Open carry in ct?????

This is a discussion on Open carry in ct????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT Intent can be inferred by actions in the situation. Open carrying changes the social dynamic. Like it or not, it does. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in ct?????

DCR
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Intent can be inferred by actions in the situation.

Open carrying changes the social dynamic. Like it or not, it does.

If the situation is stressful and someone takes off the jacket and look...their is a 1911...

Well. Maybe you just took it off because you were sweating due to the humidity...but you just made me sweat now too. You breached my peace and made me feel intimidated.

Knowingly and intentionally...we'll deal with that in court.

At the moment..."Sir, please put your hands behind your back..."
    Of course taking your jacket off in an allready stressful situation (i'm assuming an argument or other version of an altercation) revealing your pistol could be seen or taken as a threat. And that's not what is being talked about here. What if I took my jacket off, walked out a door, got out of my car, or any other normal everyday occurance and someone saw me with a holstered gun. Do you see that as the same? There is a difference. In one i can articulate how I felt threatened. In the other I can not.

This brings up a good reason not to get into any type of altercation or argument with anyone while you are carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Of course taking your jacket off in an allready stressful situation (i'm assuming an argument or other version of an altercation) revealing your pistol could be seen or taken as a threat. And that's not what is being talked about here. What if I took my jacket off, walked out a door, got out of my car, or any other normal everyday occurance and someone saw me with a holstered gun. Do you see that as the same? There is a difference. In one i can articulate how I felt threatened. In the other I can not.

This brings up a good reason not to get into any type of altercation or argument with anyone while you are carrying.
    What you or I see as different is not the issue here.

The issue is that if someone calls the police because they see the gun and tell the police they felt uneasy about it, that's a possible breach of peace charge.

You can argue about it in court. Then you can deal with the Firearms Unit revocation desk. They are nice people...really.

Don't like it...well, neither do I. But, arguing here doesn't change the fact that it is how it is.

Actually, I didn't have enough coffee in me, so I didn't see your post.

But as to specifics...sorry. Not till the incident is disposed of...
    I under stand not wanting to talk about your clients case till it is disposed of. I am just saying that talking to people like CCDL could help your client. and No I am not saying talk about in an open forum. But a closed door meeting may be a good idea. Heck you don't even need to give specifics info out for them to be able to help.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

DCR
    What you or I see as different is not the issue here.

The issue is that if someone calls the police because they see the gun and tell the police they felt uneasy about it, that's a possible breach of peace charge.

You can argue about it in court. Then you can deal with the Firearms Unit revocation desk. They are nice people...really.

Don't like it...well, neither do I. But, arguing here doesn't change the fact that it is how it is.
    I'm not arguing. I appologize if it seemed that way.

I was merely pointing out the difference in what you said about a 'stressful situation' and someone just walking down the street minding their own business.

Actually, I didn't have enough coffee in me, so I didn't see your post.

But as to specifics...sorry. Not till the incident is disposed of...
    Are date and location privileged?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    I'm not arguing. I appologize if it seemed that way.

I was merely pointing out the difference in what you said about a 'stressful situation' and someone just walking down the street minding their own business.
    That was my thinking too. What if I'm walking down the street and I feel uneasy about what that guy's shirt says....or I feel threatened by that "biker guy" walking down the street towards me??? Without an overt act....just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I would say yes for now. That would give you the ability to find out more about that case. I am just pushing MitchellCT to look in to help from other locations. I know that I when I got in to trouble almost a year ago I wished I had the help and support that I have found here. It would have made dealing with it at the time much easyer. My problem has been worked out for the most part. and is said and done with. thanks to a good friends like MitchellCT
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    That was my thinking too. What if I'm walking down the street and I feel uneasy about what that guy's shirt says....or I feel threatened by that "biker guy" walking down the street towards me??? Without an overt act....just saying...
    If the cops or their superiors did not like what the individual had on his shirt or did not like his skin color they would come to your assistance. They would use your fear as an excuse to harass him. I have had police tell me that I needed to leave a place before not because I was doing anything illegal but because they did not want to be bothered with people calling to report me.

If they agreed with what you had on your shirt and it was legal their
    response will probably be much different than it would be if they disagreed with it.

Michael

Regardless if they are or are not, I chose not to disclose the information.

I'm sorry if you aren't happy with that, but at this time, that's my answer.

Regardless if they are or are not, I chose not to disclose the information.

I'm sorry if you aren't happy with that, but at this time, that's my answer.
    Understood and not unhappy with you at all.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Westfarms Mall arrest

I wonder if this is the incident he is referring to?
    Man Charged With Threatening Westfarms Clerks With Gun - Courant.com

Quote Originally Posted by lenf45 View Post
    I wonder if this is the incident he is referring to?
    Man Charged With Threatening Westfarms Clerks With Gun - Courant.com
    That was my guess.

Nope...

But if anyone knows him, I'm willing to travel...

I may be a new member to this site, however I am not new to the Ct permit to carry handgun/pistol card that I have in my wallet. I have held said permit since 1985. I have been reading through some of the posts and really don't know what to think about Mitchell. Referring to post#5, I don't think the courts would entertain a charge of "threatening" if someone walks into a store or down the street with a holstered firearm...key word -HOLSTERED-. Can you tell me how that constitutes threatening? I'd like you to comment for me on:
    Ref:CGS 53a-181 Breach of peace (misdemeanor)
    Ref:CGS 53a-181a Public Disturbance(infraction)
    Ref:CGS53a-182 Disorderly conduct (misdemeanor)
    and tell me please why these would "stick" in court if my firearm stayed holstered. Please clarify. I mean no disrespect for your line of work, maybe it's the way I read yours posts, but you sound as if you are anti-2nd Amendment. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctclassic View Post
    I may be a new member to this site, however I am not new to the Ct permit to carry handgun/pistol card that I have in my wallet. I have held said permit since 1985. I have been reading through some of the posts and really don't know what to think about Mitchell. Referring to post#5, I don't think the courts would entertain a charge of "threatening" if someone walks into a store or down the street with a holstered firearm...key word -HOLSTERED-. Can you tell me how that constitutes threatening? I'd like you to comment for me on:
    Ref:CGS 53a-181 Breach of peace (misdemeanor)
    Ref:CGS 53a-181a Public Disturbance(infraction)
    Ref:CGS53a-182 Disorderly conduct (misdemeanor)
    and tell me please why these would "stick" in court if my firearm stayed holstered. Please clarify. I mean no disrespect for your line of work, maybe it's the way I read yours posts, but you sound as if you are anti-2nd Amendment. Thanks
    #1 I'm not anti-rkba. What I am is a crisp, refreshing blast of much needed reality.

Merely because YOU are comfortable with seeing people carrying firearms, doesn't mean someone taking the kids out to get a slushie is OK with it.

If someone else's peace is breached, or the police believe you have caused a ruckuss by appearing in B&N with a pistol, they will act.

That's how the police get called, how permits get revoked and how you end up in court with printouts from the board of firearm permit examiners website telling a prosecutor "I didn't do anything wrong" and he says "Look, do you want to plead not guilty and get a lawyer, or resolve this today with a fine?"

#2 The charges sticking isn't the issue. Most of these cases are disposed of in conference. It's the revocation of permits that's the issue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links