Strange question about OC and appearance - Page 2

Strange question about OC and appearance

This is a discussion on Strange question about OC and appearance within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Depends on what kind of ink you got. I've got some myself (none visible unless I want it to be) so that wouldn't be of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Depends on what kind of ink you got. I've got some myself (none visible unless I want it to be) so that wouldn't be of concern to me. Your demeanor and how you carry yourself would be of more concern to me personally. I will say though that you'll probably get hassled a lot more than a middle-aged white person would, but I'm sure being a minority in this country you're accustomed to that (as sad as it is).

I don't quite agree with the people saying you should try and dress nicer. I do agree that anyone who OC's is an ambassador for the cause, and for that very reason I feel you should dress how you normally do. The more people realize that gun owners come in every shape, size, color and generation the more quickly it will be adopted.

Of course this is just my opinion, I mostly CC myself now that I no longer live in VT. I've been the "man with a gun" a couple times myself, and I gotta say it's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
    I don't quite agree with the people saying you should try and dress nicer. I do agree that anyone who OC's is an ambassador for the cause, and for that very reason I feel you should dress how you normally do. The more people realize that gun owners come in every shape, size, color and generation the more quickly it will be adopted.

Wow thanks for all of your opinions. To add a little more to the subject I asked people I work with what they thought when they first saw me. Basically they said even though having tattoos and a piercing they saw me as very shy and to myself. I always wave and say hello to strangers but that's as far as I go socially. People older than me always get the utmost respect as that was how I was brought up. I was told I'm very polite and make it known I don't look for any confrontation whatsoever. By the way my ink is all non offensive and have no demonic or evil look to them just simple things that occasionally start up conversation. My tattoos all have meaning and usually a pretty deep one especially the ones exposed and people love hearing the stories.
    -XD45 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck
    -Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis

Forgot to add. All your responses are great. As you all know there's no wrong or right answer to this it's all opinion. It's just people who look like me don't really fall into the "gun guy" category that's why I asked. Never has it been addresed before or mentioned in any forum or with my "gun guy" friends.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I am really surprised at a couple of responses...

"Well, I would watch you like a hawk and be ready to to action at the drop of a hat."

Maddyfish

"In my party, we were both enjoying our breakfast, but were also well prepared to draw on him "when" he went for his."

EdWilson

Geez...just because you don't like the way a guy looks...you are ready to "draw" on him or "take action" against him???

Maybe you need to re-assess why you carry a firearm!!!
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I am really surprised at a couple of responses...

"Well, I would watch you like a hawk and be ready to to action at the drop of a hat."

Maddyfish

"In my party, we were both enjoying our breakfast, but were also well prepared to draw on him "when" he went for his."

EdWilson

Geez...just because you don't like the way a guy looks...you are ready to "draw" on him or "take action" against him???

Maybe you need to re-assess why you carry a firearm!!!
    +10

I also live in Las Vegas, and i really dont think that you would have any problems as long as you dont head down to the Strip. They are not cool at all with OC on the strip.

I normally CC but will OC from time to time and it all seems to be about how you carry your self. I am generally polite, I dont avoid eye contact and meet others with a nod and i smile and i have never had a problem.

Be confidant when you OC and project a positive outlook and you shouldnt have any problems.

Okay. Now another question. Would open carry with another person (my girlfriend and I) settle down the general threat in peoples heads? She has NO visible tattoos, NO visible piercings, dresses casually and, not to make a racial thread, is white. She, like me, is very polite and very soft spoken. Only downside is that even though she is 22 she ALSO looks very young. Maybe 18. Due to her short height and petite build. She will be carryig her glock 26. BTW this thread is awesome. It's answering all the questions I've had about open carry.

its hard to answer for others but i would have no problem with it. I am in my mid 30's and white normally dress in shirt and tie so we probably look like we are from two different worlds but you can generally get a feel for someone really quick by how they carry themseves. I dont think that the color of the skin, of type of dress should matter that much, its more about the demeanor.

would you by chance shop at discount firearms? I had the same discussion with a guy there last week.

Well I usually go to New frontier armory as I consider everyone there friends but the other shops I've been to where I had to take out my lip ring to be taken seriously will not be named in this thread. They do really great business at other shops and I don't want to bad mouth anyone and honestly I don't blame them for their actions. That's just how people are in this world and if that's how it's going to be then so be it.

Never been to New Frontier, I'll have to check them out. There are some real special people at our local gun shops. Like you I won't name names but Vegas is small enough that word travels fast. When I hear of a good shop I try to spend my money to support the "good guys"

There is quite a lot to be said for appearance, but...

It is your right as a citizen of this country to OC (well, depends on the state)

Will you get looks and strange questions? Hassled by the police? Avoided in stores and hear whispers in your wake?

Yeah, probably.

But as long as you meet the legal requirements, you are legal! Amazing how that works, huh?

Go for it. I have tattoos, a shaved head, and I'm white. No piercings, but I have been mistaken for a supremacist in the past. Some people don't need extra reasons to be jerks...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

It's not the way you look... It's what you do.

In this day and age, people need to get used to seeing people with ink, piercings and Mohawks. That's the way of the times and it shouldn't reflect on what kind of person who sports that look really is like.

I tend to profile behavior and not how people dress. I'm too busy looking for pre-assault cues, body language and such than trying to figure out what you got in your lip.

Now, if you go around sticking people up with your gat or snatching old ladies purses, all you do is make it easier to identify you. But it's the person that did the deed, not the ink, piercings or haircut. I saw a preppy looking fool snatch a woman's purse once as she came out of the bank. Polo shirt and chino's wearing red and black Air Nike's. So, go figure.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    i am young (under 30) and i look younger. i am part mexican. i dont have any visible tattoo's, but i dress exactly how i want to dress which usually includes your usual array of punk rock apparel. occasionally i sport the hawk. i have a safety pin in my ear. and i open carry everywhere i go (yes, even the bank). .

I'm just curious but since I noticed you were from Ft Myers, FL. Have you had any issues with open carry? I was under the impression that OC was illegal in Florida with a few exceptions such as
    home or work; hunting, fishing, camping; at the range. I may be wrong however and as I said, just curious as to any legal issues that you had due to OC. Thanks
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    kabayan, itago mo na lang ang baril mo! marami pang walang alam sa batas. mahihirapan ka lang.
    LOL, I put this into google translator (filipino to english) and it returned: "Joke, you just keep your gun! much more without knowing the law. You only pole."

Somehow, I think something was lost in translation, especially toward the end :)
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links