Strange question about OC and appearance

This is a discussion on Strange question about OC and appearance within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I did it everyone...Wal Mart open carry walkaround....I did take some advice...take off the lip ring...nice shirt and jeans...and the result was....nothing happened (which ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Strange question about OC and appearance

Thumbs up

Well I did it everyone...Wal Mart open carry walkaround....I did take some advice...take off the lip ring...nice shirt and jeans...and the result was....nothing happened (which is how I like it) Got some looks but nothing else really. Kind of useless walking around walmart at 3am (I work late at the airport here) but the customers that were around thought nothing of it. Thank you all for your advice and opinions...
    -XD45 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck
    -Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OneBad135i View Post
    Forgot to add. All your responses are great. As you all know there's no wrong or right answer to this it's all opinion. It's just people who look like me don't really fall into the "gun guy" category that's why I asked. Never has it been addresed before or mentioned in any forum or with my "gun guy" friends.
    If you conduct yourself in person the way you do on this forum my bet is you'd be OK outside of those who don't like OC anyway. Far less common in your area than many others. You might get a look but as many have said in other threads there is another component to appearance the way you carry yourself. Do you have that thousand yard stare, hate or rage in your eyes, have a thug attitude? Do you strut are you cocky? All those play into how you are seen. If you are respectful friendly or quiet and polite you should be fine. Not a bad thing for folks to see decent people of different cultures and sub culture OC.

After all OCing should be like cars. People see all kinds of people get in and operate 2 ton weapons of mass destruction without freaking out. As more and more people of different backgrounds OC, people will become more accustomed to it. So welcome aboard relax enjoy your life don't sweat the haters
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by OneBad135i View Post
    as I hate making people around me uncomfortable. Sadly I do take out my lip piercing when I go to gun shops in town where employees don't know me just so i can be taken seriously and get some assistance in the store.
    You said an awful lot right there. Why not get rid of the lip ring and be taken seriously at other times and by most everyone Keep your firearm concealed, no big deal. Just because you have the right to OC does not mean it is necessary to stampede the sheep.
    JMO
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Since you can carry concealed what is the point of open carry and the occasional heat you may take for doing so? I have the option to open carry, but with my CPL I see no need to.
    Join the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    When you OC you are essentially an ambassador/advertiser for every gunowner in the US. Your results of OC'ing essentially affects all of us. OC seems to making progress, so I'd be mindful to help it go in that direction.
    That is a common argument ppk.......... but one that if thought out completely does not fly.....

"When you (speak in public) you are essentially an ambassador/advertiser for every (talker) in the US."

"When you (drive in public) you are essentially an ambassador/advertiser for every (driver) in the US."

"When you (vote in public) you are essentially an ambassador/advertiser for every (voter) in the US."

"When you (pray in public) you are essentially an ambassador/advertiser for every (one who prays in public) in the US."
    Last edited by Axeanda45; April 25th, 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: clarity

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    There are very few benefits in getting older, as best I can tell. But one of the few is that you're given more credibility in the "public eye" and/or public opinion. 50 something (versus 20 something) probably means stable, predictable, less threatening, etc. In my day in the sun I had hair as long as it would grow, ripped jeans, backpack and blah blah blah. Letting my Freak Flag Fly was the term. And many folks tended to give me the hairy eyeball. I was swimmimg upstream. And there were definitely no weapons on display. That would have been terminal. I'd keep CC to exactly that, CC. As long as you've got today's version of your Freak Flag Flying....keep the rest of your business in your pocket, so to speak.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    As long as you've got today's version of your Freak Flag Flying....keep the rest of your business in your pocket, so to speak.
    Oh my, you said very well what I did not.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    It's called profiling and we all do it even if we don't realize it or admit it.
    I don't consider it shameful, it's a survival instinct. When you're out in public you don't have an opportunity to get to know all of the characters that you come across, you have a few seconds to size someone up based on their looks and demeanor.
    If I'm in line at the bank and there is an OC guy that looks like an off duty cop and another OC guy that looks like one of the evil dudes in a Mad Max movie, guess which one I'm gonna be eye balling.

It's kind of funny that some people dress a certain way to stand out from the crowd but then they get mad when they catch people looking at them or whispering.
    I remember many years ago, my older sister (as a teen) was in my dad's real estate office when a young fella came in. He was trying to find a place to live.

My dad also worked as a detention officer, and knew the fella.

He was clean cut, and looked very respectable.

My sister commented that he was "cute", and dad told her "Yeah, maybe, but he's on trial for murder. He killed his girlfriend." I believe he was found guilty, too.

In the scenario you describe (two fellas open carrying at a bank), I'd be more concerned about someone in line in baggy, banger type clothing and no gun visible. I've had days when I stopped by a bank after a hard day's work, and probably looked "less than respectable". That doesn't mean I'm any less than the law abiding person I am.

Yes, I may profile, but it won't be based on how someone carried a firearm. Like I said before, it's the one you DON'T see that might be of concern.

I don't worry one bit about open carriers.

Daryl

not to be racial or against tatoos, however i would be suspicious and cautious of you at least till i heard you talk or something.

I try to make sure to dress sharply, use sir, ma'am, please and thank you...I'm sure there will be some people who still recoil at the sight of the gun. What you have to remember is it's not YOU they're scared of. I do agree, however that appearance sometimes makes the man. Sad, but true.

I truly hope your OC goes well, and I am in your corner.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody respects the gun."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links