Open Carry Mistake!

This is a discussion on Open Carry Mistake! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LongRider Exactly the right approach IMO. I do not understand the head in the sand or ignore it if I can not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open Carry Mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Exactly the right approach IMO. I do not understand the head in the sand or ignore it if I can not profit or benefit mentality. What is up with that? What ever happened to common decency and consideration for others. I'd do like you try and mention it in case it was a mistake.
    It's not a "head in the sand" attitude. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? The man carrying the pistol may have been LE, or otherwise authorized to carry in the post office....despite the best psychic abilities of those observing him. His actions are his responsibility, and his alone.

It amazes me that, on a forum full of people who just want to be left alone to exercise their rights in peace, some people think it's their sworn duty to "educate" those who they deem ignorant out in public. Unless he is a postal inspector, it is truly none of the OP's business. I'm quite sure that, unlike having a fly unzipped, the pistol packing postal customer was well aware that he had a gun with him. The whole essence of open carry is to put it on display for the world to see.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKREAPER View Post
    Mind your own business.
    I agree I dont understand why some people think they need to reprimand everyone. You dont know who he was.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    I'm quite sure that, unlike having a fly unzipped, the pistol packing postal customer was well aware that he had a gun with him. The whole essence of open carry is to put it on display for the world to see.
    No despite what you may think many folks have open carried for thirty, forty or more years. As being the most comfortable practical way for them to carry. Open Carry is not some new fangled see I've got a gun movement to establish new privileges. Open Carry has been an American tradition across this nation for over 500 years. Nothing new about it. Open Carry is a common every day occurrence in much of the United States.

Based on the OP post this was an elderly man who may have simply spaced out. Ala left his fly open. Most days my gun goes on with my pants I barely notice it. Like others I have said I can see myself making a similar mistake. A polite non-confrontational heads up could have been most helpful for what may very well be a decent gentleman before he accidentally found himself in a life changing nightmare.

Why folks think that being a decent considerate human being is such a huge unwarranted burden is completely beyond my understanding. So we will probably have to just agree to disagree
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

No despite what you may think many folks have open carried for thirty, forty or more years. As being the most comfortable practical way for them to carry. Open Carry is not some new fangled see I've got a gun movement to establish new privileges. Open Carry has been an American tradition across this nation for over 500 years. Nothing new about it. Open Carry is a common every day occurrence in much of the United States.

Based on the OP post this was an elderly man who may have simply spaced out. Ala left his fly open. Most days my gun goes on with my pants I barely notice it. Like others I have said I can see myself making a similar mistake. A polite non-confrontational heads up could have been most helpful for what may very well be a decent gentleman before he accidentally found himself in a life changing nightmare.

Why folks think that being a decent considerate human being is such a huge unwarranted burden is completely beyond my understanding. So we will probably have to just agree to disagree
    You mean the decent "verbal 2x4 upside the head" that the OP suggested? Sounds really polite. And since when is "mid-fifties" elderly? Quit trying to make this into something it is not....it is quite plainly someone sticking their nose into someone else's business. You, of course, are free to pretend that it's an "elderly man" who "forgot" that his gun was on his hip.

I will always agree to disagree with the arrogance of someone who thinks his way of thinking is the only way to be a "decent human being." Perhaps it also has something to do with me being completely unable to understand why someone needs to introduce an openly carried weapon into every social interaction of the day. So much for consideration of others.....
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Devided we stand. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree.

No the 2x4 alalogy probably wasn't the best choice of words but I would say if I ever was in that mans shoes I would appreciate the concern. If nobody said anything and the guy wasn't authorized he would be put in jail. Who knows maybe it would have been the old man to "educate".
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    I seriously doubt his was an LEO...he was about 5'7", mid fifties, and very much a pot belly....he had his shoulders rolled forward, and did not make eye contact with anyone else in the parking lot, it stuck me as a serious lack of SA.
    sounds like a cop to me

You mean the decent "verbal 2x4 upside the head" that the OP suggested?
    At no time did I advocate that. To imply I did is a blatant LIE.

YPerhaps it also has something to do with me being completely unable to understand why someone needs to introduce an openly carried weapon into every social interaction of the day. So much for consideration of others.....
    The truth revealed. Than what are you doing on a Pro Open Carry forum? Trolling? Here to disrupt OC threads? Obviously. No doubt in my mind you would not opt to help the guy out because you don't like his mode of carry. No doubt in my mind you'd gloat if he got charged. Maybe even report him so that he would get arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Devided we stand. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree.
    Problem is that there is no we here, if we is defined by being Pro 2A. Being on the forum or even owning a gun does not make anyone Pro 2A. Want to bet that half of the members here support some kind of Brady Bunch gun control measure? I agree we need to unite under one banner for the unrestricted acceptance of 2A as written in the Constitution as Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona have done. Those that do not support that are not allies of 2A.
    Instead they are Brady Bunch supporters. I am 100% opposed to all enemies of the Constitution, freedom and liberty.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    At no time did I advocate that. To imply I did is a blatant LIE.

The truth revealed. Than what are you doing on a Pro Open Carry forum? Trolling? Here to disrupt OC threads? Obviously. No doubt in my mind you would not opt to help the guy out because you don't like his mode of carry. No doubt in my mind you'd gloat if he got charged. Maybe even report him so that he would get arrested.

Problem is that there is no we here, if we is defined by being Pro 2A. Being on the forum or even owning a gun does not make anyone Pro 2A. Want to bet that half of the members here support some kind of Brady Bunch gun control measure? I agree we need to unite under one banner for the unrestricted acceptance of 2A as written in the Constitution as Vermont, Alaska and now Arizona have done. Those that do not support that are not allies of 2A.
    Instead they are Brady Bunch supporters. I am 100% opposed to all enemies of the Constitution, freedom and liberty.
    if you believe in freedom of the people then you should also advocate obeying the law (however dumb the law may be) The OP said she wanted to make the guy aware that he just went into a federal building with a gun. Whether or not he is allowed may never be known.

My statement was to all the people who said she should have minded her own business. Sometimes you have to disagree with someone. It happens however like I said I can appreciate a concern expressed to me in an adult manner and either rectifying or explaining.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    if you believe in freedom of the people then you should also advocate obeying the law (however dumb the law may be) The OP said she wanted to make the guy aware that he just went into a federal building with a gun. Whether or not he is allowed may never be known.

My statement was to all the people who said she should have minded her own business. Sometimes you have to disagree with someone. It happens however like I said I can appreciate a concern expressed to me in an adult manner and either rectifying or explaining.
    We are in 100% agreement. What I have been saying all along, that we should look out for each other. To be clear the only part that I was responding to you was after I quoted you. While still accurate IMO not relevant to what you were saying, Sorry My Bad

No bet. Just reading some of the posts makes that painfully obvious.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Personally, I would have made my way over to the individual and spoken to him very quietly, just to ascertain what the situation was. I may have either reminded him that his weapon was showing, or shake his hand, telling him it's nice to meet a fellow carrier. If indeed it were a mishap, I'm sure it would've been handled appropriately. If he were an LEO, he would have no problem saying so, more than likely in the same hushed tone.

I do understand that there are situations in which we must mind our own business. I also see the need to sometimes peek behind the curtain to make sure things are going "right." I am not the right police, but I make sure, to the best of my ability, I know what's going on around me without opening my mouth at all. When I need to speak, I will.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links