Cal. legislature moving to shut down open carry

This is a discussion on Cal. legislature moving to shut down open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Calif. bill would prohibit carrying guns in public By SAMANTHA YOUNG, Associated Press Writer Tuesday, April 20, 2010 (04-20) 14:21 PDT Sacramento, Calif. (AP) -- ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cal. legislature moving to shut down open carry

Cal. legislature moving to shut down open carry

Calif. bill would prohibit carrying guns in public

By SAMANTHA YOUNG, Associated Press Writer
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010
    (04-20) 14:21 PDT Sacramento, Calif. (AP) --
    Siding with law enforcement authorities, California lawmakers on Tuesday advanced legislation that would make it illegal to openly carry a gun in public, even if it's unloaded.

The bill cleared its first committee after an emotional debate that pitted public safety concerns against Second Amendment rights cited by gun owners.

"I think it puts all of us at such great risk," said Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, one of four Democrats who voted for the ban.
    Two Republicans on the Assembly Public Safety Committee voted against the bill, which now goes to the appropriations panel.

Current California law allows gun owners to carry a rifle or handgun in a holster in public if it is unloaded.

The bill's author, Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, D-San Diego, said unloaded guns pose a threat, in part because gun owners are allowed to carry ammunition and could load their weapon within seconds.

To emphasize her point, she wore a bulletproof vest while testifying before the committee.

Law enforcement also can't tell whether a gun is unloaded when approaching a person, said Lt. Wayne Bilowit, legislative advocate for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

"If you're carrying a gun and a magazine next to it, if you make a sudden movement, we don't know if the gun is loaded or unloaded," Bilowit said. "Sooner or later, someone is going to get hurt."

Florida, Illinois, Texas and the District of Columbia have a similar open-carry ban, according to the Legal Community Against Violence, a public interest law center based in San Francisco.

While California and 34 other states allow people to carry guns without a license, only California, North Dakota and Utah require that the weapon be unloaded.

Republicans on the Assembly committee complained the Democratic-controlled Legislature already has adopted too many laws restricting legitimate gun ownership in the state.

"Basically, the ones that are using these laws, the law-abiding citizens, are the ones being hurt here, not the criminals," said Assemblyman Curt Hagman, R-Chino Hills.

In California, loaded weapons can be carried in public only by those who have a concealed-weapons permit, which would not change under the Saldana bill.

Those permits are hard to obtain, requiring people to demonstrate they need to be armed. For that reason, gun owners say their only option is to carry an unloaded weapon as a way to deter trouble.

"If this bill were to be passed, I would be less safe," said Walter Stanley of the San Francisco suburb of Livermore. "What we're talking about is a right to bear arms, not a privilege."

Stanley, who began carrying his handgun about four months ago, is a member of the growing open-carry movement, which encourages gun owners to wear their weapons as they go about their daily lives.

Gun advocates gathered Monday at rallies in Washington, D.C., and outside the state Capitol in Sacramento to demonstrate for their right to bear arms.

A number of retailers have banned gun owners from bringing weapons into their stores. For example, California Pizza Kitchen issued a statement expressing concern "that the open display of firearms would be particularly disturbing to children and their parents."

Others such as Starbucks have sparked controversy by allowing open-carry advocates to bring their weapons into its coffee houses in the states that allow it.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...n123701D85.DTL

2. Remove Ads

Well, I won't be buying anymore CPK Pizza.
    Starbuck's is cool though. Love me some caffeine!

Typical Commiefornia mentality, Ihope this doesn't pass but I fear it will.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Maybe this will encourage some folks to get out and vote for representatives that actually believe in the Constitution in November.

The state is full of retards - bulletproof vest while testifying before the committee. Nice touch.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I still support turning off the water to Ca, and excising them from the union. But really, compared to the freedoms enjoyed in most states, is Ca really part of the union in anything more than name anyway? Seems like they are already second class citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    The state is full of retards - bulletproof vest while testifying before the committee. Nice touch.
    yup!..and whats really sad is that alot of them are leaving that state and heading into other states with their close minded mentality in hand!
    "Brains before Bullets"

I wonder IF it passed it would give enough support to make permits shall issue, then it could be a system similar to that which TN has in place.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Typical Commiefornia mentality, Ihope this doesn't pass but I fear it will.
    yes it makes me sick this antis just don't get it.... laws this laws that. Your only hurting the good people.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

What good is an unloaded gun?

Let's do the math here. 3 states and a district completely restrict OC. While 34 states allow OC in different forms, unloaded, loaded, permitted, unpermitted, etc. So the question is, who is having all these issues that they are worried about? Where are OC'ers being shot regularly? Where are people fleeing from the stores? Where is it putting people at MORE risk by allowing law abiding citizens to carry? But, fact's don't really matter to these people. It's about feelings and control over inalienable rights.

She thinks it's terrible that they could load their guns in seconds, I think it's a terrible idea to make them carry unloaded guns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for OC. But if they had more reasonable CC laws this would likely be less of an issue in CA. When you give the people no other option what to you expect them to do. Hopefully this goes nowhere, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Commiefornia with it's RINO governor - God save us.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

i have no interested in going to California ever. it is like going to anartica. no desire.

Is California related to Britain?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To emphasize her point, she wore a bulletproof vest while testifying before the committee.
    The article didn't mention that she was wearing a tinfoil hat.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links