Do Women who OC get same result as Men? - Page 3

Do Women who OC get same result as Men?

This is a discussion on Do Women who OC get same result as Men? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm The woman who OC'd in Pennsylvania last year certainly had an attempt at public shaming, when she had the typical ignorant ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Do Women who OC get same result as Men?

  1. #31
    Member Array maddog3241's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The woman who OC'd in Pennsylvania last year certainly had an attempt at public shaming, when she had the typical ignorant "Man with a gun!" type call made about her. For months, it ignited a public debate about how wrong firearms were, in this day and age, and to think that a woman would dare do something so ridiculous particularly around her kids. Sound familiar? Well, she was subjected to the same crap as anyone else.
    I beleive that she is also dead. Her husband shot her in the head if I recall correctly... To bad, I think he was a jail guard or sheriff deputy or something like that. Sad...

    But I would think that the soccer moms would scowl, and the guys could careless...


  2. #32
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,843
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog3241 View Post
    I beleive that she is also dead.
    Yes, she did get killed. Click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  3. #33
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    The soccer moms had screaming fits, literally. She wound up charged with breach of peace, even though OC was perfectly legal. BTW, she was a soccer mom, too - there with her own children.
    Not only that, but the country sheriff revoked her permit to carry concealed.....forcing her to OC ONLY!!!

    You can OC without a permit....

    So what is the result? Feel-good, do-nothing policies from political LEOs
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  4. #34
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by oncourse View Post
    my concerns aren't related to the gender as much as thoughts of a successful disarm of said gal or guy FTM by a wild wooley wingnut. Women OCing bothers me big time unless I feel she could take me down quickly even under surprise attempt and I find it hard to imagine...fending off a very determined thug.
    Don't be foolish enough to believe that just because a woman is small or not as strong as you, that she can't defend herself, or hold her own in a fight/grapling match. It takes a surprisingly small amount of force to make someone hit the ground and comply quickly when applied appropriately.

    As a general assumption to that effect, you would probably be correct, but just looking at a woman, you have no way of knowing her background, ability or strength. Thinking you can sum her up is the same kind of mistake that the badguys you see on the news make.
    Walk softly ...

  5. #35
    Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,328
    If the woman is a attractive woman you say?

    I wouldn't be alarmed. I would be thinking of a way to talk to her
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

  6. #36
    Member Array oncourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Biloxi/Gulfport
    Posts
    20
    BigStick, thanks for addressing my odd worded statement, you are exactly right and I agree with what you say. My concerns are even with a very alert (eyes in the back of the head kind of person) one off guard, caught by a nutt case and snap!! one plod newly armed looking to make it up to himself. Hypothetcal true but it has happened to LE and is a scenario CC doesn't outwardly concern with.

  7. #37
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    I've Open Carried on a few occasions. Usually where required by law and to gun events like gun shows, open carry lunches and meeting and (of course) matches.

    Surprisingly enough, when carrying at gun shows people ALWAYS turn and ask MY HUSBAND if my gun is for sale like he made ME wear it as a way to advertise. That MAKES ME SOOOOOOO ANGRY!

    Bless my husband he always says, "What are you looking at me for? It's her gun."

    The first time I open carried in a restaurant a man came up to me and asked me if I was a police officer. I said I was not and he then proceeded to ask if my gun was a lighter. I said it was very real and very legal for a normal citizen to carry openly in our state. He looked confused but did not press the issue.

    At a Babies R' Us I was given some surprised or dirty looks by other women but no one approached me.

    I have gotten comments along the lines of, "What a fine woman who carries a fine firearm." .. Thanks, but no thanks.

    While out with my family a restaurant manager said, "HOLY COW! Is that real?"

    My mother started going on about how real it was and how great of a shot I am, etc, etc. She was so loud and drew more attention to me than the manager. I was pretty embarrassed. Thankfully we were leaving so that was the end of that.

    There were two other people with us open carrying, both men but I was the only one who seemed to be noticed. Maybe it's just the fact that some men notice things on women more because they are looking.. if you know what I mean.

