my first OC-WWW

This is a discussion on my first OC-WWW within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last few weeks I have been open carrying whenever possible. So far I have only had 2 people say anything to me. Once ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first OC-WWW

Talking my first OC-WWW

For the last few weeks I have been open carrying whenever possible.

So far I have only had 2 people say anything to me. Once at a gas station a local LEO approached me, asked how I liked my XD, and mentioned he was thinking of buying one for his off duty carry weapon. I told him I love mine and will always recommend it.

The cashier at the Kroger grocery store we go to asked if I was a LEO to which I replied "no sir, just a man exercising my rights". "Good for you" he replied, telling me he has relatives who work for Ohio Hwy Patrol and likes to see civilians carrying.

Well today I took my final step in becoming an official OCer... my WWW. It went very smoothly, my gf had to return a Wii controler, so our first stop was to electronics, and then to Customer service to make the exchange. Not one single peep from the sheep.

I am glad I am able to CC when needed, and I still do while working or going to places where I do not want to draw attention to myself or risk starting an argument with liberal relatives, but I think OCing is a very liberating feeling.

Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

What is WWW

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    What is WWW
    Wally World Walk.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    What is WWW
    Wally-World-Walk
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Good for you. Keep up your SA. I agree, it is quite liberating to OC, but there are times, I'd rather CC.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member

Good to go.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody respects the gun."

Im also from around columbus. What part are you from? I have been considering open carry even though I have ccw. Im from West Jefferson about 10 miles west of Col.
    Veritas Aequitas

Good job!

In WI OC is the only way you can legally carry. I think my first was a WWW as well. Then an OC picnic. We also cannot carry in a vehicle, so we have to holster up after we get there, then unholster before leaving. So basically the only time I really carry is when I go to Wal-Mart and I know I'll be there for a while. Sometimes other places, but not often. Still have never had anyone ask me about my gun, even when standing in busy Wal-Mart checkout lines. Even had 2 people talk to me while I was there last time, and nothing at all about the firearm (and I know they saw it!).

I do however have CC permits for other states, and last week I drove to TN with my fiance, and I CCed everywhere I legally could. This was only my 2nd time CCing. But I love how easy it is to CC after OCing. Don't get nervous about it at all :)
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    We also cannot carry in a vehicle, so we have to holster up after we get there, then unholster before leaving...
    You'd think that they would realize that the more you handle the weapon, the more you increase your chances for having an accident.

In the holster at home, leave it there all day, don't take it out except for emergencies or to put it away at night.

Sorry, not trying to de-rail, but that's just stupid. Maybe they WANT accidents to happen, so they can claim the "inherent dangers of firearm carry"...?
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post

I think OCing is a very liberating feeling.

Yes it is!

Good job and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    I am glad I am able to CC when needed, and I still do while working or going to places where I do not want to draw attention to myself or risk starting an argument with liberal relatives, but I think OCing is a very liberating feeling.
    Hm - I've never tried it (OC is legal in MI) but...isn't it a bad idea tactically?

Don't you have to be way more concerned about weapon retention? And if you take mechanical steps towards that end (retention holster) don't you lose the advantage of a quicker draw, i.e., not having to draw from deep concealment?

Also, isn't there a good chance of being noticed by a BG casing a place, and being the first one shot in the ensuing massacre? In effect, you're sacrificing one of your tactical advantages (concealment, and therefore surprise) for...what, exactly? To make a statement? For a liberating feeling? I don't get it.

Yeah I know maybe a BG will go elsewhere when he sees your shootin' iron on your hip, but maybe not. Maybe he just takes a step up the force continuum and opens fire on you straight off, since you're obviously a threat to his planned activities...

I'm no expert, just tossing ideas out that I've always wondered about re:the wisdom or the reasoning behind OC...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Hm - I've never tried it (OC is legal in MI) but...isn't it a bad idea tactically?

Don't you have to be way more concerned about weapon retention? And if you take mechanical steps towards that end (retention holster) don't you lose the advantage of a quicker draw, i.e., not having to draw from deep concealment?

Also, isn't there a good chance of being noticed by a BG casing a place, and being the first one shot in the ensuing massacre? In effect, you're sacrificing one of your tactical advantages (concealment, and therefore surprise) for...what, exactly? To make a statement? For a liberating feeling? I don't get it.

Yeah I know maybe a BG will go elsewhere when he sees your shootin' iron on your hip, but maybe not. Maybe he just takes a step up the force continuum and opens fire on you straight off, since you're obviously a threat to his planned activities...

I'm no expert, just tossing ideas out that I've always wondered about re:the wisdom or the reasoning behind OC...
    Please note this wording in the topic description...........

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post

1)Actually a draw from most passive retention holsters would normally be faster than from "deep concealment".

2) "A chance"? Yes..."A good chance"? I don't see it...especially since nobody quoting that concern (or anyone else for that matter) has never yet shown a single incident of it happening. I spent close to half my life around BGs...and the vast majority would (like us) rather go through life without ever shooting someone. They just want money and to get it the easiest way possible.

Now I will add in the disclaimer that I am a CCer and have been for about 30 years. I personally choose not to OC mostly because I have fought enough battles in my life and don't need the hassle of dealing with scared sheep...though I am not one to hesitate to remove my shirt if the situation calls for it for my comfort, and, if it exposes my CC'd weapon, so be it.

My hat is off to those who choose to OC and deal with the hassles.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Please note this wording in the topic description...........

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links