Open carry in ct?????

This is a discussion on Open carry in ct????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BTW, this is rather interesting reading, considering some of the comments made so far. STATE OF CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY 1l1l Country Club Road ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in ct?????

BTW, this is rather interesting reading, considering some of the comments made so far.

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

1l1l Country Club Road

Middletown. CT 06457

2nd Amendment Rally, State Capitol

April 10' 2010

A rally in support of the 2nd Amendment is currently scheduled for April 10, 2010 at 1300 hours on the north lawn of the State capitol. While the capitol building and grounds are

under the jurisdiction of the State Capitol Police, there is the possibility that State Police personnel maybe asked to assist the Capitol Police, or may have occasion to observe and/or come into contact with individuals who are carrying firearms, either openly or concealed. In light of this scheduled event, specific guidance concerning law enforcement matters related to firearms at this event follows:

State Police personnel should not arrest a properly permitted individual merely for publicly carrying a handgun in plain view.

State Police personnel should not arrest individuals merely for publicly carrying a firearm other than a handgun in plain view Exceptions to the general guidance stated above include, but are not limited to:

It is prohibited for private citizens to possess firearms inside the State Capitol or Legislative Office Building (Conn. Gen' Stat. 2-1e).

It is prohibited for private citizens to possess firearms in any Hartford city park (Hartford Municipal Code Article II, Sec. 26-39). Violations should be brought to the attention of Hartford Police for the appropriate enforcement action.

State Police personnel should not request individuals to produce their pistol permits unless such individual has become the subject of a law enforcement investigative inquiry for another reason.

Whether or not probable cause exists to support an arrest depends upon the totality of the circumstances known to the Trooper at the time. Particular attention should be paid to those facts and circumstances which support an inference that an individual to be arrested intended or recklessly created reasonable risk of danger or alarm. Troopers should be careful to document all of the facts and circumstances which justify any arrest which is made. As with all law enforcement action taken by State Police personnel, the safety of both the officer and the general public is of paramount concern.

With those principles in mind, and with specific regard to matters involving firearms, State Police personnel should ensure that they strictly follow State Police policies and procedures.

An Equal Opportunity Employer

Emphasis is mine.

Based on the two emphasized statements, it would appear the situation regarding OC in Connecticut is not quite as dire (or cut and dried) as some people believe it is.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Did you know that Connecticut did not ratify the Bill of Rights until 19 April 1939 - 147 years after it went into effect?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

ok where did you find that info. I may have to cal my local PD, Troop and ADA.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

VIP Member
    Welcome to the CCDL

Everyone in CT should join the CCDL. They are looking at all the laws and going to Hartford to fight for all gun owners across the State.

Check out the site, free to join and a meeting the second Tuesday of every month. We are all in it together.

This is actually pretty funny having just moved from there. Youz guyz in CT... Been 'round and 'round on this one when I, unfortunately, lived in that toilet. Go ahead...keep pushing this open carry thing... Keep on it... You just might go the way of CA where it looks like they might just very well BAN OPEN CARRY altogether. I kept telling you guys that this may very well cause the pendulum to swing in the direction you do NOT want. You want a definitive decision/law on open carry in CT? FINE...they'll make it easy for ya up there in Hartford... ILLEGAL under all circumstances. Clear enough? Watch CA...that's where they are headed with all this "in yo face 'cuz I can" BS.

Like someone else said regarding CA... Open Carry is "technically allowed" because it's not expressly banned...YET... They just never got around to doing it because they didn't think about it. It wasn't a forefront issue then, but now? Again...keep pushing...

For all the people claiming OC is legal in CT. Yeah, maybe...right... TRY it in downtown New Haven, Bridgeport, New London, Hartford, etc. I DARE YOU. And, post pictures, links to videos, etc of you doing it with easily identifiable PUBLIC landmarks instead of stuff where y'all go off and hide in the corner of some park, have a picnic then claim, "Yay! We all open carried and no one bothered us!". Yeah...that's rich... Funny, though... I asked several times when I lived there but no one EVER posted TRUE public open carry evidence despite several saying they would and "how they do it all the time". I lived in CT for almost 5 years and have been all over the state. Not hard when it's the size of a postage stamp... Spent LOTS of time in the rural areas up north, especially around Litchfield. Never ONCE saw an open carrier and, believe me, I was looking. Hmmm...