    Three times, I have gotten VERY negative comments relating to my carrying and they were all centered around my abilities (or lack thereof) with my firearm. Things like, "There's no reason for you to carry that thing cause you won't know what to do with it when the time comes, anyway." or "I don't want you hurting yourself." or "You have no business carrying a gun." As you can imagine, comments like that just about send me through the roof.

    I think there are three main differences between men and women open carrying firearms.

    For the majority, when a woman is seen carrying a firearm people do not automatically assume she is there to shoot the place up.
    Let's face it, women are usually not active, random shooters and people are more likely to be annoyed she has a gun or fear she doesn't know how to use it properly than they are going to fear that she is just going to start randomly gunning people down. So I think there isn't that initial fear of her being there to do any harm, just a fear of the gun in general. People see a man they don't know with a gun and often their first thought is what his intentions are with that gun, that not necessarily the case with a woman.

    Two: Men seem to notice a woman open carrying more easily than they notice a man doing the same. I don't know if it's because of our clothes, the way our body shapes make openly carried guns more prominent or just the fact that men are looking, but the fact of the matter is that almost every time I've open carried it has been with a man who was doing the same and I'm the only one to get comments (good or bad). It seems like either the men are not noticed or no one wants to deal with them.

    Which leads me to difference number three: I think people are more comfortable approaching a woman and asking her why she's carrying than a man so she may get approached more than a man.
    As said before, I've open carried in groups of men doing the same and only I have been approached. Either, a) no one saw the guns on the guys or b) they weren't afraid to approach me and ask me about my openly carried gun.
    I think people sometimes see women as more approachable and more willing to talk about what they are doing and why than a man. Perhaps they fear just ticking the man off and making him angry enough to where he would use his gun.

  8. #38
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,733
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I've Open Carried on a few occasions. Usually where required by law and to gun events like gun shows, open carry lunches and meeting and (of course) matches.

    Surprisingly enough, when carrying at gun shows people ALWAYS turn and ask MY HUSBAND if my gun is for sale like he made ME wear it as a way to advertise. That MAKES ME SOOOOOOO ANGRY!

    Bless my husband he always says, "What are you looking at me for? It's her gun."

    The first time I open carried in a restaurant a man came up to me and asked me if I was a police officer. I said I was not and he then proceeded to ask if my gun was a lighter. I said it was very real and very legal for a normal citizen to carry openly in our state. He looked confused but did not press the issue.

    At a Babies R' Us I was given some surprised or dirty looks by other women but no one approached me.

    I have gotten comments along the lines of, "What a fine woman who carries a fine firearm." .. Thanks, but no thanks.

    While out with my family a restaurant manager said, "HOLY COW! Is that real?"

    My mother started going on about how real it was and how great of a shot I am, etc, etc. She was so loud and drew more attention to me than the manager. I was pretty embarrassed. Thankfully we were leaving so that was the end of that.

    There were two other people with us open carrying, both men but I was the only one who seemed to be noticed. Maybe it's just the fact that some men notice things on women more because they are looking.. if you know what I mean.

    Three times, I have gotten VERY negative comments relating to my carrying and they were all centered around my abilities (or lack thereof) with my firearm. Things like, "There's no reason for you to carry that thing cause you won't know what to do with it when the time comes, anyway." or "I don't want you hurting yourself." or "You have no business carrying a gun." As you can imagine, comments like that just about send me through the roof.

    I think there are three main differences between men and women open carrying firearms.

    For the majority, when a woman is seen carrying a firearm people do not automatically assume she is there to shoot the place up.
    Let's face it, women are usually not active, random shooters and people are more likely to be annoyed she has a gun or fear she doesn't know how to use it properly than they are going to fear that she is just going to start randomly gunning people down. So I think there isn't that initial fear of her being there to do any harm, just a fear of the gun in general. People see a man they don't know with a gun and often their first thought is what his intentions are with that gun, that not necessarily the case with a woman.

