incident while OCing

This is a discussion on incident while OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there I was I just picked my child up from school. I needed to go to the bank, so I stopped by the house ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: incident while OCing

incident while OCing

So there I was I just picked my child up from school. I needed to go to the bank, so I stopped by the house to get my sig (as guns are not allowed at schools, as if we all did not know that allready lol) and grab my cash that I needed to take to the bank. My daughter asks "Dad, why do you always bring your gun with you?" My answer was "because I love you and there are bad people out there, and I want to keep you safe." she looked at me smiled and gave me that your the best dad in the world look. So we get in the car drive over to the bank, and head inside. The teller asks if my daughter can have a sucker. I said sure. Then durring my transaction with the teller, a man waiting in line looks at the guy at the next teller window, and says "She must be a handful if he has to carry a gun." (my child was standing next to me sucking on her sucker. behaiving really well at the time) We all got a laugh out of it, and my kid then says "He has it because he loves me." She is 5 years old and it was a comment that almost made me shead a tear right there in the bank. Everyone got really quiet. From that moment on, untill I held to door open for a lady entering the building, you could of herd a pin drop. People were really thinking about what she had said. On that note I think its about time that I take out the the good 'ol 22 and take her to the range. If she is starting to ask about guns, its time to start training her in there proper use.

2. Remove Ads

Do it!! Its hard enough raising a girl in this world. Nothing more intimidating to a spineless guy than a girl who knows how to use a gun!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I'll second starting her out. Just a few things to remember. As long as she is having fun, you're good. When she says it's over, just finish up and leave. You want the first few experiences to be very good ones. Not, daddy made me sit there all day while he shot his pistol. If you know what I mean. I took my 5yr old daughter out earlier this year. We may have only shot 10-15 rds in a single shot rifle but she had a good time. Then we walked around in the woods for a while. Thje Cornered Cat site has some great info on kids and guns BTW.

Cornered Cat
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post! I just love hearing stories like this one. My 4 year old daughter said something similar to an @ 10 year old boy who said something to his dad about my gun a few days ago. It sure makes you feel good when such a young child "gets it", doesn't it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Now is the time. My daughter is now 8. I started taking her to shoot 22s when she was 6. She has verbalized her understanding of why I carry and has expressed her appreciation for having a daddy that protects our family. It's an awesome feeling. She respects firearms and safety and the mystery has been removed. That is no substitute for safe gun storage (gun safe, cable locks), which I use, but education is priceless.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Train her well so she's ready when she leaves the nest. It will happen much quicker than you expect.

I started with mine when she was 7 and she s getting really good at it.She is 10 now and has her own 22 neos and a 22 remington rifle.thats the one on my avatar pis...!!
    Go for it take care and be safe!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by 03ramit1 View Post
    So there I was I just picked my child up from school. I needed to go to the bank, so I stopped by the house to get my sig (as guns are not allowed at schools, as if we all did not know that allready lol) and grab my cash that I needed to take to the bank. My daughter asks "Dad, why do you always bring your gun with you?" My answer was "because I love you and there are bad people out there, and I want to keep you safe." she looked at me smiled and gave me that your the best dad in the world look. So we get in the car drive over to the bank, and head inside. The teller asks if my daughter can have a sucker. I said sure. Then durring my transaction with the teller, a man waiting in line looks at the guy at the next teller window, and says "She must be a handful if he has to carry a gun." (my child was standing next to me sucking on her sucker. behaiving really well at the time) We all got a laugh out of it, and my kid then says "He has it because he loves me." She is 5 years old and it was a comment that almost made me shead a tear right there in the bank. Everyone got really quiet. From that moment on, untill I held to door open for a lady entering the building, you could of herd a pin drop. People were really thinking about what she had said. On that note I think its about time that I take out the the good 'ol 22 and take her to the range. If she is starting to ask about guns, its time to start training her in there proper use.

Buy that girl a pony!

@ Aimhigh

Sorry to jump off topic, but are those Berretta Neos pretty good guns? My girlfriend is wanting a plinking .22 and really likes it.
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

EBC
    Quote Originally Posted by cass8171 View Post
    Sorry to jump off topic, but are those Berretta Neos pretty good guns? My girlfriend is wanting a plinking .22 and really likes it.
    If She likes it. Buy it for her. get her started ASAP it may help you out on the fights for the guns you want later.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Yes I like the idea of starting her out now....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

thanks for the comments guys. as far as making sure her first time is enjoyable. it would be just the 2 of us, and a ruger 10/22 (mine has the youth stock on it) i would sit with her and let her shoot it untill she was ready to leave. i would show her how to use it, and teach her about muzzle awareness. looks like it will be here in about 2 weeks as im busy untill then.

I was the one that was OCing at the time, and i prefer the CC way too. but in the summer here in AZ i would rather open carry than have my gun printing under my shirt. I wear shirts that bairly come down to my beltline, and the most comfortable holster i could find (just an excuse really as i have not looked all that hard) is a outside the pants holster and i cannot hide it too well with just shorts and a tee shirt on. i really need to order up a el paso saddlery holster that i used to use with a glock. i loved that holster. theni sould be able to CC itall the time year round and still carry a full size gun, and keep the ruger LCP in my back pocket for backup.

great story.OC at a bank
    Where I live (Ohio) OC is legal but not tolerated. I cannot even CC in the banks here

I can't wait to take my daughters to the range. They are 11 and 7. Hope it's not already too late for the 11 yr old...

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    great story.OC at a bank
    Where I live (Ohio) OC is legal but not tolerated. I cannot even CC in the banks here
    Are you sure about that? I dont see it in 2923.126

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links