Off-duty FL LEO O/C?

Off-duty FL LEO O/C?

This is a discussion on Off-duty FL LEO O/C? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not a LEO of any sort, but I am curious as to whether an off duty LEO is allowed to open carry off duty, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Off-duty FL LEO O/C?

I'm not a LEO of any sort, but I am curious as to whether an off duty LEO is allowed to open carry off duty, similarly as he would on duty.

Another similar question is, can he CC off duty withOUT a permit?

And lastly, what about as a reserve LEO for both of the above? I am considering becoming a reserve officer and I just curious as to whether this is a bonus, though I'm not too optimistic.

Administrator
    Yes, they can. Both reserve and full time... although that is no reason to become an LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I can't OC here in Florida, I don't mind if a LEO does. In fact, I want him to whenever I'm around. Keeps the BGs on their toes, and their attention away from me!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, they can. Both reserve and full time... although that is no reason to become an LEO.
    I know it's not a reason to. I simply said it would be a nice bonus. I already do reserve work where I live, but if/when I go back I would again start doing reserve work and was just curious.

I see you're in OH, are you saying that it's fine in OH or FL too?

IIRC, in NC taking the BLET class qualifies you for your CC permit. They cover the same ground at some point. Also some departments will tell you not only what you can carry but sometimes how you can carry off duty. Some states allow reserves to carry in areas restricted to general public carry. Should not be the main reason, but I agree it's a nice bonus if you do. YOu would have to dig through the Florida statutes to be absolutely sure though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    I know it's not a reason to. I simply said it would be a nice bonus. I already do reserve work where I live, but if/when I go back I would again start doing reserve work and was just curious.

I see you're in OH, are you saying that it's fine in OH or FL too?
    Nationwide is OK legally. I'm sure that there are some agencies that have policy contrary to LEOSA though.
    Are you doing reserve work in Israel? That has to be interesting. I'd love to hear about the differences some time. Are you an American living in Israel, or an Israeli looking to come to America?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nationwide is OK legally. I'm sure that there are some agencies that have policy contrary to LEOSA though.
    Are you doing reserve work in Israel? That has to be interesting. I'd love to hear about the differences some time. Are you an American living in Israel, or an Israeli looking to come to America?
    Thanks - yes I'm an American living in Israel. Off the bat I can tell you that the police here are much more informal. There's a large sense of community here, which permeates much of society so it's more like you policing your friends, really. For example, you're double parked, we pull up and ask you to move, and you reply, "sure, in a minute", and that's alright. I haven't been doing it too long, and started at the recommendation of another member on this forum, but it's definitely interesting...

We picked up a robbery suspect (female) and myself and another reserve officer sat in the back on each side of her . Most "cruisers" do not have a caged back seat. I've yet to see one, and I'm sure they have them, but crime here is really low so it doesn't really seem to be needed. Like I said, it's like a giant family. Hard to explain I guess.

Yes.

My agency has a policy that only allows OC off duty only if you are displaying creditinals such as badge carried on your person in plain view. And if doing so can only carry sidearm that we qualify with.

thanks for the answers guys. Seems like it's a general "yes"!

Senior Moderator
    I'm not a LEO of any sort, but I am curious as to whether an off duty LEO is allowed to open carry off duty, similarly as he would on duty.
    This is a grey area in the law, as the exemption for LEO's in the open carry prohibition specifically says when in the performance of their duties.

Yes, via two mechanisms. First is the federal LEOSA act, and also there is a specific Florida statute (790.052) that permits off-duty LEOs to carry a firearm.

My understanding from some LEOs I know is that many of them get a CWFL anyway, because the CWFL allows more flexibility in what you carry (electric weapon, chemical, impact weapon, knives. etc) where LEOSA and F.S. 790.052 only cover firearms.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Another advantage to a CCW in Florida is you can purchase and take possession of a firearm on the same day without the three day wait. Yes LEO's must wait the three days if they do not have the CCW. If I am off duty I am carrying concealed. I like the idea of someone only knowing I am armed if I want them to know it. I know of no LEO's who when off duty carry openly unless they are driving the company car.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have asked several LEOs here in FL, each told me that they could only carry OC in plain clothes if they display a badge. (from the horse's mouth...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

And lastly, what about as a reserve LEO for both of the above? I am considering becoming a reserve officer and I just curious as to whether this is a bonus, though I'm not too optimistic.
    No you cannot, even as off duty LEO, open carry in Florida unless (as stated several times, also displaying a badge. That is not word of mouth, that is from the ATF book itself.

Your law enforcement credentials allow you to carry concealed, nationwide, without a permit or license while off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My agency has a policy that only allows OC off duty only if you are displaying credentials such as badge carried on your person in plain view. And if doing so can only carry sidearm that we qualify with.
    That is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have asked several LEOs here in FL, each told me that they could only carry OC in plain clothes if they display a badge. (from the horses mouth...)
    Correct again.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Administrator
    Sorry, I made the assumption that a badge would go along with the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links