Need some advise/computer chair quarterbacking. - Page 3

Need some advise/computer chair quarterbacking.

This is a discussion on Need some advise/computer chair quarterbacking. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^Wise words. Thank you!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ^Wise words. Thank you!

Appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Carry4MyFam View Post
    Just my personal feelings here. I do not OC for the very reason you write about. Its not that I can't OC, its that I choose not to. I like to remove as many X factors as I can. After all my family's lives are at stake. If your carry weapon was out of sight do you think you would have had the same issues? If you did run into the same thing but had to lift your shirt to get at your weapon do you think you would feel less armed? Remove as many X factors as you can. Your SA and the decisions you make need to be your first line of defense. Just my personal feeling but wearing a sign on your hip does you nor your any good.
    Since this IS the OPEN cary forum, is it appropriate to berate the young man for making his only choice? He already pointed out he's 19 and I don't know of a place where someone under 21 can get a concealed permit. Let's give the kid a break, Sarge.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
    Well, for a younger fella who's starting to carry, you did fine IMO. Things happen, and when they do, we do the best we can to deal with them.

The only thing(s) I'd have done different would have been to be more obvious.

By that, I mean I'd have physically moved my wife (I'm married) behind me to protect her.

Then there would have been no question in that fellas mind that I saw him and was ready for whatever he had in mind.

I.E., When my wife asked which hamburger to pick, I might have said, "Hey fellas, I usually shoot my own meat; which one o' these would you pick if you wanted to stay healthy?"

Or, if I was in a less than humorous mood, I might have just turn towards them and said something like, "Howdy fellas! Nice day to go for a walk, isn't it?"

Or, who knows? The point is, if they've seen you, and you've seen them, then there's no reason to act like you haven't noticed them. Trying to act like you haven't noticed them only invites them by you're preference to avoid them. Confronting them willingly, politely, and without concern over their actions has always worked better than anything else for me.

Daryl

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    +1
    While Target, Kmart, or your local grocery store can't be considered "safe", your are increasing your odds of being involved in or witnessing something bad going down by shopping there.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I think you did a fine job. As DarylW said you coulda been a bit more assertive in your posturing and eye contact, but you and your girlfreind went home and thats what counts.

Three things that haven't been mentioned so far:

(1) If possible, it would be beneficial for you and your girlfriend to have a code word that means that you both need to stop what you're doing, become alert to a potential threat, and that she should follow your instructions as you respond to the threat (unless she's going to be involved in active defense).

(2) My CCW instructor told us that in our area if you open carry a handgun in town it makes you the target of muggers who will want to steal your gun and run to the nearest pawn shop for a quick $300. Maybe that's why they showed a special interest in you.

(3) You can often move your shopping cart between you and a threat to give you a protective barrier...
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    T
    (2) My CCW instructor told us that in our area if you open carry a handgun in town it makes you the target of muggers who will want to steal your gun and run to the nearest pawn shop for a quick $300. Maybe that's why they showed a special interest in you.

(3) You can often move your shopping cart between you and a threat to give you a protective barrier...
    If you can find some solid evidence that #2 happens I may start to worry about it. I'll give you a hint, there is not a big rush for muggers to take a gun from an armed citizen. That's a bit of a gamble with their life and they don't seem to be lining up to do it. I wish folks, like that instructor, would just own their feelings and come out and say they don't like OC instead of making up problems that are not happening.

#3 is a great idea.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'll echo what most of the others have said here - well done! No overt threats were needed, the two of you went home safe and sound.

FWIW, there are times when I CHOOSE to OC, and I 'know' (based on the spidy senses) that I have avioded confrontations because of it in very specific situations.

I think the take-away message from all this is stay aware = stay alive.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The OP cannot legally carry concealed since he is not yet of age.
    So his only legal choice (for now) is to carry open.

So unless you believe that he should not have the right to protect self & girlfriend with a firearm there should be no OPEN VS CONCEALED conversation in this thread since concealed carry is just not an option for him at this point in time.

So critique the scenario but, not his decision to carry OPEN.

Any more such posts will be deleted as Off Topic to this thread.
    Thank you.

I find myself at times wondering if people who cannot understand a simple statement at the top of the forum that this is not the place to debate CC vs. OC have the same problem understanding the much more complicated self defense statutes...

