Need some advise/computer chair quarterbacking.

This is a discussion on Need some advise/computer chair quarterbacking. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bandolero I would not have open carried. It offers almost no tactical advantage that is worth giving up the element of surprise ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advise/computer chair quarterbacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    I would not have open carried.

It offers almost no tactical advantage that is worth giving up the element of surprise for.

It has questionable strategic value.

It creates an enhanced level of tension and conflict that concealed carry does not.
    Absolutley correct. This entire situation would not have happened if you had been CCing. But since you cannot, I would choose a less than lethal option until I met the lawful requirement for CC. I am not against OC, but I question the mentality of those who have the option to CC and choose OC. No advantage whatsoever.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I have a CCP and choose to OC regularly. Personally, I feel I have a pretty stabile mentality. Since you chose to mention that. Why do folks get surprised when we talk about OC in the OC forum. Interesting.

And speaking of CC permits. I would seriously plan on getting it when you turn 21. Actually, I would take it a couple months prior to 21 and submit the paperwork right at your bday. You can do that. Here is why, the CCP makes OC even easier! Particularly in a car. No more worries about making sure the firearm is visible. Also, the purchasing of handguns is easier. Ultimately, it's your choice. There are folks who just don't want to spend the money to "ask permission from the state" to carry. More power to them. There are also situations where I would rather CC than go unarmed. Personally, I'm glad I have it. Because it give me choices for how I want to carry.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    I like the thought of having a 'safe word'. I'll bring that up with my wife.

I think you were spot on with your SA, and handling the situation. I'm curious, as the thug got closer and closer to you and the g/f, what where your thoughts about drawing? You clearly chose the route of getting the hell out of there, which is commendable. But i'm curious about your train of thoughts concerning drawing. What more would have needed to happen in your mind? How close would the thug have had to have been for you to go Defcon 1 and clear your holster?
    I wasn't close to drawing since it was busy in there. Also nobody else would have seen the situation until he or I drew, causing more problems since I would've had no witness (except the cameras. The GF didn't even see it) Didn't have a good backstop, or any, since my back was to the bread corner and the meat counter - I would have been shooting toward the grocery isles... not good. I would have put the hand on my gun first, then if he still wanted some and was inside about 12' or so, I would have shown the goods, unless I thought I could make a 'run like hell' dash, without endangering the GF even more (in this situation she's my primary concern.)

Not OCing is something I'm considering in places like this where there is a lot of attention to be drawn. CC would be much better in this situation in order to stay low-key. I think Evilmonk is right:
    When you can (21 years of age), you will probably begin to see the advantage of CC in most or unknown situations, and OC for when you are going somewhere that you feel safe in and wish to "spread the good word".
    I'm much more concerned about the walk from the front door to the car. A few months ago the GF's aunt was putting groceries in the back of her Lexus when a guy tried to push her in the trunk, at this Walmart. She pushed him back and started hollering, which drew the attention of a few guys, and made him flee. This was at about 3pm. They are getting more and more brave.

Last week there was a shooting at the Kangaroo diagonal across the street to the Walmart - two hit, non-life threatening injuries.

I'm not an OC freak like some are, and this situation proves that the circumstances are what should determine how you carry. Too bad NC trusts me to carry a pistol, I just have to let EVERYONE see it.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    And speaking of CC permits. I would seriously plan on getting it when you turn 21. Actually, I would take it a couple months prior to 21 and submit the paperwork right at your bday. You can do that. Here is why, the CCP makes OC even easier! Particularly in a car. No more worries about making sure the firearm is visible. Also, the purchasing of handguns is easier. Ultimately, it's your choice. There are folks who just don't want to spend the money to "ask permission from the state" to carry. More power to them. There are also situations where I would rather CC than go unarmed. Personally, I'm glad I have it. Because it give me choices for how I want to carry.
    I'm actually pretty fortunate in that department. My brother is the RSO at Trigger Time (Tom Bullin's range) a local range/government/corporate contractors. Also one of my best friends in high school and roommate's dad is a retired Army Sniper, AR15 gunsmith and CC instructor. They both have offered to instruct me for the course for free, which is awesome.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

It offers almost no tactical advantage that is worth giving up the element of surprise for.

It creates an enhanced level of tension and conflict that concealed carry does not.

This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    The first sentence answered his question.