Good luck in a state where it is a Class D FELONY simply to have a handgun in your car...unloaded with NO ammo anywhere around...detail stripped and locked up in the trunk...just to go paper shooting at the range...without the State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. The law states, "Regardless of Condition", when referring to the state of the handgun being transported, so that could mean assembled, field/detail stripped...whatever...doesn't matter. Yes, you actually MUST have the state permit in CT or risk two felonies (illegal possession AND transportation of a handgun) just to go target shooting... Have fun getting OC defined in legislature as the "law of the land" with that mess...

DCR
    Targus,
    When did you move out of Connecticut? A lot has changed over the past few years. I do believe that Arizona just passed constitutional right to carry? I bet that didn't happen while people sat and did nothing. When you sit and do nothing....The government tries to take your rights.

The law says you can't transport a pistol without a pistol permit. It's pretty clear, cut, and dry. If you dont' agree with that law you have to try and get it changed. It's also pretty clear that it is not illegal to carry openly, to 'print', or for someone to see your pistol.

There's allways some politician trying to pass laws that take away our rights. Are you suggesting we just sit back and do nothing? Live with being illegally arrested and having our pistol permits stolen from us because the people who have sworn to uphold the law don't even know the law? I will not.

They don't need to define open carry. They just need to recognize and follow the laws that are written. You can't make up laws just because you don't agree with something. And that is what has been happening here it Connecticut up until the Goldberg incident.

Dave

P.S.
    I could have swore I read they tried to ban open carry recently but it didn't pass. I can't for the life of me find the link now.

You seem pretty peeved about some silly laws here in ct. Check out what the Arizona Defense League has done in your state. Consider joining and helping them make sure none of this nonsence makes it's way down there.

http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html

Targus left about a month ago. He was kicked off at least three gun forums that I know of, and it looks he's been kicked off this one, too. You may remember him from CT Gun Talk as scotth.

I could have swore I read they tried to ban open carry recently but it didn't pass. I can't for the life of me find the link now.
    The CSP tried to float a bill doing this, and several other things, but it never made it to committee. After the memo regarding carrying at the rally last week, it would appear that someone finally slapped them down and is forcing them to follow the statutes as the actually exist, not as the SP Commissioner wishes they read.

Be that as it may...

I still went to court this morning for a client who got slapped with threatening and breach of peace because someone saw his gun.

Take it for what it's worth, but if you intend to open carry, be prepared to fight in the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Be that as it may...

I still went to court this morning for a client who got slapped with threatening and breach of peace because someone saw his gun.

Take it for what it's worth, but if you intend to open carry, be prepared to fight in the aftermath.
    When and where?

Be that as it may...

Sounds like you're a lawyer....so maybe you can answer this question.

I just read the statutes for Creating a Public Disturbance, Breach of Peace, and Threatening.

How does OC fall into any of those?....they all require intent.

Be that as it may...

Yes please get in touch with CCDL for help on this. Us gun owners need to step up and help each other.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***CCDL member***

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Sounds like you're a lawyer....so maybe you can answer this question.

I just read the statutes for Creating a Public Disturbance, Breach of Peace, and Threatening.

How does OC fall into any of those?....they all require intent.
    Intent can be inferred by actions in the situation.

Open carrying changes the social dynamic. Like it or not, it does.

If the situation is stressful and someone takes off the jacket and look...their is a 1911...

Well. Maybe you just took it off because you were sweating due to the humidity...but you just made me sweat now too. You breached my peace and made me feel intimidated.

Knowingly and intentionally...we'll deal with that in court.

At the moment..."Sir, please put your hands behind your back..."

Counsellor, you are ignoring the question.

Once again, when did the event you are referring to happen and where?

Additional question, were were the circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post

he May be waiting to talk to his Client before he gives out any of that info. That and he may be talking to CCDL at some point in time as set by him. We have to remember that he has to follow the rules with attorney/client privilege.

We would like to help him and his client but his client has to want the help.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***CCDL member***

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post

Actually, I didn't have enough coffee in me, so I didn't see your post.

But as to specifics...sorry. Not till the incident is disposed of...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links