    Two: Men seem to notice a woman open carrying more easily than they notice a man doing the same. I don't know if it's because of our clothes, the way our body shapes make openly carried guns more prominent or just the fact that men are looking, but the fact of the matter is that almost every time I've open carried it has been with a man who was doing the same and I'm the only one to get comments (good or bad). It seems like either the men are not noticed or no one wants to deal with them.

    Which leads me to difference number three: I think people are more comfortable approaching a woman and asking her why she's carrying than a man so she may get approached more than a man.
    As said before, I've open carried in groups of men doing the same and only I have been approached. Either, a) no one saw the guns on the guys or b) they weren't afraid to approach me and ask me about my openly carried gun.
    I think people sometimes see women as more approachable and more willing to talk about what they are doing and why than a man. Perhaps they fear just ticking the man off and making him angry enough to where he would use his gun.
    Thanks Limatunes, that was the type of response I've been looking for. You've had some quite funny reactions while OC'ing. Just the type of reactions I figured would happen. They seem to notice you more than the men you are with.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  9. #39
    Member Array dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Westland, MI
    Posts
    81
    Women that carry guns are hot, carried openly, even hotter!

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Women who OC are more prone to get noticed because (as the old saying goes) men tend to watch women with the same intensity as wolves watch caribou.

    The ones who reproach you over it are the ones who likely have no respect for women in general.

  11. #41
    Member Array Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    192
    I OC a lot of the time - working in a gun store, I even get to do it at work. I've had some interesting, non-negative conversations with folks at the shop.

    Of course, I OC when at a restaurant (as required here in VA if they serve alcohol). I've had a couple folks ask me if I was a police officer (really? uh... no). One promptly assumed that the gun wasn't real (I assured her that it was, indeed, a real firearm - not a BB gun). I've had a compliment (someone walked up to me at a buffet and told me it was good to see someone exercising her rights).

    Honestly, I'd say 95% of the time, no one even notices. Probably less if I have my 10-year-old son with me. I tell him he's the ultimate in concealment.

  12. #42
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,863
    I can say how I might react..... I'm single, and the woman I saw at the range with the pistol and shotgun was single..... and I struck up a conversation and asked her to go out with me. A great lady .... and yes we went out more than a few times. Then she decided many months later she & her Ex were getting back together. Ugh.

  13. #43
    Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,974
    yeah women can't handle gu.... umm...dear.. put that down... it's not loa... CLICK... ok now its loaded...


    all kidding aside, many times women taking the CCW class with their hubbys actually shoot better then the guy.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

  14. #44
    Member Array bwhunter65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by polishnightmare View Post
    I remember a story where a women, I think PA went to a soccer game OCing. The police were called and I think they tried to get her for disturbing the peace. I think the charges were dropped. However the sheep that were at the game were not happy campers.
    just a side note that lady was later killed by her boyfriend or husband cant remember which.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

    -- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

  15. #45
    VIP Member Array LongRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by oncourse View Post
    my concerns aren't related to the gender as much as thoughts of a successful disarm of said gal or guy FTM by a wild wooley wingnut. Women OCing bothers me big time unless I feel she could take me down quickly even under surprise attempt and I find it hard to imagine...fending off a very determined thug.
    READ THE FREAKING RULES
    Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    I am sick of folks posting the same old stupid ignorant fabrications about crap that has NEVER EVER happened. Just make up garbage to be afraid of for no reason, running around screaming the sky is falling.
    Maybe do a little research before posting on the internet letting everyone know exactly how little you know about a subject
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Result of restricting the 2nd Amendment
    By ArmyCop in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 28th, 2010, 04:30 AM
  2. Inexpensive Starter pt 2 - end result
    By Random in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM
  3. Paranoia... And a bad result of not being paranoid...
    By Paladin132 in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: July 31st, 2008, 05:28 PM
  4. The European Disunion: Look at the Result
    By Rock and Glock in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 5th, 2006, 07:06 PM
  5. Good result.
    By P95Carry in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Search tags for this page

open carry women catcalls

Click on a term to search for related topics.