Open Carry tomorrow

This is a discussion on Open Carry tomorrow within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open carrying for the first time tomorrow. Working in the bad part of town and i want to be prepared. anyone ever had an experience?...

Thread: Open Carry tomorrow

Open Carry tomorrow

Open carrying for the first time tomorrow. Working in the bad part of town and i want to be prepared. anyone ever had an experience?

2. Remove Ads

Excuse this Old Man, but I'm not sure what kind of experience you are asking about. If you are asking about experience with Open Carry, why yes, I have had that experience many times, both in uniform and in civvies.

I am curious to know what kind of weapon and holster you will be carrying. Will your holster have retention and if so, to what level?

Will you be in uniform or street clothing? Open carry in street clothing seems like it can sometimes invite confrontations.

If your weapon is not in a secure retention holster it is a real invitation to have someone take it from you. Have you practiced weapon retention drills?

Why do you wish to carry open instead of concealed? For non-uniformed persons I personally believe it is far safer to carry concealed. I would make an exception to merchants and business owners within their place of business.

Back in the old days, we would carry open in the country, but never in town. We didn't think it was civilized to carry open in town.
    If I'd known I was coming to a gun fight I would have brought my rifle. Since I don't have my rifle, I guess I will be using this gun in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Why do you wish to carry open instead of concealed? For non-uniformed persons I personally believe it is far safer to carry concealed. I would make an exception to merchants and business owners within their place of business.

Back in the old days, we would carry open in the country, but never in town. We didn't think it was civilized to carry open in town.
    Really? It's right at the top of every thread in this section.
    Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    To the OP:
    Let us know how it turns out, and be thankful you have an employer that lets you OC while on the clock!

To OLD Man, please go back a re-read the rules of the open carry forum. This is NOT the place to debate the merits or lack there of in your opinion of open carry. God why do some people have such a hard time with this?

To the OP, please let us know how everything goes. Unlike some on here, I am quite interested to see how things go.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Isn't that like the third or fourth anti-oc post in the last few days??

I wish people could learn how to read the rules of this forum. I too am curious as to how things pan out. I am sick and tired of people debating this issue. Let people do as they choose. Lets reserve this forum to discuss our experiences and to gather advice from the members.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

We do a lot of open carry here in Arizona.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Everyone, don't get too uptight. I would say that by the number of his postings he is pretty new to the forums. It looks like he had had enough rebuking of his error. I made a couple of mistakes myself when I first joined. But OLD MAN did bring up a valid point about retention. Hope all goes well for you though.

Oops, this made me feel like the first time doing something or another, but I can't remember what it was!!

Points well taken, I regret that I didn't look at the topic header prior to responding.

I agree that open carry is a personal decision. Some things I just don't understand anymore. I don't like calling attention to myself, someone might just want to engage me in a situation. I am more of a Masaad Ayoob fan anymore, dress down and mosey along quietly.
    If I'd known I was coming to a gun fight I would have brought my rifle. Since I don't have my rifle, I guess I will be using this gun in my pocket.

electrfy, how'd it all work out?

Old Man, if you haven't noticed, threads that turn into OC vs CC tend to get locked down, (and it's mentioned in the rules as well) and we don't want that. You might be interested to checkout the OC Portion of Ayoobs "concealed carry" book.

Links