Open carry in ct?????

This is a discussion on Open carry in ct????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got this from CCDL in an e-mail and thought I would pass it on. Support Is Growing For Openly Carrying Permitted Weapons - ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: Open carry in ct?????

  1. #1
    Member Array EBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norwich, CT
    Posts
    94

    Open carry in ct?????

    Well I got this from CCDL in an e-mail and thought I would pass it on.

    Support Is Growing For Openly Carrying Permitted Weapons - Courant.com

    What do you think????
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array mrjam2jab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    427
    It's perfectly legal...so if you're inclined go ahead and do it. I know there are those who think you should always go concealed..but sometimes its just easier not to worry about it.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    I think if you intend to do it, PM me so I can clear space on my court appearance list, and we can talk about how much it will cost to represent you.

    CT, both in local PD's and the State Police Firearm Unit have no sense of humor when it comes to open carry here.

    Is it illegal? No.

    But you will have a fight over it, and they will try to screw you royal.

  5. #4
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,332
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I think if you intend to do it, PM me so I can clear space on my court appearance list, and we can talk about how much it will cost to represent you.

    CT, both in local PD's and the State Police Firearm Unit have no sense of humor when it comes to open carry here.

    Is it illegal? No.

    But you will have a fight over it, and they will try to screw you royal.
    And therein lies the rub. Last time I looked, there is nothing in the statutes or in the permit application itself which stipulates that the weapon must be carried concealed. My CT permit says "permit to carry pistols and revolvers", whereas my official permission in AZ is a "concealed weapons permit."

    If nothing else, the current flap should serve the purpose of clarifying the requirements, so the common misinterpretation of existing statutes and the "make up the rules as you go" inclination of certain LE agencies become history.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  6. #5
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    You are right...the statutes are silent on open carry v. concealed; however, the police will hit you for breach of peace, creating a public disturbance, threatening - and if you give the officer the slightest lip, an interfering charge.

    When you go to court they will offer you the use of your accelerated rehabilitation program, which is your once in a lifetime "get out of trouble" card...and they will try to dispose of the case as easily as possible for the prosecutor.

    If you want to fight it, hire a lawyer...

    Don't blame me. I didn't do it.
    I didn't start it.
    I just tell it like it is.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array tokerblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    And therein lies the rub. Last time I looked, there is nothing in the statutes or in the permit application itself which stipulates that the weapon must be carried concealed. My CT permit says "permit to carry pistols and revolvers", whereas my official permission in AZ is a "concealed weapons permit."
    - More power to the people in CT that want to test the OC/CC laws out. James Goldberg was arrested 3 years earlier when a Ruby Tuesday employee spotted a poorly concealed gun. He lost his permit for almost 2 years from that incident. There's no way I'm risking my permit.

  8. #7
    Member Array EBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norwich, CT
    Posts
    94
    lol I am Not planning to open carry just yet. I think I will wait for it to be a little more main stream. (IE: open carry legal on the books,maybe in 15 years).
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

  9. #8
    Member Array mrjam2jab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    lol I am Not planning to open carry just yet. I think I will wait for it to be a little more main stream. (IE: open carry legal on the books,maybe in 15 years).
    But laws don't say what you can do...they only tell you what you CAN'T do. As MitchellCT pointed out, the statutes don't mention OC...which makes it legal by default.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array tokerblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    But laws don't say what you can do...they only tell you what you CAN'T do. As MitchellCT pointed out, the statutes don't mention OC...which makes it legal by default.
    - You're correct, it is legal. The problem is that it's going to cost you thousands in legal fees to prove you're right. In the meantime, your carry permit will be suspended.

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - You're correct, it is legal. The problem is that it's going to cost you thousands in legal fees to prove you're right. In the meantime, your carry permit will be suspended.
    But once precedent is set doesn't it allow for a full reinstatement of licensing privileges for those that lost theirs?

    If no one is willing to risk something, nothing will ever change.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array tokerblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    But once precedent is set doesn't it allow for a full reinstatement of licensing privileges for those that lost theirs?

    If no one is willing to risk something, nothing will ever change.
    - I agree that someone would have to set the precedent in order for things to change. I'm just not the person that's willing to give up their carry privileges for a few years.

  13. #12
    Member Array mrjam2jab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I agree that someone would have to set the precedent in order for things to change. I'm just not the person that's willing to give up their carry privileges for a few years.
    Isnt that what Mr. Goldberg just did...in the above article?

    A state Superior Court judge dismissed the breach of peace charge police ultimately filed against Goldberg, forcing law enforcement experts to concede that, absent extenuating circumstances, there is nothing in Connecticut law to prohibit licensed gun owners from conducting their lives visibly armed.

  14. #13
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,332
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

    If you want to fight it, hire a lawyer...

    Don't blame me. I didn't do it.
    I didn't start it.
    I just tell it like it is.
    What this situation needs is a media maggot, er, magnet, like Wesley Horton to pursue the issue using Goldberg's case as a vehicle. Give him something to do once Ms Bysiewicz is done with him.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You are right...the statutes are silent on open carry v. concealed; however, the police will hit you for breach of peace, creating a public disturbance, threatening - and if you give the officer the slightest lip, an interfering charge.

    When you go to court they will offer you the use of your accelerated rehabilitation program, which is your once in a lifetime "get out of trouble" card...and they will try to dispose of the case as easily as possible for the prosecutor.

    If you want to fight it, hire a lawyer...

    Don't blame me. I didn't do it.
    I didn't start it.
    I just tell it like it is.
    Normally, I agree with what you post, but, the last case of this happening was the James Goldberg case of three years (plus) ago and the charges were thrown out. Unless you have knowledge of something that has never hot the papers, there hasn't been a single instance of this happening since.

    In the case last week at one of the malls, the gentleman involved WAS brandishing to a clerk.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - You're correct, it is legal. The problem is that it's going to cost you thousands in legal fees to prove you're right. In the meantime, your carry permit will be suspended.
    Hasn't happened since the Judge threw out the arrest of James Goldberg over three years ago. - not a single instance.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Funny concealed carry with an obviously OPEN carry holster I saw today...
    By targus in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
  2. Open carry inside house in a concealed carry state...
    By RogerThat in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
  3. Interesting article regarding TX open carry and campus carry
    By arawn in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
  4. open carry..open id
    By something in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: September 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM

Search tags for this page

connecticut open carry state
,
ct open carry
,
ct open carry case
,
ct open carry state
,
is connecticut a open carry state
,

is connecticut an open carry state

,

is ct an open carry state

,
open carry connecticut
,
open carry ct
,
open carry in connecticut
,

open carry in ct

,
open or concealed carry in ct
Click on a term to search for related topics.