My NRA instructor was very against open carry

My NRA instructor was very against open carry

This is a discussion on My NRA instructor was very against open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been meaning to post this for sometime but kept forgetting. When I took the course required for concealed carry I brought up open carry ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question My NRA instructor was very against open carry

I've been meaning to post this for sometime but kept forgetting. When I took the course required for concealed carry I brought up open carry to the NRA certified instructor and he thought it was just a terrible idea and nobody should open carry. I've never seen anyone open carry in a public place in Maine but when I lived in New Mexico I used to open carry often as did others and nobody ever paid much attention.

The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind is that the instructor said if you open carry the bad guy's now know who to target first. He felt as if you are placing a target on yourself and they would focus on taking you out first before anyone else because you have the ability to fight back.

I was a bit surprised that someone with his background and someone who is an NRA recruiter as well would not support open carry but he also did not like to associate with people that keep a gun on their nightstand for their protection.

He was a great instructor and he is a very nice guy but I just found it odd. Has anyone else ever run into a NRA instructor that does not agree with open carry?

I am not a fan of open carry for various reasons. Remember that many people who carry, or have carried professionally have had the benefit of real training and experience that have shown us there are many problems that can occur when the weapon is exposed. If you think OC in a bad area will be a deterent, then you are already in the wrong mindset, but I am sure there are a hundred forum commandos that will disagree. My opinion is OC is not good for the overall cause of firearm ownership, for many,many reasons, so don't be suprised to get this feedback from people who carry and use guns for a living. NOTE; I am not debating, just giving some insight as to where the negative feedback may come from.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I've been meaning to post this for sometime but kept forgetting. When I took the course required for concealed carry I brought up open carry to the NRA certified instructor and he thought it was just a terrible idea and nobody should open carry. I've never seen anyone open carry in a public place in Maine but when I lived in New Mexico I used to open carry often as did others and nobody ever paid much attention.

The biggest thing that stuck out in my mind is that the instructor said if you open carry the bad guy's now know who to target first. He felt as if you are placing a target on yourself and they would focus on taking you out first before anyone else because you have the ability to fight back.
    Ask him how many times this has happened and to provide real-world examples....not "my buddy on the PD said..." BGs, like most people, are focused on what they are doing...eyes on the prize and are looking for uniforms and badges. His opinion on OC is just that....his opinion...which is just as valid as yours. If it's legal--no worries.

I was a bit surprised that someone with his background and someone who is an NRA recruiter as well would not support open carry but he also did not like to associate with people that keep a gun on their nightstand for their protection.

He was a great instructor and he is a very nice guy but I just found it odd. Has anyone else ever run into a NRA instructor that does not agree with open carry?
    I've read a on a few boards that there is a prevailing bias against OC by NRA instructors, but usually because of ignorance.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I am not a fan of open carry for various reasons. Remember that many people who carry, or have carried professionally have had the benefit of real training and experience that have shown us there are many problems that can occur when the weapon is exposed. If you think OC in a bad area will be a deterent, then you are already in the wrong mindset, but I am sure there are a hundred forum commandos that will disagree. My opinion is OC is not good for the overall cause of firearm ownership, for many,many reasons, so don't be suprised to get this feedback from people who carry and use guns for a living. NOTE; I am debating, just giving some insight as to where the negative feedback may come from.
    However, in my experience, I've had people engage me in conversation asking about open and concealed carry, training, and state laws. Thus, a good example of a law-abiding gun-owner...not a vigilante or criminal people see on TV or on the news.

Never "OMG! HE'S GOT A GUN!"---except one couple from NJ who ventured south and saw me at a gas station....flagged down a deputy who then told them, "this is Virginia, he's a law-abiding citizen, no laws are being broken...have a nice day"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    However, in my experience, I've had people engage me in conversation asking about open and concealed carry, training, and state laws. Thus, a good example of a law-abiding gun-owner...not a vigilante or criminal people see on TV or on the news.

