First open carry experience.

This is a discussion on First open carry experience. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As posted on the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League board. I should note for the DC board this this all is taking place in the ...

As posted on the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League board. I should note for the DC board this this all is taking place in the New Orleans Metro Area...

As I type this post, I am most of the way through my first open carry experience, and I must say that it is exactly as I had hoped- totally uneventful. As a person who has concealed carried for a while this was a new experience. Here is the rundown:

I left my home in Lakeview (about 2 mins from UNO, in Orleans Parish) dressed for good impressions- blue jeans, a tucked in polo shirt, and my converse low-tops. The FNP-9 housed in my EP Saddlery holster, held on by my Beltman belt. My first stop was City Hall, where I disarmed in the car (the perks of a snap on OWB holster) and turned in the paperwork I needed to in order for Civil Service to continue through the next phase of the NOPD selection process.

After leaving City Hall, I headed into Jefferson Parish (as I have to work a partial shift today at work), where rearmed, I entered the brand new Chic-Fil-A on Vets in Metairie. I'll admit that I was a little weary initially, but did my best not to let it be seen- after a few minutes the edginess/shakiness wore off. A few people looked, but nobody really went out of their way to gawk, and I functioned the same way that I would if I was carrying concealed. There was even an off duty LEO clearly carrying under his slightly snug t-shirt who gave a first glance and nothing more. The chicken was tasty as well.

From there, I travelled east to Border's Bookstore, which is a regular hang out of mine due to their reasonably priced dark roast and free wifi. I have been here for over an hour, and while I have gotten glances from people, every interaction with the staff, or fellow customers has been the same as if I didn't have a black semi-automatic handgun on my side.

Barring any unforseen negative circumstances in the next hour or so that I will be sitting here, this will have been a totally uneventful (thankfully) but enriching experience. I think that through my appearance (casually but smartly dressed) and demeanor (holding doors for people, smiling, being polite) that any possible confrontation never had the opportinity to begin.
    Last edited by PiperLambie; April 12th, 2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling error.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Glad it went well. You will realize the most folks don't pay attention to a lot these days, but you as a permit holder should practice situational awareness. Keep alert and always be on the look out, might save your life!! Now that you went to Chick Fil A you must do the the walk around the local Wally World!!

Uneventful is good!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Glad to hear it was so uneventful. Keep it up!
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

VIP Member
    We have open carry here in Arizona though a lot of folks just opt for a permit. In any event, when people do OC, it’s really no big deal. I mean, people will glance but that’s about it. The only folks that may pee their pants are refugees from California, but that stands to reason.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You run into Stephen Seagal down there in Jefferson Parrish? :)

Quote Originally Posted by OR Hillbilly View Post
    You run into Stephen Seagal down there in Jefferson Parrish? :)
    Haven't met up with him yet, but I know a few JP deputies that have been a part of the tv show. Usually when I see them get asked about that the answer starts with a slight chuckle and slow head shake as they decide what to say exactly. Watching the show, I've never seen so much brass on the beat though as when he is out on the "job"...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Links