concerned and need advice - Page 3

concerned and need advice

This is a discussion on concerned and need advice within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RebelRabbi Who cares? Keep on carrying, you are a Sheepdog now! On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman Thats a good ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: concerned and need advice

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Who cares? Keep on carrying, you are a Sheepdog now!On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
    Thats a good read!!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi
    Who cares? Keep on carrying, you are a Sheepdog now!On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
    Quote Originally Posted by nbock951 View Post
    Thats a good read!!
    Actually, I completely disagree. Every few days in a firearms forum somewhere some gunner will post that same damned essay. I am not a "Sheep". Nor am I a "Wolf". I am certainly not a "Sheepdog".
    I don't carry my firearm to protect anyone but myself. I am not interested in risking my safety coming to the aid of other citizens who are perfectly healthy and capable of bearing arms but have decided for whatever reason not to do so. I saw a post somewhere about a college student who legally carried on his campus and said that some students actually thanked him and said they felt safer when he was there. That was the Sheepdog thing again. If I have been told something like that I'd have made it clear that my gun was for my protection and if that person wants feel safe then her or she should carry thier own firearm. Sorry, Charley. I ain't your darn bodyguard.
    If you want to be a hero, fine, be a hero. Don't think because I or anyone else happens to carry a gun we the same Walter Mitty dreams you have.

Most of the noted attention is doubtless complimentary. There are two reasons not yet mentioned.

My wife and I try to assess the type of weapon (model, caliber) in TV shows (HD is so much better for that), when at the range, and when we meet an armed officer (FL doesn't allow OC). So it may be gun envy.

Sadly, these days there may be another reason men spend extra time looking: Woman walking with child--armed. Keep an eye on them, is the child comfortable with her or could this be a kid (who is terrified of guns) being abducted?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Keep your SA on high when you are walking. And has been suggested, if possible take a friend with you. There are a lot of wacko's out there!

As for you guys trying to get the OP to post a picture of herself, give it a rest! If you don't understand the problems with the request, get some education on the issue.

If you are dying to see pictures of women with guns, there are other sites for that.

It's easy for a guy to just say, "take it as a complement". Not so easy if you are the one being gawked at.
    NRA Life Member

Stay armed...be happy they are still looking...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Actually, I completely disagree. Every few days in a firearms forum somewhere some gunner will post that same damned essay. I am not a "Sheep". Nor am I a "Wolf". I am certainly not a "Sheepdog".
    I don't carry my firearm to protect anyone but myself. I am not interested in risking my safety coming to the aid of other citizens who are perfectly healthy and capable of bearing arms but have decided for whatever reason not to do so. I saw a post somewhere about a college student who legally carried on his campus and said that some students actually thanked him and said they felt safer when he was there. That was the Sheepdog thing again. If I have been told something like that I'd have made it clear that my gun was for my protection and if that person wants feel safe then her or she should carry thier own firearm. Sorry, Charley. I ain't your darn bodyguard.
    If you want to be a hero, fine, be a hero. Don't think because I or anyone else happens to carry a gun we the same Walter Mitty dreams you have.
    My thoughts and feelings exactly.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Keep aware and stay safe.

Wait till you hit 60, I couldn't draw a gawk if I stood on my head!

Even at 67 years of age, I still look at a beautiful woman as I pass. The gun might prompt a closer look, or maybe even a wave and a thumbs up, for the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Tonight I went for my walk in the same place I had been and I dressed with blue jeans, and a white hoodie type jacket but made of material more like nylon. I carried very well concealed my husbands Ruger LCR and I still got two or three more than casual looks. I had my 6 year old son walking with me.

Maybe it's just me and I've never notice til now. Since my SA is up more, now maybe I'm just now noticing the lookers.
    Go for another walk. This time, have a friend video tape you, from a parked car..... as you approach them, and as you are going away. Have a look at the tape, and you'll see what others see. Most important, you'll see if you are in fact presenting the image that you want to present.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

"It is not enough in a situation of trust in the commonwealth, that a man means well to his country; it is not enough that in his single person he never did an evil act, but always voted according to his conscience, and even harangued against every design which he apprehended to be prejudicial to the interests of his country. This innoxious and ineffectual character, that seems formed upon a plan of apology and disculpation, falls miserably short of the mark of public duty. That duty demands and requires that what is right should not only be made known, but made prevalent; that what is evil should not only be detected, but defeated. When the public man omits to put himself in a situation of doing his duty with effect it is an omission that frustrates the purposes of his trust almost as much as if he had formally betrayed it. It is surely no very rational account of a man's life, that he has always acted right but has taken special care to act in such a manner that his endeavours could not possibly be productive of any consequence."

Edmund Burke

PinkLady,
    Im glad you carry to protect yourself and, your Family. Always watch your six and,dont worry about what others think of you OC Maybe their jealious of you. But as others have Stated, Always protect your Weapon. Especially when your around allot of poeple. When I OC, I always keep my elbow tucked tightly around my Weapon. Be Safe, Take Care!!
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Being a woman u are going to get looked at but being that ur carrying a gun u are going to get even more looks.I noticed that when I started OC'ing I was getting a lot more looks that I did before or when I am not OC'ing.I think a lot of it has to do w/the fact that ur more aware of ur surroundings now than u were before.Even so always listen to that little voice in ur head that tells u when something isn't right.If u have a bad feeling about something or someone then there is more than likely a reason & u should listen to ur little voice.

If u are going to OC then u are going to have to get use to ppl especially men looking at u more than usual.Its just a part of carrying if u are a woman.Something that I always find funny is when my SO tells me about the guys that he caught looking at me while we were out.I think that u will find that the more u OC & the longer that u OC the more comfortable u will become not only w/carrying in general but also w/the looks that ur going to get.I've been OC'ing for several years now & I still notice when guys look at me but I don't let it bother me & most of the time I just smile to myself.
    Firegoddess

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I think that I have become more aware of my surroundings too, since I started carrying. I never really noticed the looks before. I like to OC it is alot easier for me. I have done so in several stores without any problems. I think it is more accepted in the area where I live. I think anywhere, women carrying guns are more noticable to men. It seems to be the case here anyway. Thank everyone for all the responces to my post.

ME

I would pay a better look at a chick with a gun . I love a hottie and a gun. so the the two at the same time and I am in Heaven:)
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

The real question is did the gawking start when you began OCing? I suspect not and you are more sensitive since you began OCing. I (unfortunately) do not have gawking women bothering you.

Unfortunately, a lot of guys are like that. By themselves they are mostly harmless, put them in a group, toss in some alcohol and these men become nuts. I was dating a very well endowed woman. We were walking into a nice restaurant. while holding hands. Suddenly, a bus full of boys began whistling, gawking, etc. even though it was obvious we were together.

I doubt this plays a part, in the event that you shared, But openly armed women are a rare sight to see. That might actually work for you. Since so few women carry, the public may conclude that you must be in law enforcement.

It sounds as if you should carry pepper spray and a small stun gun on your walks but at all times too. Good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links