Need some help for school

This is a discussion on Need some help for school within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am doing a report for collage on open carry in CT. Part of the report I am doing is to look at the crime ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help for school

Need some help for school

I am doing a report for collage on open carry in CT.

Part of the report I am doing is to look at the crime rate in city's that that Have No carry laws/Limited (NYC and Chicago). The part that I need help with is finding two city's that Open carry is legal and very much the norm.

I know that I choose two of the larger city's for the non carry side. but will cover that by breaking down the populations numbers and the crime rate's.

Thank you for your help.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

2. Remove Ads

Phoenix, AZ has 1.4 million people. Detroit, MI has 1 million. AZ and MI allow for open carry. That'd give a good Southern and Northern state.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I live in Sierra Vista, Arizona.

Open carry is accepted very well here, as well as CCW. One can open carry, fully loaded without a permit. There are very few businesses posted "no firearms". Until last Sept, carry was forbidden in Az in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises. That's been changed, and while I don't know how it might affect your report, I thought I'd mention it.

If you want major cities, try Phoenix and/or Tucson. Both accept open carry, but it's less common in the larger cities. CCW is the norm there, and is fairly common here in Sierra Vista as well.

For population, I'd guess us at maybe 50,000+. There's a major military intelligence base here, and it's not exactly a "small" town any more.

Hope this helps.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post

Part of the report I am doing is to look at the crime rate in cities that that have no carry laws/limited (NYC and Chicago). The part that I need help with is finding two cities where open carry is legal and very much the norm.

I know that I chose two of the larger cities for the non-carry side, but will cover that by breaking down the population numbers and the crime rates.

Thank you for your help.
    Spell/Grammar checker can be your friend. I only mention it because it is a paper for school. Every single day, I see seniors in high school who cannot spell college...
    Respectfully submitted,

Always get this one correct...I'm just sayin'...
    We all (including me) make typo's within these threads, and when we see them...it's usually too late to fix them (time sensitive).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Spell/Grammar checker can be your friend. I only mention it because it is a paper for school. Every single day, I see seniors in high school who cannot spell college...
    Just goes to show you can let the Supt retire from school, but you can't take the school out of the RetSupt.
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Respectfully submitted,

Always get this one correct...I'm just sayin'...
    We all (including me) make typo's within these threads, and when we see them...it's usually too late to fix them (time sensitive).
    As a lurking Spelling and Grammar Nazi, I'll add my own peeve - don't use apostrophes for plurals!!! E.g., the OP wrote "city's" instead of "cities" amd "rate's" instead of "rates." And there is nothing wrong with "typos" instead of "typo's." Using an apostrophe to create a plural is rarely necessary.

Back to the bunker...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Part of the report I am doing is to look at the crime rate in city's that that Have No carry laws/Limited (NYC and Chicago). The part that I need help with is finding two city's that Open carry is legal and very much the norm.

I know that I choose two of the larger city's for the non carry side. but will cover that by breaking down the populations numbers and the crime rate's.

Thank you for your help.

Try Anchorage, AK, for one, maybe Mesa, AZ, and possibly some of the cities in Wyoming and Montana. You should look at population density as well as population. Use Google to find the 100 most populous cities in the US, then dig a bit deeper to find the population density. Good luck with your project.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Phoenix, AZ has 1.4 million people. Detroit, MI has 1 million. AZ and MI allow for open carry. That'd give a good Southern and Northern state.
    Phoenix is hardly in the South.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Might look at the Richmond VA area for your paper. Richmond metro population as of 2007 was approximately 1.2 million.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you guys. Sorry about the spelling I have never been good at it, but give me a firearm and I can field strip it in a few seconds.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***CCDL member***

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I like using Phoenix as a Southwest city; I would consider areas of Vermont as well for the SW/NE spread, but can't for the life of me think of a major metro area in Vermont!

Maybe Richmond VA for a "southern" state?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Straight comparisons aren't very helpful.

Some of the cities mentioned have complicated socioeconomic issues that affect their crime rates substantially more than carry laws do. I'm no anti, but from the research I've seen, there's no strong relationship between carry laws and crime, up or down. And yes, I've read Lott's studies, and the rebuttals and counter-rebuttals to them. And Kleck's studies, and the NSPOF surveys, etc.

Thank you guys. Sorry about the spelling I have never been good at it, but give me a firearm and I can field strip it in a few seconds.
    Ruger Mk III?
    Just kiddin around, I have one and I don't think they are near as bad as people claim, but still probably takes me 30 secs to put back together
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Ruger Mk III?
    Just kiddin around, I have one and I don't think they are near as bad as people claim, but still probably takes me 30 secs to put back together
    lol my wife has one that took me for a loop the first time but now it is a peice of cake.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***CCDL member***

Just be mindful that correlation is not the same as causation. Open carry, is probably less statistically significant, from a statistical regression perspective than the number of permits, firearms, region, unemployment,etc. I would look to prominent economists such as John Lott for statistical info rather than anecdotal evidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links