My NRA instructor was very against open carry

This is a discussion on My NRA instructor was very against open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1sty That, right there is why everyone should open carry! It keeps people from New Jersey, in New Jersey. That explains why ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My NRA instructor was very against open carry

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sty View Post
    That, right there is why everyone should open carry!

It keeps people from New Jersey, in New Jersey.
    That explains why there's no OC in Florida. Them Yankees wouldn't come here and spend their money!

Sometimes I think there should be a quota on how many can come at any one time!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm a resident of New Mexico and I'm glad our state allows open carry. When open carrying you have to weigh some factors like locale. I've open carried in places like Socorro and Dalies, rural areas where guns are accepted and no one thinks twice about it. I certainly wouldn't open carry in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. This is a surefire way to get to meet the local SWAT team, even though it's perfectly legal.
    Another factor is holster type. Few if any carriers are going to want to wear police type holsters to secure their guns. Most carry holsters are far from snatch proof and you know soner or later someone is going to try and grab your 1911 from your Askins Avenger.
    Just my thoughts.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That explains why there's no OC in Florida. Them Yankees wouldn't come here and spend their money!

Sometimes I think there should be a quota on how many can come at any one time!

I'd thank you to watch that Yankee comment.
    You would be amazed by how when you cross from Mass into VT, NH, and even Maine its like you somehow got warped back to Virginia.
    It the Great Northeastern Worm hole.
    Even Stephen Hawkins cant explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I personally wouldn't worry about it. He has his opinion, I have mine. No different than him saying that unless your carrying a Glock (or whatever his preferred gun is) your carrying an inferior weapon.
    Boy!

Okay, proceed...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I've been meaning to post this for sometime but kept forgetting. When I took the course required for concealed carry I brought up open carry to the NRA certified instructor and he thought it was just a terrible idea and nobody should open carry. I've never seen anyone open carry in a public place in Maine but when I lived in New Mexico I used to open carry often as did others and nobody ever paid much attention.

The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind is that the instructor said if you open carry the bad guy's now know who to target first. He felt as if you are placing a target on yourself and they would focus on taking you out first before anyone else because you have the ability to fight back.

I was a bit surprised that someone with his background and someone who is an NRA recruiter as well would not support open carry but he also did not like to associate with people that keep a gun on their nightstand for their protection.

He was a great instructor and he is a very nice guy but I just found it odd. Has anyone else ever run into a NRA instructor that does not agree with open carry?
    Think maybe he told you that because he was trained by NRA?
    Think maybe NRA has an adgenda?

This is from a Phonex newspaper article about Arizona's new Constitutinal Carry Law....

Arizona Enacts “Constitutional Carry” For Firearms
    Saturday, April 17, 2010
    By Alan Korwin

“Freedom To Carry” may replace so-called “Right To Carry” nationally

PHOENIX — With governor Jan Brewer’s signature on the new “Constitutional Carry” firearm law today, Arizona becomes a beacon state for the nation on the gun-rights issue.

Bla bla bla and then he goes on to say....

AFTERWORD: INSIDER INFORMATION:

There is one reason and one reason only why this got done –
    The Arizona Citizens Defense League.

That small handful of guys running this group, the two full-time volunteer lobbyists Dave Kopp and John Wentling, and the thousands of members who supported the effort with their tiny membership dues are exactly and precisely why our rights have expanded.

It was a deliberate, conscientious, focused and tireless effort from what must be a candidate for the best pro-rights organization in the nation. Get your friends to join, send a donation or buy a t-shirt or hat, attend the meetings, and in your little way, make a difference and preserve our rights. AZCDL Home

One other tidbit — the NRA was rightfully nervous about this whole Freedom To Carry, permitless, no training, no red tape expansion of our rights. They dragged their feet at first, that’s putting it mildly, and I can’t say I blame them. An awful lot was on the line.

They wanted to be prudent. Limit exposure and risk. They have all their trainers to think about and that revenue stream. The chance of falling flat on your face in total embarrassment is a serious concern. The ease with which the antis might cast us as dangerous gun-toting (their media’s favorite slur) nuts is a real issue.

I personally debated hard with some of the top brass, and to their credit, they finally agreed not to fight the effort in Arizona, and eventually saw the light and got on board. Some gun owners like to pick on the NRA, but the NRA is going to be at the forefront of this battle. The Constitutional Carry issue does make sense, for them and for us. It will be a winner in some states, maybe yours, and does advance everything for which NRA members stand.

Yes, some of those members, steeped in darkness, or hooked on the government-permit feed trough, believe that red-tapeless carry is a bad idea. They crave government supervision. They want that permission slip in their wallet. They’ll learn, and come around. And continue to get fine training from NRA certified and other trainers because it’s the right thing to do, not because the government commands it. Appleseed is doing a phenomenal job in the training arena too, check them out while you’re at it. Appleseed Project Home
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member

Nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    One other tidbit — the NRA was rightfully nervous about this whole Freedom To Carry, permitless, no training, no red tape expansion of our rights. They dragged their feet at first, that’s putting it mildly, and I can’t say I blame them. An awful lot was on the line.

They wanted to be prudent. Limit exposure and risk. They have all their trainers to think about and that revenue stream.
    Yes, some of those members, steeped in darkness, or hooked on the government-permit feed trough, believe that red-tapeless carry is a bad idea. They crave government supervision. They want that permission slip in their wallet.

BTW -- this is why every State needs a Citizen's Defense League, IMHO!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

BTW -- this is why every State needs a Citizen's Defense League, IMHO!
    I will agree with that.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

If you can legally OC, then it doesn't matter what any instructor says. You have the legal right to OC, so it is ultimately your decision to make and no one else's.

I've OCed since 1995 and I've learned lot. It is possible to OC and not attract any attention, if done right. Personally, I asked the Chief of Police and the Sherrif for their thoughts and how their officers view OC. Both were totally okay with it. In all of these years, only one officer had a problem with it. He was later fired for how he treated the public.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I certainly wouldn't open carry in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. This is a surefire way to get to meet the local SWAT team, even though it's perfectly legal.
    Maybe the times have changed but I used to open carry in Santa Fe all the time but this was back in 1991/92 I used to open carry on the Plaza as well as the Villa Linda Mall. I never had a problem with any officer. I even OC'ed in banks and nobody ever blinked once.

Even the time the four of us walked into McDonalds right off of Cerrillos after a day at the outdoor range nobody said anything. We all where OC'ing.

Sad that things have changed that badly in New Mexico.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links