Oklahoma is one step closer!

This is a discussion on Oklahoma is one step closer! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oklahoma Senate passes open-carry bill By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau Published: 4/21/2010 11:37 AM Last Modified: 4/21/2010 10:28 PM OKLAHOMA CITY A bill ...

Oklahoma Senate passes open-carry bill

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
    Published: 4/21/2010 11:37 AM
    Last Modified: 4/21/2010 10:28 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY A bill allowing people with concealed-carry permits to openly carry weapons passed the Senate.

House Bill 3354 passed Wednesday with no debate and now heads to the House. The vote was 33-15.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, and Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, are the authors of the measure.

Sen. Tom Adelson, D-Tulsa, voted for it, saying he generally votes in favor of Second Amendment bills.

He said the state already has a concealed-carry law and that he didnt think the measure was a huge jump.

Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, voted against the measure.

I would not like to see 200 people carrying guns around Woodland Hills Mall, which is in his district, Crain said.

Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa, said she is concerned about allowing people to carry guns around public facilities.

We are moving into an environment to where everyone will be packing a pistol around here, she said.

Eason McIntyre voted against the measure.

I guess we are going back to the Wyatt Earp days, said Sen. Richard Lerblance, D-Hartshorne, referring to the frontier lawman.

Under the measure, people would be allowed to openly carry weapons in places such as bars, Lerblance said.

I cant believe that in modern society everyone is going to be packing heat, Lerblance said. He voted against the bill.

Tulsa World: Oklahoma Senate passes open-carry bill

The Tulsa World is pretty liberal as far as Oklahoma goes. It's funny how they have more opinions from senators who voted against than for, despite the overwhelming majority voting for it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Here's a hint. If you attach it to the CC permit you are not letting more people carry guns, you are letting the permitted people choose how they carry. Good grief, get a clue. Out of sight out of mind in their little world I guess.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Then these "smart" representatives (who's comments are so clueless), need to explain why Chicago's gun ban has not stopped gun violence and murder in their streets .... much higher than most other places.

I understand that Chief, like I said it's not the ultimate goal but it would be a step in the right direction.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Good grief. I'm glad the bill passed the senate, but some of those comments are ridiculous. Why are so many of our politicians getting their history lesson from wild west movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Then these "smart" representatives (who's comments are so clueless), need to explain why Chicago's gun ban has not stopped gun violence and murder in their streets .... much higher than most other places.
    What Chicago are you talking about? The one I hear stories of is a beautiful land, full of love and peace. No pesky guns, no crime, no hate. Flowers line the street, yet it never rains.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Man I sure wish Texas would follow suit!

"“I would not like to see 200 people carrying guns around Woodland Hills Mall,” which is in his district, Crain said."

Typical politician. Such a shallow statement. It is about what he wants rather than what the people he represents want.

Go Oklahoma!

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I understand that Chief, like I said it's not the ultimate goal but it would be a step in the right direction.
    I gotcha. Not trying to give you or any of the folks that pushed it through any grief. But the one comment about "everyone packing a pistol" is just typical of how politicians over state something for the cause they believe in. I'm all for using incrementalism against the folks that want to use it on us!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I actually wrote an email to a couple editors last night regarding the article. I wrote mostly about the bias of the article, which is obvious. Two quoted words from proponents and four full quotes from senators who voted against. That's pretty weird numbers considering the votes were stacked completely the other way. The article may only lay down facts and accurate quotes, but it does so in a manner that shows heavy bias. Will post their response if/when I get one.
    My blog

Here's another thought....

Arizona has always allowed open carry; even before the days of CCW permits. We don't need a permit to open carry, and never have. Soon we won't need a permit to carry concealed, either (already passed and signed if anyone missed it).

I've never seen 200 people carrying firearms anywhere around here. Not even on the streets of Tombstone during "Helldorado Days" with all the actors and such. Yes, there are people who open carry (including me much of the time), but not THAT many.

But I hope someday to see it. It'd be GREAT!

:)

Daryl

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Man I sure wish Texas would follow suit!
    Hopefully next year. It would have passed last year, but one guy didn't allow it to be voted on.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I guess we are going back to the Wyatt Earp days, said Sen. Richard Lerblance, D-Hartshorne, referring to the frontier lawman.
    I never understand those we don't want to go back to the wild west days remarks. Exactly what is wrong with people being more polite to each other? What is wrong with LESS crime, LESS violence, LESS murder and rape per capita than we have in our "modern" society. Seems like the going back to the wild west days would be an improvement for peaceful law abiding citizens.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links