To the OP, you handled yourself well. It is impossible to know what those guys where thinking or planning but you kept in public view in case they did try something. What I would have done in that situation is pretty much what you did.

"When in doubt, know your way out."
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I think it's pretty obvious that thugs who will approach an OCer would have wet themselves if you had been CCing.

No, wait, that doesn't make any sense.

How about this: Had you appeared unarmed, you would have gone unnoticed by the thugs because they only look for armed people.

Hmm... Nope, that's not right either.

I've got it: The world is a dangerous and unpredictable place with people who go around looking to hurt others for any reason or no reason at all.

1. You were situationally aware. This is CRITICAL because it gave you time to prepare mentally and physically. Would you have been this aware if that first knucklehead hadn't made you a little uncomfortable? Only you know the answer to that.

2. You presented a confident posture as the thugs continued to approach. In a populated, public area this is a potent defensive manuever.

3. Unless your girlfriend has a naturally tactical mind, or is eager to adopt one, it will be VERY difficult to get her to react inconspicuously to your warning of potential trouble. She will do the "groundhog" thing every time, straining to look around and identify this potential danger you've alerted her to. She will also then make her own assessment of the situation and, if this contradicts yours, you can expect her to dismiss your worries.

Going only by the details of your account, it seems like you did a good job of handling the situation.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I also think that you did everything right. I see the OC thing differently, if the thugs were that bold with you having a gun clearly visible - think how much bolder they might have been if they didn't see a gun.

There is one thing I would have done. You said he went to a closed register, bunched up a bag (I assume you meant a plastic shopping bag) and headed towards clothing. That tells me was planning on some shoplifting. I would have told customer service what I saw regarding the bag so security would be alerted and would watch them on CCTV monitors. After all, the cost of merchandise lost to shoplifting is added to the cost of everything we buy.

But, I can also see that you wanted to get out of there pronto!

there was anything that I could've done to avoid the situation better.
    don't go to walmart!! LOL

Wal-Mart Crime Report - Is your local Wal-Mart Safe?
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Since 2002...

261 Port Orchard
    745 Lynnwood
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Ditto to that. The use of open carry doses eliminate any advantage you have over the BG. He or she might decide they want that pretty gun you have on your hip and come after it with his gun drawn weapon.

Administrator

Angry

The OP cannot legally carry concealed since he is not yet of age.
    So his only legal choice (for now) is to carry open.

So unless you believe that he should not have the right to protect self & girlfriend with a firearm there should be no OPEN VS CONCEALED conversation in this thread since concealed carry is just not an option for him at this point in time.

So critique the scenario but, not his decision to carry OPEN.

Any more such posts will be deleted as Off Topic to this thread.

^ thank you! Sometimes all the "just conceal it" talk makes me feel like this ->

Also thank you for your responses to those who read that I couldn't conceal! And to those who said I should, I will... when I can!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Calynn what kind of holster do you have? paddle? pancake? duty? other?

I'm mainly wondering if you use a retention strap or thumb break

I had open carried my 4506 in a safari land duty holster it is pretty comfortable for such a heavy gun.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It's a Gould and Goodrich pancake style. Black leather, thumb break. I'm looking at a SERPA, but I'm not sure if I want one yet.

It's pretty heavy, but it's my first handgun, so I don't really know any better (except shooting the glocks at the range where my brother works.)

What would you have done?
    Well, for a younger fella who's starting to carry, you did fine IMO. Things happen, and when they do, we do the best we can to deal with them.

The only thing(s) I'd have done different would have been to be more obvious.

By that, I mean I'd have physically moved my wife (I'm married) behind me to protect her.

Then there would have been no question in that fellas mind that I saw him and was ready for whatever he had in mind.

I.E., When my wife asked which hamburger to pick, I might have said, "Hey fellas, I usually shoot my own meat; which one o' these would you pick if you wanted to stay healthy?"

Or, if I was in a less than humorous mood, I might have just turn towards them and said something like, "Howdy fellas! Nice day to go for a walk, isn't it?"

Or, who knows? The point is, if they've seen you, and you've seen them, then there's no reason to act like you haven't noticed them. Trying to act like you haven't noticed them only invites them by you're preference to avoid them. Confronting them willingly, politely, and without concern over their actions has always worked better than anything else for me.

Daryl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links