your wearing if you want to open carry.

I'm not sure where you saw all the differing opinions...

I received some clarification from MichiganOpenCarry.Org....

Basically, it is okay to OC with a IWB holster, However, there are some gray areas in Michigan's laws.... even though I have my CPL; which in Michigan, one who has a State Issued Concealed Pistol License (which is considered a license from the state to carry a firearm) is able to Open Carry in Pistol Free Zones, BUT the weapon has to be FULLY Exposed, that does not happen with an IWB holster....
    It was suggested that If I want to Open Carry, to fully expose the weapon for 2 reasons; to stay outside of the gray area of the law and promote the education to the public about Open Carrying...

Thanks for all the help!

---STOGIE---
    .....o~`o

Quote Originally Posted by STOGIE01 View Post
    I received some clarification from MichiganOpenCarry.Org....

Basically, it is okay to OC with a IWB holster, However, there are some gray areas in Michigan's laws.... even though I have my CPL; which in Michigan, one who has a State Issued Concealed Pistol License (which is considered a license from the state to carry a firearm) is able to Open Carry in Pistol Free Zones, BUT the weapon has to be FULLY Exposed, that does not happen with an IWB holster....
    It was suggested that If I want to Open Carry, to fully expose the weapon for 2 reasons; to stay outside of the gray area of the law and promote the education to the public about Open Carrying...

Thanks for all the help!

---STOGIE---
    .....o~`o
    What pistol free zones are you talking about? Where did you get this information. I've never heard of being able to OC in pistol free zones because I have my CPL.

I'd like a link to this information. I don't believe it is true, and could get you in a TON of trouble if you start carrying into pistol free zones.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    OK since you have a CPL (i would assume) it doesn't matter.. but for us who don't OC is defined that the general public must be able to see that it is a handgun and recognize it as a handgun.

If you are CC it does matter it you expose your firearm. The Michigan Attorney General's Opinion 7101 States that in no way is the openly carrying of a pistol threating or brandishing and does not violate section 234e of the Michigan penal code. (which is the terms for brandishing i.e. the waving around of the firearm. ) Good luck
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

OMG..

Sure is a good thing we have politicians making the rules to keep us safe!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    What pistol free zones are you talking about? Where did you get this information. I've never heard of being able to OC in pistol free zones because I have my CPL.

I'd like a link to this information. I don't believe it is true, and could get you in a TON of trouble if you start carrying into pistol free zones.
    NO YOU CAN OPEN CARRY IN PISTOL FREE ZONES if you have a CPL.. look on your CPL it states that you my NOT CONCEAL CARRY in these place.. not anything about Open Carry
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post

http://www.miopencarry.org/Attachmen...o_Pamphlet.PDF

1) Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a safety inspected handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL. Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.
    MSP Legal Update Newsletter: April 2007: Did You Know: It is not illegal under Michigan law to openly carry a pistol...

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d) A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act (BAR). (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession
    of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    b) A peace officer.
    c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

State of Michigan Attorny General's Opinion #7097:
    Opinion #7097

MCL 750.234d Section 2, part c.:

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d
    THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 328 of 1931

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

All I know is that I'm not carrying, OC or CC, in any of the places listed on my CPL. I don't speak lawyer and I would seriously comtemplate seeking legal advice before you start OCing everywhere.

Michigan is not very OC friendly from what I've heard and read. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links