Bad Encounter with Manager @ Gander Mountain

This is a discussion on Bad Encounter with Manager @ Gander Mountain within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went into the store in Sheffield Village with my three sons and was open carrying my Glock 19 and had no problem in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Encounter with Manager @ Gander Mountain

I went into the store in Sheffield Village with my three sons and was open carrying my Glock 19 and had no problem in the firearm department, as I was walking around the store another customer approached me and said "Do you ever get harassed when you open carry?" Just as I was about to say "no" a frantic woman came up to us and said that if I had what she called a CCW that I had to conceal my weapon. I informed her that she was incorrect and quoted her the ORC and she got even more flustered (I remained calm) and said that the police told her that was the case and I offered to wait while she called the police so she could get a better education. She became even more flustered and said "I'm not going to argue with you" I replied "I'm not arguing, just trying to educate you but if you would like me to spend my money elsewhere then I would be happy to do so at a pro-gun store" as she walked away she threw her hands in the air and said "yeah i'm not pro-gun, that's why I have a CCW!!" Below is an excerpt from Gander Mountain's own website that I checked before I went in:

OPEN AND CONCEAL CARRY POLICY

Our customers that are legally carrying a firearm concealed on their person or openly as State Law permits are welcome in our stores.

We do ask that customers bringing in firearms or bows for repair or quotes bring them in cased and check them in at the service desk, so that we can ensure they are handled safely while in our possession.

Here is the link...http://www.gandermountain.com/customer_ ... licy.shtml

I am emailing Gander Mountain Corp. and will send them the link to this thread so they can see the incompetence of the store manager.

BTW the customer who was talking to me also left and as he did he said "sorry to jinx you" and "she's wrong" so that was two customers that she turned away.
    What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Instead of sending a link to the thread and emailing, why don't you call them and discuss the issues you had. Just my opinion.

I've never been to a Gander Mtn but I've heard these stories about them. If I ever run across one I think I'll choose to OC just cause! Good luck with your letter/email. If they are going to be a sportsman/outdoors type company they better educate their employees.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    i was in gander the other day and noticed the same sign on the front door saying it was perfectly fine to carry either open or concealed. The woman obviously needs to check the rules again.

The Gander Mountain I frequent it is clearly poseted as you come in that they comply with local laws for carring. in this state OC is not allowed but CC is and the sign clearly states that you can carry per the state laws.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Sounds like an ignorance of the law and not ignorance of the store policy, and the way she approached about it sounds like one of those things that tends to be spread word of mouth to produce a myth that sounds like fact.

If I were you I'd send a letter to that store addressed to the management staff, explain your experience, include copies of the applicable statutes so that their understanding can be cleared up, and if applicable a copy of the receipts where you spent your money elsewhere that day. If you wish to take it beyond that store I'd make sure it's not presented as a GM policy issue but rather an issue with how a manager approached customer service.

FWIW from my couch, in a different state, with different laws and different gerenral attitude toward guns; if presented with a similar situation, I wouldn't encourage the calling of the police but rather reiterate that what I was doing was indeed legal, and if they'd like me to leave that I will comply.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    We just had an Open Carry Convention at the Gander Mt. by us... so I hope no harassment for us... sorry you didn't have such a good shopping adventure. Good luck I just went through the corp. fight with Walmart.... Stick to the laws and our RIGHTS... Carry on my friend!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

In my opinion, open carry just begs for crazed encounters like that. That's why I don't do it. I believe in keep it simple, keep it concealed. Just my 2 cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Next time just tell her you don't have a "CCW" and walk off and resume your shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion View Post
    In my opinion, open carry just begs for crazed encounters like that. That's why I don't do it. I believe in keep it simple, keep it concealed. Just my 2 cents.
    Mind you the top of this forum says...
    This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    And I happen to live in a no issue state that has severe restrictions on when I can OC, so virtue or not that's just how it is.

I for one am interested to see what if anything comes from the OPs story, as for accessories GM isn't that bad on pricing and I can easily get to one same day, and the drive is only marginally farther for me to go to Cabelas for comparable pricing. There's varying degrees of allowing 2A rights to be exercised, if one store reacts substantially better to allowing me to carry in a legal manner guess which store I'm more likely to go in and more likely to comfortably spend my money.

It appears that this was a local incident based upon the reaction of one person. Obviously not a store policy. The local Gander Mtn. here is very positive and supportive of our local gun club and shooters. In fact, some of the employee shoot in our local IDPA match.

Of course here in Texas open carry is not an option.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Quote Originally Posted by gqpolo View Post
    OPEN AND CONCEAL CARRY POLICY

Our customers that are legally carrying a firearm concealed on their person or openly as State Law permits are welcome in our stores.

We do ask that customers bringing in firearms or bows for repair or quotes bring them in cased and check them in at the service desk, so that we can ensure they are handled safely while in our possession.

Here is the link...http://www.gandermountain.com/custom...rypolicy.shtml

I am emailing Gander Mountain Corp. and will send them the link to this thread so they can see the incompetence of the store manager.

BTW the customer who was talking to me also left and as he did he said "sorry to jinx you" and "she's wrong" so that was two customers that she turned away.
    Your link is broken. The correct link is http://www.gandermountain.com/custom...rypolicy.shtml

I personally wouldn't link to this thread but I would put the same thing you wrote here about what happened into the email and also include the relevant state statutes and links to them on the state's website.

Write a concise and professional email. I don't think linking to the thread helps. Besides, you have to figure, if idiots can become Senators, they definitely can get jobs slinging Hong Kong Crap over a sales counter.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

It is important to remember this point!

You can educate the illiterate, you can't fix stupid!

How Crazy... I've never been to the Gander Mountain in Sheffield Village but I had rude service at the one in Canton. You experience plus my experience is enough for me to take my money elsewhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links