Open Carry Mistake!

This is a discussion on Open Carry Mistake! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GLOCKREAPER Mind your own business. Unfortunately, Glockreaper, when one person screws up with OCing it messes us all up. In some parts ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKREAPER View Post
    Mind your own business.
    Unfortunately, Glockreaper, when one person screws up with OCing it messes us all up. In some parts of our fine country all it would take is one person to carelessly un-holster a firearm to secure it in their car and the antis' would be all over it with campaigns about how this person could have pointed a loaded firearm at a figurative kid across the street and next thing you know the "gun free zones" grow.

Open carry is not just a right that we chose to exercise, in this world it is also a political statement. I hope that if I make such a mistake while OCing that another person who carries be it OC or CC with look out of the "right" and call me on it.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

2. Remove Ads

DCR
    Gah! I was thinking concealed carry when I typed my response. Proof that concealed carry makes you thin criminal. :) What I get for making hasty replies.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    Open carry is not just a right that we chose to exercise, in this world it is also a political statement.
    In my opinion and in my situation I have to disagree. Although groups like the Brady campaign would try to make everyone believe I am making a political statement or pushing my gun in people's face when I open carry...

in reality I am either too lazy to conceal or want to keep the sweat off the gun while I work. Since it is legal, I don't see a problem.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...and their off!
    Let's see...Mmmmm threads on "Post Office Carry", O.K.
    Yep...right next to "Concealed Carry Badges"
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

re

hmmm, leos have a look??? well the goes the street crimes undercover unit down the drain
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    LEO is my guess or he has some special permit. (or he just doesn't know because the CPL he took didn't fully explain that part)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Saw something today that made me wish I had a camera on me.

I was heading to the Post Office today and parked on the street. I disarmed and lock my firearm in the car went in and took care of my business, but on my way out I saw something.
    I past a guy getting in to his car after dropping off a stack of letters, with his gun holstered on his belt. Not only did he drive into the forbidden "gun free zone" but the guy actually went into the building with his firearm (looked like a Glock) still in his holster!

I was to far away to give him a verbal 2x4 up side the head for being stupid. He is just dang lucky that we were in an area were firearms are perfectly acceptable with the population, and he didn't get his self arrested for violating federal muck.
    From my perspective the guy could have been:
    an LEO from our of State
    An Armed Private Investigator (I am in that professon, am armed, also go to the PO to drop off mail and video. I remember where I am in these situations in order to not break the local/state/Federal laws)
    Bail bondsman, or similar.
    Honest businessman that just forgot to dis-arm himself when he went into the building.
    and (drum roll )
    Just an honest shmuck that totally forgot to leave his gun in his vehicle (which, could have very well happened)
    I'm not saying, his actions were within his legal limits.
    I AM also saying that yes, this type of behavior, will lead to more legislation hindering all of us. More common sense and personal acountability will benifit all of us in the end, whether it's Open carry or Concealed carry.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

He's lucky they did'nt go POSTAL ON HIM ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

He may have been a volunteer test case.

Quote Originally Posted by hipthunder View Post
    hmmm, leos have a look??? well the goes the street crimes undercover unit down the drain
    LOL... so true, so true.

I can introduce you to several people in various areas of law enforcement that I'm certain no one would ever guess that as their occupation. The one who would fit your description best, is a US Air Marshall ... you know, the one's who like to look like average traveler 101 and like everyone else.... pot belly and all.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    wow people.... there is nothing wrong with speaking to someone that is open carrying...
    Either way I don't think mamakennedy was meaning to yell at the guy but merely to see whats up and maybe save that guy's freedom.
    If he is to be responsible, as a carrier of a weapon, he should be responsible enough, on his own, to know where he can and cannot carry. "Mind your own business" is a good idea.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Mind your own business.
    That seldom seems to be the first option anymore.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    He's lucky they did'nt go POSTAL ON HIM ; )
    H/D
    You mean crumple or tear it up and deliver it to the wrong address?

Mind your own business.
    THANK YOU!

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that....
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

If I had been able to talk to him I wouldn't have been rude...the approach would have been more along the lines of "you fly is down" with out trying to draw any attention.
    Exactly the right approach IMO. I do not understand the head in the sand or ignore it if I can not profit or benefit mentality. What is up with that? What ever happened to common decency and consideration for others. I'd do like you try and mention it in case it was a mistake.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links