Strange question about OC and appearance

This is a discussion on Strange question about OC and appearance within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, its kind of late here in Vegas right now (about 5am) and I just got to thinking. I've been CC'ing for a couple months ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange question about OC and appearance

Strange question about OC and appearance

So, its kind of late here in Vegas right now (about 5am) and I just got to thinking. I've been CC'ing for a couple months now and have been thinking about an occasional open carry. Here's my issue. Me being a fairly young Filipino male at 23 years old and having some exposed tattoos and a lip piercing, not to mention I actually look even younger than I really am how would YOUR reaction be if you were to see me OC? I do, however, dress very casually (nothing flashy or "gangster") Usually I wear just a T-shirt, either plain or very minimal design, a pair of jeans and either boots or skater shoes. I have a shaved head if that means anything. Would you look at me as some "punk kid" who is just trying to be cool? Or could I be taken seriously and not a liability? just curious as i would rather not OC if I will deal with the hassle of people thinking I am more of a public nuisance and being asked to leave everywhere I go. Thank you for your input

-Mervin
    -XD45 Service in a Crossbreed Supertuck
    -Ruger LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not saying it is right, but when you put your age, tattoo's, piercing and shaved head together, your probably going to be in for some hassles.

As for me personally. Having spent 24 years in the military, being around all different age groups, nationalities and social/economic backgrounds it wouldn't matter to me. I will admit I would probably keep a closer eye on you until I felt you weren't a threat, but I wouldn't cause a hassle over it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Appearance and perception goes hand in hand. Like it or not, most have the tendency to "judge a book by its cover". So yes, and there is a formula here.......APPEARANCE + BEHAVIOR + FIREARM = ?????? IMHO much of the answer to this formula depends on how you handle those three words above.

When you OC you are essentially an ambassador/advertiser for every gunowner in the US. Your results of OC'ing essentially affects all of us. OC seems to making progress, so I'd be mindful to help it go in that direction.

Don't feed the anti-gun crowd.

Good luck
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well when it comes to behavior I try to be as polite as possible as I hate making people around me uncomfortable. Sadly I do take out my lip piercing when I go to gun shops in town where employees don't know me just so i can be taken seriously and get some assistance in the store.

kabayan, itago mo na lang ang baril mo! marami pang walang alam sa batas. mahihirapan ka lang.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

lol cant spell in tagalog but I know what you mean...thanks everyone for your input so far

Right, wrong, or indifferent human nature is to form initial impressions based on what we see. Our sensory perception is how information gets to our brain and we evaluate what we encounter. It's not a profiling thing, it's what people do with any given situation (Situational Awareness).

If you're asking the question, then you realize that your appearance will likely contribute to some questionable perceptions and grief. In reality, you may be a very nice fellow and the guy in the snazzy suit may be the badest guy around. You can't really tell the good folks and bad folks by looking at them. That's how Ted Bundy lulled his victims in...he was a well dressed GQ looking clean cut well spoken educated guy. No one would have guessed he was a serial killer. Some BGs don't readily advertise their bad intentions...they hide behind otherwise average appearance.

In reality, if you want to be taken seriously, then work towards making a first impression that helps you in that effort. You've already done that at times by removing the piercing. If you don't care what other people think, then express your individuality in whatever way you want and be prepared to deal with some assumptions by others. Good luck with whichever path you choose.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's definitely not right, but most people would see you negatively based on the look. That said, I shave my head also, but it hasn't been any problem when I do open carry. Of course, I'm a slightly overweight white male in my mid 60s. I usually wear polo shorts and dark colored jeans. Why the shaved head, for me? Well, most of it was gone anyhow, so I decided to shave off the rest instead of paying some barber 10 to 20 dollars to trim the little I had left. Besides, it looks cool at Scottish festivals when I wear my kilt.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If I were you, if you decide to OC I would upgrade your apparel a step. I might go with a collared shirt with your jeans and make sure the jeans fit well. That alone might save you a lot of heartache. Be polite to everyone you meet and my guess is that you will be fine.

People can be quick to judge, so be careful out there. I find that a friendly attitude and nice dress usually keeps me out of trouble when I OC, but as a mea culpa I am a thirtysomething white guy too...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The thing is, your appearance is EVERYTHING.

Take Steve Martin, for example. He went to his first audition for being a comedian and was rejected. At the time he had long hair, wore tie-dyed clothes, and looked as ratty as everyone else in the late 60's.

He took a long hard look at himself, got an establishment haircut, wore a SUIT (for heavens sake) to his next gig appointment and got hired immediately. Same schtick, same routine, same everything except his appearance. He's been successful ever since.

Like I said, appearance is everything. If you think that you're not going to get a good welcome because your appearance is a bit "anti-establishment" then guess what...you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBad135i View Post
    would YOUR reaction be if you were to see me OC
    -Mervin
    Well, I would watch you like a hawk and be ready to to action at the drop of a hat. Sorry. I hate to say that. My best friend is black, and he CCs. And honestly, he would say the same thing.
    But in my area, there are very, very few people of color. Here, if a person of any color has a gun, he is likely here for trouble. I wish that wasn't the way it was.

I think you've gotten a lot of realistic answers to far. What no one's mentioned is that people you meet will rarely change their minds about you once you start talking: so even if you're nice and polite, it usually won't change the snap judgement they made within the first few second of seeing you.

The most powerful thing you can control about how you appear, and hence the assumptions people make, is how you dress.

PS: I've got some Filipino friends, and they say it sucks to look so much younger then their ages. That's going to continue to work against you for a few years. Sorry.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Appearance

Regarding your question of appearance, I doubt very much whether anyone will react to your being Philippino; however, your age and dress definitely would. FYI, I too live in LV, and recently saw a young man at a restaurant sporting many tattoos and piercings, as well as a plainly visible chrome revolver (open carry). It appeared to be in the conversations of many of the folk there having breakfast. In my party, we were both enjoying our breakfast, but were also well prepared to draw on him "when" he went for his. Of course, he never did, but it caused needless alarm. I believe he was open-carrying as a sign of bravado (ah, he was rather short in stature), and I doubt he would have been effective had he found himself in a situation where he needed the gun in the first place.

i am young (under 30) and i look younger. i am part mexican. i dont have any visible tattoo's, but i dress exactly how i want to dress which usually includes your usual array of punk rock apparel. occasionally i sport the hawk. i have a safety pin in my ear. and i open carry everywhere i go (yes, even the bank). i have never had anyone treat me differently, question me, or give me a hard time. and when that day comes - because i'm sure it will - i wont sweat it.

people care way too much about their image and how other people will react to them. i could care less about whether i am presenting one image or another, with or without a gun on my hip.

just because you are young, non white and have tattoos doesn't mean you should feel bad about OC. its your right, and you should do it however you want to. if someone doesnt like it, let them lose sleep over it, not you man. you have nothing to hide or apologize for.

if i were to see you with all your piercings, tattoos and whatever, i might think to myself "aw this guy might be bad news", or i might not, but what difference should it make to you? personally, if i see anyone OC'ing, i pretty much automatically assume that they are not a threat to me, regardless of what they look like. OC'ers in general are not anything to be afraid of.

I myself would be more cautious, perhaps because I wouldn't you and what your intentions may be. Respectful and courteous, perhaps? But, hey, to each his own and I don't judge a book by it's cover. It's what makes you feel comfortable with or without people around.
    I personally won't OC, element of surprise can be most critical one day, but rather hopefully not.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links