Gun-Rights Advocates Open a New Front

This is a discussion on Gun-Rights Advocates Open a New Front within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just saw this, this morning. It was a good read. It's true too. I've been thinking this about the NRA for years. While they are ...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Just saw this, this morning. It was a good read. It's true too. I've been thinking this about the NRA for years. While they are a good organization, I really don't think they speak up as much as they could.

FOXNews.com - Gun-Rights Advocates Open a New Front

No organization is going to be perfect for all it's members, all the time. If anyone feels inclined to join these splinter groups, I suggest dual membership.

One reason the NRA has been effective is that it has huge membership numbers. Don't neuter that position by dropping your membership and don't believe all the hype you read in the media. Remember, one of the anti's tactics is divide and conquer.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I see what you are saying and I am a proud NRA member. I would never cancel my membership, all I am saying is I don't think they could speak up as much as they could.

Distinguished Member
    hmmmmm From the article:

"The NRA is "no longer absolutely the 800-pound gorilla" in the pro-gun movement, said Gary Marbut, a life member of the NRA and president of the Montana Shooting Sports Association, an NRA affiliate. "The NRA is running the risk of becoming insignificant, of fading into the background."

For a few thousand people to show, that's impressive. But to say that the NRA isn't the big guy on the block.....that's naive. The NRA will be our primary advocacy group for the foreseeable future. Headcount, funding, network, and so on. The NRA will never satisfy every one of our individual wish lists but they function, generally speaking, pretty well. I wouldn't cancel my membership check just yet.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

The NRA is far from fading away, they still have all the infrastructure and the money that goes along with it. Considering where we were back in 1995 versus right now, I think the NRA has done a bang-up job of preserving our rights as gun owners; Think about it, who would have thought back in those dark days of 1994 when AWB1 and the Brady bill passed that just 15 years later we would have concealed carry in almost every state with open carry and reciprocation expanding every year??
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    "More and more the gun-rights movement is moving toward a stand-up-and-shout approach,"
    said Jeff Knox, director of the Firearms Coalition, a for-profit, loose-knit coalition of activists

Hrmmmm......
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Um...
    or to exploit loopholes in state gun laws to purchase semi-automatic rifles.
    I talk to a lot of gun owners and "exploiting loopholes" isn't typically on our wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    The NRA is far from fading away, they still have all the infrastructure and the money that goes along with it. Considering where we were back in 1995 versus right now, I think the NRA has done a bang-up job of preserving our rights as gun owners; Think about it, who would have thought back in those dark days of 1994 when AWB1 and the Brady bill passed that just 15 years later we would have concealed carry in almost every state with open carry and reciprocation expanding every year??
    Exactly. I'm not saying the NRA is the one and only organization to support... but I'll skip a few lunches out and pay my yearly dues.

VIP Member
    The NRA is "no longer absolutely the 800-pound gorilla" in the pro-gun movement, said Gary Marbut, a life member of the NRA and president of the Montana Shooting Sports Association, an NRA affiliate. "The NRA is running the risk of becoming insignificant, of fading into the background."

I've been a NRA Life Member since about 1985. Is the NRA perfect? NO. Is there any organization that fits into what would be considered perfect. Again the answer is NO. The NRA like any other organization must pick the battles they feel they can win. You don't spend millions of dollars on a fight you know is lost before it starts.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Life member of the NRA here. I joined in Sept 2008

Reason I joined? Benefits, news, RSS feeds, magazine, discounts, etc.

Besides that it is a great power to help with the fight to keep our freedom of the 2A. I believe the guy starting that group may be in it for publicity and money. Can't imagine a for profit organization would really be in it for anything but the profit.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I believe a "For Profit" organization will not really be in the fight for you. They are looking to make money and they will stretch out their fight for you as long as possible to keep the money coming. Why would they jump right in and win all the battles (if they could) and end their profit share? JMHO!

"More and more the gun-rights movement is moving toward a stand-up-and-shout approach,"
    said Jeff Knox, director of the Firearms Coalition, a for-profit, loose-knit coalition of activists
    I wonder if he is related to the Knox who tried to pull a palace coup in the NRA several years ago - and failed?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links