And I am 99.9% CC...

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    If you can find some solid evidence that #2 happens I may start to worry about it. I'll give you a hint, there is not a big rush for muggers to take a gun from an armed citizen. That's a bit of a gamble with their life and they don't seem to be lining up to do it. I wish folks, like that instructor, would just own their feelings and come out and say they don't like OC instead of making up problems that are not happening.
    According to his resume my instructor has many years of experience in law enforcement in our area, in multiple roles and agencies. He gave us many tips that seemed quite reasonable for handling a wide range of threat situations that I know are common in our area because they're often in the local news. One of the tips was that, in our town, muggers tend to work in pairs or groups, and some see openly carried weapons as quick sources of cash (from the local pawn shop), and cautioned us to be extra careful. I got no hint during two days of instruction that he was against open carry; only that he wanted to prepare us as well as possible to handle as wide a range of threat situations as possible. Although I have never seen this particular issue reported in the local news, I have no reason to doubt him, and indeed have found much of what he taught us independently verified since then. So if I choose to openly carry in town, I'll heed his warning and try to have better than usual situational awareness.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

According to his resume my instructor has many years of experience in law enforcement in our area, in multiple roles and agencies. He gave us many tips that seemed quite reasonable for handling a wide range of threat situations that I know are common in our area because they're often in the local news. One of the tips was that, in our town, muggers tend to work in pairs or groups, and some see openly carried weapons as quick sources of cash (from the local pawn shop), and cautioned us to be extra careful. I got no hint during two days of instruction that he was against open carry; only that he wanted to prepare us as well as possible to handle as wide a range of threat situations as possible. Although I have never seen this particular issue reported in the local news, I have no reason to doubt him, and indeed have found much of what he taught us independently verified since then. So if I choose to openly carry in town, I'll heed his warning and try to have better than usual situational awareness.

Sure it seems reasonable enough, except noone can find any evidence of it happening. If you do OC you need to pay extra attention to your space and who is around you. Most OC'ers take being disarmed as a serious possibility even though it is by no means a regular occurrence. The one case people cite most seems to have been a false police report. So thinking about it is a good idea. Just don't get caught up in spreading it as fact because it is far from it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    What would you have done?
    I would not rely on those whose judgment and perception of the obvious is so impaired that they can not follow simple forum rules. As they can not do so from the comfort and safety of their home they are not folks I would consider competent sources of information on how to rationally and legally conduct your self under stressful life and death scenarios.

That said I think you articulated the scenario very well it was crystal clear to me exactly what you were seeing and feeling. Sounds like you were spot on and that you conducted yourself very well. I'd go so far as to say a perfect example of how one should conduct themselves in that scenario. Based upon the distances you described my take is that once the thug was close enough to determine that it was a gun on your hip and not some cool high tech gadget common sense and fear took over. Not all thugs are complete idiots. As confirmed by your second encounter, you were the last person on the planet he wanted to engage.

I would have that talk with your girlfriends ask if she trusts your judgment enough to respond in a predetermined way or follow directions if you sense danger. Explain that you care about her and how you feel obligated to protect her when you can. As others have said following direction without question or without evaluating the scenario herself runs contrary to human nature. So it is something you two will need to practice. Than if she is willing work out a plan. Select a key word or phrase that you do not normally use. Heads Up and Time to Bail or Bail are what the wife and I use. The first is wake up pay attention be ready to draw, my wife lives in condition white despite all my efforts. At least now she will go on alert when asked. The second is leave, stop whatever she is doing and leave be ready to draw her weapon and run. My wife understands that with her in the picture my attention is divided, distracted from the threat. That by getting out of the picture she allows me to focus on the threat, better able to protect myself and her. Of course IMHO you should discuss her having a gun of her own for when you are not there and back up if need be.
    Again provo, you seem to be well on your way to being a responsible member of the community and fine example to your peers.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I would not rely on those whose judgment and perception of the obvious is so impaired that they can not follow simple forum rules. As they can not do so from the comfort and safety of their home they are not folks I would consider competent sources of information on how to rationally and legally conduct your self under stressful life and death scenarios.

That statement made me laugh out loud.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Thanks for the help guys! I thought they have to check to see if guns are stolen at the pawn shop?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links