Never "OMG! HE'S GOT A GUN!"---except one couple from NJ who ventured south and saw me at a gas station....flagged down a deputy who then told them, "this is Virginia, he's a law-abiding citizen, no laws are being broken...have a nice day"
    I would love to engage in this more, but....rules are rules

I think it's a lot weirder that he's put off by someone keeping a gun handy at night

Ask him if it's RKBA or RKBCA...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I personally wouldn't worry about it. He has his opinion, I have mine. No different than him saying that unless your carrying a Glock (or whatever his preferred gun is) your carrying an inferior weapon.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I personally wouldn't worry about it. He has his opinion, I have mine. No different than him saying that unless your carrying a Glock (or whatever his preferred gun is) your carrying an inferior weapon.
    +1

Like noses -- everyone has one and many smell, to one degree or another.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I am an NRA Instructor and Recruiter. I have nothing against people who open carry or discourage it. I myself do not open carry and thats just my choice, just because I dont want too, doesn't mean i should discourage it from someone who does. If i was in a state where Concealed Carry was not allowed but Open carry was I would at that point.

The NRA as far as i know does not have a view on this.

OC vs CC can go on forever. But, what's with the nightstand opinion?

Maybe he means don't leave an exposed gun on your nightstand if you have kids in the house? Otherwise, I'm not sure where he was coming from with that one. (Also strange wording -- "doesn't like to associate" with any who keeps a gun on the nightstand)

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    OC vs CC can go on forever. But, what's with the nightstand opinion?

Maybe he means don't leave an exposed gun on your nightstand if you have kids in the house? Otherwise, I'm not sure where he was coming from with that one. (Also strange wording -- "doesn't like to associate" with any who keeps a gun on the nightstand)
    He thinks those that keep a gun on the nightstand ready to go are a danger to themselves for not having their guns locked up properly. I live in a small apartment and I can't keep my primary self defense gun locked up. I keep it close and it did upset me a tad with his statement but I never addressed him about it.

He truly does not want to associate with people that do not handle firearms properly in his opinion and I think that is the problem when I think about it. He told us a story during class about a guy that came into the gun store. My instructor was there to check something out. Well when the guy bent over to look at something he could see his gun dangling from his shoulder holster. This made him very unconformable and he left right way. He told us this.

He no longer wanted to be around that person because they where displaying their gun in a manner he felt was very inappropriate even though it was holstered properly.

just opinions I dont like Open carry either..but im also not against it. its just not anything I will ever exercise because of the way I think about perceptions of others and what they do for or against 2nd amendment rights/laws or changes that get made to them. I think open carry does nothing to HELP them and a lot to HURT them.

Lets face it Open carry is not "educating" anyone and for the general public it more scares or makes people want to stay away from the person open carrying even if they are acting "normal"..so when they think about people carrying guns they think about the guy open carrying and how it "bugged" them when if the same guy were CC they would never have known..but anyways...its just opinion by 1 guy...I have had instructors that were so hellbent on 1 particular brand of pistol being the best that they would pretty much project onto you that if you didnt own said brand you better get it or how your brand would not work if SHTF...we all know thats BS but the instructor keeps preaching it to this day...

Being an NRA instructor simply means they have passed the required test to teach NRA courses - nothing more.

It does not mean they are qualified to give advice on how one should carry, what one should carry, when one should carry, how one should store a firearm, SD techniques or any other subject. Said instructor may be qualified to offer such advice by virtue of experience or additional training, but none of that comes with an Instructor's certification from the NRA.

As others have pointed out, but I will repeat: there's not a single confirmed instance of this ever happening to a civilian.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

So let me get this straight. This guy teaches a mandatory NRA gun class so folks can get their CC permit. And so far he seems to be against carrying a firearm for defensive purposes. Lets see, no shoulder holster, no nightstands, no OC. Oh, wait. I get it! No one should be able to carry a firearm but him! That's got to be it. Sounds like one arrogant, ignorant, and biased instructor. Where do they find these folks? I understand you enjoyed the class. But you have a forum to bounce questions off of folks other than the instructor.

IMO, someone like this does more to hurt the firearm owners than someone who OC.s. Arrogance is a real deterrent to folks new to firearms. So now grandma thinks she should lock up her gun instead of keeping it easily accessible in case someone tries to break into her home. Nice, real nice.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links